Wanna See Multi-Colored Hybrid Cat's-Eye Marbles?

I respectfully disagree, Rich.

I think one of yours is foreign (you probably know which one I mean) and one of Edna's is. But we agree almost all are Vitro. That's the key info Ausman needs to know for his search. *big smile*

I have quite a few Vitro hybrid cats and I find them lovely. Rich, I have the same book and the info there is kind of vague and the way they explain it is not good. The Vitro Hybrids have fatter veins and more typical of cross thrus and are generally up to 5 vanes while the later ones are much narrower vanes up to 8 or so and hug the outside of the glass more. From what I have read and heard, Vitro hybrids are around circa 1955-1965 and the caged cats are circa 1970 and later.

That line on p. 162 of AMMM does sound like the cage was introduced in 1954. Maybe that was a misunderstanding or editing error. I based my opinion mostly on the packaging the different kinds of cat's eyes are found in. And here's an ad from 1957 showing the chubbier vanes. ( :

VITROWHITIESCATEYESAD-10-57TOYSN-1.jpg

Steph, you just gave a very clear example of why it is important to use "a primary source" when identifying or dating a historical artifact.

Books are valuable references but text is only as reliable as the author's source, and that source's source, etc. Printed enough times, misconception or even misprinting can become "fact".

I am always being told that I need to get marble books and read them. As a general rule, they are helpful but only on a general basis. They fail when one searches for exact specifics - not the book's fault because if the book actually did include everything, it'd be to heavy to pick up!

Thanks - I have 100 more 3 or 4 colored coming in the mail - story is the person bought a barn where a man invented a golf ball picker-upper and wanted to invent a marble picker-upper and bought 2,000 of the hybrid cat's-eye marbles - I bought 100 of them - woo, woo!!!!! Right now, they are in the mail.