Some Nice And Colourful Single Pontil Marbles!

Here's a pic of 6 single pontil marbles from my collection. I love these marbles with blobs of colour! The largest is 1-9/16", and only has red blobs, on a light blue base and an outer clear casing. really strange marble.

I'd love to see pics of other marbles like these! so please post them here.

post-92-0-95997700-1360229045_thumb.jpg

OK, Jeroen, you know mines already, but it might be interesting for others to see them. I hope others will post some pictures too, it is one of my favourite type of marbles and there are not many to see in books. So, show you treasures, please.

Thanks !

Ron

post-2885-0-80105900-1360350676_thumb.jp

OK, Jeroen, you know mines already, but it might be interesting for others to see them. I hope others will post some pictures too, it is one of my favourite type of marbles and there are not many to see in books. So, show you treasures, please.

Thanks !

Ron

Thanks, Ron for posting yours! you have some of the finest examples of this type of marble I've ever seen. I also hope to see more pics from others!!!

Thanks, Ron for posting yours! you have some of the finest examples of this type of marble I've ever seen. I also hope to see more pics from others!!!

Hi Jeroen (and Ron),

Very beautiful and rare marbles, thanks for posting. Not many collectors in the US have similar marbles, unless of course, recently bought from European sellers. These bright colored marbles are found more in Europe and not seen much in the US. Could it be that they were made at a time when German marbles were no longer being imported into the US, say between the World Wars?

Hansel

Hi Jeroen (and Ron),

Very beautiful and rare marbles, thanks for posting. Not many collectors in the US have similar marbles, unless of course, recently bought from European sellers. These bright colored marbles are found more in Europe and not seen much in the US. Could it be that they were made at a time when German marbles were no longer being imported into the US, say between the World Wars?

Hansel

Hi Hansel, yes, you're right, these marbles were made in Germany when they no longer exported marbles to the USA. They all have bright colours (the so called 'English style') and rough pontils. They've only been showing up in US collections because of European dealers selling them on eBay etc.

Hi Hansel, yes, you're right, these marbles were made in Germany when they no longer exported marbles to the USA. They all have bright colours (the so called 'English style') and rough pontils. They've only been showing up in US collections because of European dealers selling them on eBay etc.

I still believe these were made before World War I. I just can't imagine that the Germans were able to produce handmade marbles after World War I. The country was totally down by then and I guess they had other priorities than producing marbles. I noticed that several of these marbles showed up in England, so they probably have been exported once.

But who knows... interesing topic.

Ron

Guest browse4antiques

Here are pics of a pair of marbles that I found together in the wild some years ago. They are each about 1.5", and based on the colors, they are same cane. It makes sense that this type of cloud is first off a joseph-coat cane. ... Roger

011-big-cloud.jpg012-big-joseph.jpg

Here are pics of a pair of marbles that I found together in the wild some years ago. They are each about 1.5", and based on the colors, they are same cane. It makes sense that this type of cloud is first off a joseph-coat cane. ... Roger

011-big-cloud.jpg012-big-joseph.jpg

Canada, without their own marble making machinery, probably kept importing marbles from Europe after the US had stopped.

Amongst other types of German marbles found more commonly in Canada than in the US are large ribbon (and maybe other) lutz.

I still believe these were made before World War I. I just can't imagine that the Germans were able to produce handmade marbles after World War I. The country was totally down by then and I guess they had other priorities than producing marbles. I noticed that several of these marbles showed up in England, so they probably have been exported once.

But who knows... interesing topic.

Ron

I also think they were made before WW I, around 1900-1905.

post-358-0-72753900-1360784685_thumb.jpgpost-358-0-31281800-1360784715_thumb.jpg

Ron,

In an earlier post you said "I just can't imagine that the Germans were able to produce handmade marbles after World War I. The country was totally down by then and I guess they had other priorities than producing marbles."

But here are two sides of a flyer from Glasfabrik Wernerhutte showing marbles for sale. It's undated, but I would guess from well after WW2, no?

regards,

Hansel

post-358-0-72753900-1360784685_thumb.jpgpost-358-0-31281800-1360784715_thumb.jpg

Ron,

In an earlier post you said "I just can't imagine that the Germans were able to produce handmade marbles after World War I. The country was totally down by then and I guess they had other priorities than producing marbles."

But here are two sides of a flyer from Glasfabrik Wernerhutte showing marbles for sale. It's undated, but I would guess from well after WW2, no?

regards,

Hansel

Hi Hansel

That is a really interesting leaflet. I tried to do some research in the internet. I found this book here in which all the glass-manufacturers in Germany were published, the "Glasfabrik Wernerhuette" too. The book was published in 1907.

http://archive.org/stream/deutschlandsgla00unkngoog#page/n2/mode/2up

But more interesting is the fact, that on "your" leaflet is mentioned that they also produce glass-parts for radios ! According to google the first radio-station in Germany was on air in 1923 ! So the leaflet has to be published later, my guess is between 1925 and 1933, when Hitler was elected for chancellor.

So this leaflet proves that marbles like sulphides, onionskins and swirls were definately produced between WW I and WW II which is very interesting because I (and probably most other collectors) always have thougth that no such marbles have been produced after WW I !! So the time range for these marbles has to be approximately from 1870 to 1930 or so.

Really really interesting, thanks a lot for posting it !

Ron

In 1924 There was still advertised for German marbles.

Because America itself had a flourishing marble industry at that time and cheaper by mechanization,it's obvious that America no longer need to import German marbles.

Till 1930 Germany had a great toy industrie.

here's an advertisment from 1924

1924_zpsbcf04d0a.jpg

Hi Hansel

That is a really interesting leaflet. I tried to do some research in the internet. I found this book here in which all the glass-manufacturers in Germany were published, the "Glasfabrik Wernerhuette" too. The book was published in 1907.

http://archive.org/s...age/n2/mode/2up

But more interesting is the fact, that on "your" leaflet is mentioned that they also produce glass-parts for radios ! According to google the first radio-station in Germany was on air in 1923 ! So the leaflet has to be published later, my guess is between 1925 and 1933, when Hitler was elected for chancellor.

So this leaflet proves that marbles like sulphides, onionskins and swirls were definately produced between WW I and WW II which is very interesting because I (and probably most other collectors) always have thougth that no such marbles have been produced after WW I !! So the time range for these marbles has to be approximately from 1870 to 1930 or so.

Ron

Ron, that is an interesting publication. For the German impaired members of this list, here are the English translations of the marble factories of 1907 as well as 1927:

http://tinyurl.com/adqgeyb

http://tinyurl.com/b3rf24t

I've heard (don't remember where, sorry, and it may or may not be true) that German marble production ceased abruptly when Germany went to war in 1939, but after the war, handmade marbles continued to be made right into the 1960's.

Hi Hansel

http://archive.org/s...age/n2/mode/2up

Ron

Radio's were made and used before 1923, in WW1 they used a lot of radio's for military purposes.

See: http://earlyradiohistory.us/1919bru.htm

so it's possible to leaflet is also from an earlier date and they made glass parts for these types of radio's.