Red Glass Guinea

post-299-0-66982600-1370862260_thumb.jpgpost-299-0-67222700-1370862279_thumb.jpg

Had no idea that a marble resembling a Guinea was made in Germany somewhere between 1870-1900. It is a bullet mold marble and was recently dug from an old glass house factory site in Saxony Germany. I had to polish it to get the calcium deposits loosened from it's surface as LCR didn't phase it after a week of full strength soaking. Being impatient, I polished it just enough to break through it's cement like surface crustation and then the LCR slowly started to work on it. There is still a lot of damage on it's surface as my goal was to retain as much of the marbles originality as possible. It's base glass is transparent ruby red. Also uncovered from the digging was a few sparkler type marbles, one with a good amount of mica. Other Guineas dug had transparent bases of yellow, black, lavender, and a couple shades of blue. There was also a couple of changeover type Sparklers with Guinea portions. All the marbles unearthed were bullet mold marbles. Just thought I would share the knowledge. There were also two Black Opaque Guineas. Ronnie

Is Gerhard doing the digging? ... Roger

I didn't get these from Mr. Baz, but I did get from him about a week earlier some common swirls that were dug. Those however came from Thuringen Germany, and were not in too bad of shape. They did however all require a polish as once again the calcium sets in and etches into the glass surface making it next to impossible to just soak it away. If it didn't etch into the glass it may over time be dissolved. The LCR works good but it will not get into the micro small etched cavity and it leaves a little calcium dot there and it looks like a salt and pepper surface, it actuall looks worse than cerium oxide does on a lot of polished marbles that had minute bubble pops and once the cerium gets in you can forget it. Ronnie PS I always thought Gerhart was just a seller, I did not know he excavated.

Sorry, I thought that these had come from this lot. ... Roger

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GB-Lot-old-German-bullet-mold-marbles-/321123346809

Roger, your right my mistake. I bought 2 batches, one from Gerhardt and 1 from old Festus. And I had those 2 confused. Funny thing, they live in different towns, but when I paid for my winning bids they have the same pay pal account??? Go figure. I have bought a few from Gerhart (or Gerhardt) in the past and have always been happy with what he sends me. These marbles did require a lot of TLC to make em look good, Oh well thats what I do. Ronnie

I would not put much validity to those dates of manufacture. Hope they do not hit ebay with out full disclosure of being polished.

There you go starting shit again, your such a little person, you need to grow up and be a man. You nit wit, can you read, you think I would post here and at aam and state they were polished and them put them on the bay and not say the same. Your despicable, just like your little queer buddy tom

I believe the person that shares his paypal acct. is his son.

These have always been known as Czech guineas. I hope more can be found on the where and when of these types. Little information is known.

When you were polishing these was there any affect to them on how they were fused? Come apart. Fuse line get wider?

post-299-0-92907000-1370905528_thumb.jpgpost-299-0-18539700-1370905549_thumb.jpg

I believe the person that shares his paypal acct. is his son.

These have always been known as Czech guineas. I hope more can be found on the where and when of these types. Little information is known.

When you were polishing these was there any affect to them on how they were fused? Come apart. Fuse line get wider?

No they cleaned up very nicely. A few may have gotten wider but none came apart. I'm just guessing but I think these had to be hot

molded marbles when they were manufactured. The problem with them was there was so much surface pitting from the earths

minerals that the crust on them would not come off. I did not want to polish on them but the calcium build up was as hard as cured

concrete and I had to at least start a polish step to bust the concrete like surface. Once I did that a pen knife, rubber gloves, elbow

grease and LCR enabled me to get the majority of the crust off and not completely destroy the marbles integrity. I will be listing these

on ebay real soon and yes in my description's it will flat out state that the marble was polished to remove a hardened calcified surface

crust and then buffed to restore somewhat of a shine. Thanks for the info on the Czechoslovakia history, I appreciate it. And OBTW

any info on their age would help me out. Ronnie PS sending a pic of a little marble almost PeeWee size (.510 to .520 thousands) that

was in with the group. Half of the marble is a horizontal clear based Sparkler type and the other half of the marble is just like a Peltier

Banana. Very strange little Marble. Ronnie

I personally do not believe them to be 100 years old. They were still making cane cut marbles and sulphides in the early 30s and I believe these came after the cane cuts. Gosh Ronnie, all I had to go by was the marble you got from Scott, polished, sold on ebay and did not disclose. Glad you are doing things different now.

I personally do not believe them to be 100 years old. They were still making cane cut marbles and sulphides in the early 30s and I believe these came after the cane cuts. Gosh Ronnie, all I had to go by was the marble you got from Scott, polished, sold on ebay and did not disclose. Glad you are doing things different now.

Gee it's nice to know that there is a marble cop out there in his little white cape and mask looking out for all the unsuspecting souls

about to get devoured by the likes of me. That's funny, I got a good laugh on that one.

If this thread goes south, I'll want to leave part of it up here, and move part of it to the BOISZ. Please don't make it hard for me to split it up. :)

Steph, no need to move the thread, I'm done. Galen accomplished what he set out to do and that was to hijack

my post. He's done that to me a few times and that's just the way it is. I'm not upset with Galen, matter of fact I

like Galen. What the marble collecting community needs is more people that would think and act like Galen does.

He is very honest and tells it the way he see's it, right or wrong. He needs to be a little more considerate at times

but other than that he's doing just fine. Ronnie

Thanks for the info Ronnie on the polishing. I suspected they wouldnt come apart. These type go thru a polishing process at time of manufacture. I have 2 peewees that didnt go thru this process. The colors are more dull, have some pops and the seam is way pronounced. There was a seller on ebay years ago that had a connection in the Czech republic that came upon a stash of these. Mostly loose, but some bags. He put the date as '40-'50s. I have seen the website that still sells them. Sorry, I dont have a link. Maybe Steph can find it.

As a side note. This type can get very large. I have a set of 10 that are over 1".

Thanks for the info Ronnie on the polishing. I suspected they wouldnt come apart. These type go thru a polishing process at time of manufacture. I have 2 peewees that didnt go thru this process. The colors are more dull, have some pops and the seam is way pronounced. There was a seller on ebay years ago that had a connection in the Czech republic that came upon a stash of these. Mostly loose, but some bags. He put the date as '40-'50s. I have seen the website that still sells them. Sorry, I dont have a link. Maybe Steph can find it.

As a side note. This type can get very large. I have a set of 10 that are over 1".

No problem here on this end. I went in and looked at my winning auction and it said the early 1900's. Maybe Galen, Bob Block, yourself and a couple of other reports I have had are right. Could be the 30's or 40's. What I do know is that cement crust on the marbles was very, very hard. Far as your 2 peewees go send me a pic of them and if they are fairly well round and not loaded with cement I'll spin em for you, won't cost you nothing but a couple of bucks shipping. Ronnie