Red Glass Guinea

A bullet mold needs to be injected - these are not injected - they are pressed by what is refererred to as the Prosser method.

So, do you mean that the marbles we've been calling Czech bullet-mold marbles (for a while) are actually Prosser-process marbles?

It's been my understanding (possibly deeply flawed, I admit) that the Prosser method was much more mechanized than the hand-pressing I saw on the (great) video you attached -- and, that at least as far as beads were concerned, very few Prosser ones were made in Germany; most of those appearing on German bead sample cards (from approx. the 1930s) were actually made in France or Bohemia (Czechoslovakia).

It's a revelation to me that at least some of these marbles, whether bullet-mold or Prosser, were actually made in Germany, Ronny, please let me know when some go up on ebay. I'd love to have a few.

post-2163-0-03394900-1371054284_thumb.jp

So, do you mean that the marbles we've been calling Czech bullet-mold marbles (for a while) are actually Prosser-process marbles?

It's been my understanding (possibly deeply flawed, I admit) that the Prosser method was much more mechanized than the hand-pressing I saw on the (great) video you attached -- and, that at least as far as beads were concerned, very few Prosser ones were made in Germany; most of those appearing on German bead sample cards (from approx. the 1930s) were actually made in France or Bohemia (Czechoslovakia).

It's a revelation to me that at least some of these marbles, whether bullet-mold or Prosser, were actually made in Germany, Ronny, please let me know when some go up on ebay. I'd love to have a few.

There on ebay now. seller name is wediscount Thanks, Ronnie

. . . I also know of these coming from digs in Germany

I wonder if they started making them (or at least started production of them) because the Czech ones were doing well . . .

Maybe i don't understand this thread well,but i believe Ronnie's marble and my marble are old and dug in Germany.

This thread was about Ronnie's marble,he asked if we knew that some of them had a Guinea look.

Those modern bullet mold marbles don't look at all like the old dug in Germany bullet mold marbles,the glass is different too.

Heres a pic- of the new ones.

DSC06662Medium_zps2f1e41b7.jpg

I believe they were first made in Germany and continue to be made there. Seeing as a large part of Czechoslovakia was considered Germany at different points in time I am sure they had similar production sites

Well, not considered Germany, really -- the larger (glass-producing) part of Czechoslovakia was Bohemia, considered a part of the Austrian (or Hapsburg, or Holy Roman) Empire, depending on the time frame. Germany was just another part of that Empire, for better or worse . . . I don't doubt that "bullet-mold" marbles were produced in Germany after seeing archaeological evidence for that, but I also am persuaded by the much more extensive bead evidence (and the trade in beads far exceeded the trade in marbles) showing that most were made in Bohemia. Probably a few in France and Germany. I can easily see machine-made marbles following that same track. Maybe in the same locations. Happened with the old handmades, too.

Winnie, I agree the new ones don't look like the old ones, regardless of where they come from. There are some new-ish beauties made of satin glass (some larger ones too) that Alan B. thought were Czech and probably from the 1950s-1960s ( got a few from him), but there are also some pretty finely-made opaque guineas probably from the 1930s as well. I only have a couple of those. No pics. I thnk Roger has some, and maybe Dave, too, if they have pics. Not too much marble-making in the 1940s in central Europe for obvious reasons. Makes sense it would pick up again in the 1950s.

post-2163-0-44667600-1371073977_thumb.jp

I am thinking if those modern ones were left rough and not ground and polished satin they would look a lot like some of the older ones. I have some tear drop beads that are near identical to some of my bullet mold types

I don't know Galen,This bul- mold types,i got out of Austria.

regrwhLarge_zps36664192.jpg

tralaLarge_zps7b73bac1.jpg

Nice Marble Winnie, do you have others. The ones I got off ebay were pretty rough. I don't really know much about them but I know mine were in the ground a long time as the majority of them were laden with crazing lines. I could see someone putting the calcium to e'm but not the crazing lines. Ronnie

I am thinking if those modern ones were left rough and not ground and polished satin they would look a lot like some of the older ones. I have some tear drop beads that are near identical to some of my bullet mold types

I believe the satin finish was achieved through acid etching, at least as far as the older (1960s) variety of beads were concerned, as opposed to the newer ones like Winnie showed. Don't know how the newer ones are finished.

I know the tear-drop beads you mean. They're still making those in Czechoslovakia too. The older ones are probably from the 1930s, but I don't think they showed up in the Africa trade much before the 1950s, but I'll check. What Winnie said about the glass, too, with those. The glass in the older ones just looks older, especially evident in the clear ones -- kinda Kayro-syrupy, if you know what I mean. For a while I thought of putting together an 18" necklace for myself of the old clear teardrops with black stripes, but decided I'd be 230 years old before I had enough of them to assemble it, and gave it up after about 2 minutes careful thought . . .

ice Marble Winnie, do you have others. The ones I got off ebay were pretty rough. I don't really know much about them but I know mine were in the ground a long time as the majority of them were laden with crazing lines. I could see someone putting the calcium to e'm but not the crazing lines. Ronnie

Got 4 of them years ago from Austria,then i never saw them again,they are well damaged.

Ann,the beaded necklaces are "kool"{what ever that means LOL} they are lovely,are they yours?

For Winnie:

No, not those -- the bullet-mold ones got away before I decided to bid on them, and even though I've been picking up stray Africa-trade beads here and there since the early 1970s (maybe that's too revealing . . . ) I'm not willing to pay what rabid bead collectors will pay for what they call "marble beads," even somewhat damaged ones. I only wanted a few as a curiosity and to puzzle over -- bead collectors distinguish between "made as marble beads" (much cherished) and "marbles drilled to be beads" (not as cherished). Mine are beat to heck, but serve their purpose. Still kinda kool:

post-2163-0-22356200-1371159039_thumb.jp

Could someone post a pic of those teardrop beads?

I tried, but the pics I have, snatched off the internet, are too big, file-wise, and I don't know how to fix that. Maybe I could email them to someone who's more sizing savvy than me? Any volunteers?

Dang, what was that first rule they taught me?

Whatever you do, never, ever......... nuts, I just can't remember!

Okay, I'll do it! :D

Will almost certainly be using 'irfanview', which is one of the

most amazing programs available free on the web.

(I'm not associated with it in any way.)

http://www.irfanview.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Ann: I beleive that is necklace I bought in Atlanta at an antique show. Ron Shaw took a picture and posted. It is still around here somewhere... Don

Hi Don! If it's yours, it could not have a better home! 'cept mine, of course!