The Elements Of A Good Marble Show

I would like to see what everyone's thoughts are on what makes a good marble show. I know for some it may be the in-room trading. For others, it may be the show day itself. Maybe it is the camaraderie and socialization aspect. What does it for you? What would you like to see added to the itinerary of a marble show?

What is your favorite thing about a marble show?

What is your least favorite thing about a marble show?

Thanks!

Chad

What is your favorite thing about a marble show? In room trading, you get to sit down and take your time.

What is your least favorite thing about a marble show? The odd ball locations, I never stick around for the actual show, 2 nights of room trading and I'm out if there.

Not a really easy topic although parts of it seem to be. I agree that the in-room trading is an important part of the overall "show". It'd be interesting to see if some shows advertise the "in-room" part to the public or just advertise the show itself.

Actually, the least favorite part, to me, is the actual show. While there are a few table people that have not been a part of the in-room trading, usually it is just the same people that you have seen the last couple of days. From a buying standpoint, there is not a lot of new stuff to see. From a selling standpoint, there does not seem to be a lot of the general public coming to the actual shows. Maybe that is just out west but...?

One question, which appears to be important in my eyes, is how to make sure the people putting on the show get enough income to at least break even. Sure, they can charge for the tables to cover the room and other actual show costs but what about other expenses incurred - like a hospitality room(s) and any other activities? Should the table people shoulder all of the costs? The people that come to the in-room trading and don't get a table at the show, do not pay anything towards the overall cost (unless they donate). If those people get a room and come to sell at the in-room trading (and I am talking about the regulars, not a guy coming off the street with a jar full), they should pay something. They are benefitting from the show but pay nothing (unless they pay admission to the show itself - which is usually minimal).

I think it is nice to have an appraisal table for people bringing in marbles (gotta figure out to man it so everyone gets an even shot at buying); an actual game of marbles at the show; an exhibit at the show (some shows have one); silent auction at the show to raise funds for the people putting the show on (or for a specific purpose); someone showing how to make marbles; maybe a "lecture" for beginning collectors on various topics about collecting. Of course, that all takes volunteer time to do.

Just my thoughts...

Getting together with folks I do not get to see too often. Absolutely the best part of a show.

I always get a table to help support whatever club is putting on the show. I also have found some great deals at the show itself as some do not do in room trading.

selling some good marbles so that I may purchase better is always nice.

least favorite is not enough marbles that I collect

Love the shows for the social aspect.

I would like to see the shows,limit the number of days of in room trading to one or 2 nights.It might help curve the cost,and bring back the "spunk" and excitement.

I make doing the show manditory,for myself.It supports the club/group and its the least I can do to show my appreciation for the work it takes to put on a show.

Chad,

I love going shows for many reasons. first and common favorite is seeing friends of course. Finding good marbles comes second. I specially like Seattle and Vegas shows because Dani, Ernie and Lee have the hospitality rooms open for socializing. I always find top shelf marbles with those guys too. Seeing private collections, selling some marbles, Iowa's banquet, Canton's lively Thursday night room trading, late night partying with marbles all around and the show itself. I always have a table on shows. I enjoy that aspect also. Another important reason I like to go to shows is that it is a total disconnection from the real world. It is a short vacation that you rest your brain real good. The crowd of the shows also bring collectors that you would otherwise never meet because they are not on the internet and somewhat disconnected. New collectors are fun to interact as well as seasoned ones.

Sami

Not sure how I missed this post.lol

running shows is a major time consuming thing. but we all love it. we offset costs with a raffle and silent auction.

as for having only 2 nights for in room. good in theory, but most hotels gage the show room price for the club on the number of room nights they get in the hotel.

I think the Seattle and Vegas shows are a little different than many because so many people that come include the show in their vacation plans.

we do other things as well, like the dinner in Seattle Galen started, a pizza party, and sometime just spontaneous fun!

the show day~ this year in Seattle, the only marbles i personally bought was at the show. best deals!! and as Galen said, there's always a few that just don't do in room.

The hospitality rooms... a lot of the expenses for these come out of our own pockets. why? because we want all our guests and members to enjoy themselves, just like you would entertain someone in your home.

Our club the IAMC is a registered not for profit club too. In the beginning to get it started, we, and Lee sold a lot of really nice stuff just to get it started. We have never pocketed a dime from our shows. The memberships off set the fees for the newsletters.

Lots of work? you bet! worth it? YES! but not monetarily. we usually just break even.

and as usual had a ball at Seattle, and can't wait until Vegas!! See ya there!!!

personally I like the show more than the room trading as I can not always have the time to be at the shows days in advance

I consider it a responsibility to take a table to help support the show promoters offset costs I am dissapointed in the regulars who come only for room trading and do not understand that if we all only came for room trading that the shows could not continue

if you benefit from selling at room trading should you not feel a responsibility to help pay for show expenses the other thing that dissapoints me is when you have a collector or group of collectors congregating outside the entrance to the show trying to see what they might be able to buy before the owner goes into the show it can make a inexpierenced collector or new person feel like they have to run the gauntlet to get into the show I like the rule used at the tulsa show where they people manning the identification table are not allowed to purchase the marbles they have identified my requirements for a hotel are only that it is freindly to the marble show organizers a fifty dollar a night hotel versus a one fifty a night hotel means that i will have $100.00 a night more to spend on marbles as opposed to (what do i get for the extra $100.00 per night) hope to see you soon at another marble show

ps airport shuttles are great when applicable Santa12345

The thing I like best about marble shows - the people - great folks, friendly, willing to help each other and newbies.

The thing I like least about marble shows - the people

- Whiners because the room color isn't right, the moon is in retro grade

- The posers - they know it all and have it all

Sleep well every one!

"Also....I have not seen the use of the word "poser" since the 80's :)"

Guess we are both showing our age Gnome Punter. I was collecting marbles in the 80s and the posers from then are no longer in the hobby.

One more tip for hosting a marble show: RELAX AND HAVE FUN! You can't control the end results once the show gets started. Your planning will pay off.

The thing I like best about marble shows - the people - great folks, friendly, willing to help each other and newbies.

The thing I like least about marble shows - the people

- Whiners because the room color isn't right, the moon is in retro grade

- The posers - they know it all and have it all

Sleep well every one!

never seen those problems at any of our shows... wow. we are known as 'the fun show' since the beginning. and our members never seem to complain. maybe you need to come to our Seattle shows Scott! and have some fun!! lol we sure wold love to show ya a good time! or vegas this fall.