My Newest Alley Addition

Chromium makes green. I don't know about the aventurine part.

Referring to my memory lapse earlier, the guy that accidentally discovered gold aventurine was Vincenzo Miotti (1644-1729). The city of Venice granted him the exclusive right to make it in 1677, and it stayed in the family until the Miotti Company closed in 1791. Then all heck broke loose in Venice and elsewhere (including Bohemia), with people scrambling to make their own. Some were more successful than others, but Venice is apparently still the principal supplier.

I wouldn't mind having those slag glasses, either, jeeperman!

I don't have a clue if it's actually lutz, but it doesn't look like adventurine, to me?? Does adventurine typically appear on white, like this one?

As an avid bead collector for nearly forty years and now becoming a marble freak. I have to say that this is without a doubt it is adventurine, just noticed Ann's message above so I am agreeing with her.

All my best ..... Danny

Chromium makes green. I don't know about the aventurine part.

Referring to my memory lapse earlier, the guy that accidentally discovered gold aventurine was Vincenzo Miotti (1644-1729). The city of Venice granted him the exclusive right to make it in 1677, and it stayed in the family until the Miotti Company closed in 1791. Then all heck broke loose in Venice and elsewhere (including Bohemia), with people scrambling to make their own. Some were more successful than others, but Venice is apparently still the principal supplier.

I wouldn't mind having those slag glasses, either, jeeperman!

Ann,

Having spent quite awhile in China some years ago I saw them making very large carvings with this type of glass, I think the Chinese have perfected making the glass as it is now so cheap to buy. This type glass also used to be called goldstone in the lapidary world, when I first started lapidary 35 years ago the goldstone was very expensive and hard to come by.

All my best ....... Danny

Ann,

Having spent quite awhile in China some years ago I saw them making very large carvings with this type of glass, I think the Chinese have perfected making the glass as it is now so cheap to buy. This type glass also used to be called goldstone in the lapidary world, when I first started lapidary 35 years ago the goldstone was very expensive and hard to come by.

All my best ....... Danny

I THINK I have a goldstone marble. It looks like a glittery black 3/4 shooter.

The glitter is gold and I didn't know what to call it so I tossed it in a bag and called it the Disco ball :)