Golden Rebel Lore

I was reading in a recent golden rebel auction listing that some collectors speculate these marbles were made only once in a single run (however long that lasted) and that the small ones are always a deeper school bus yellow, whereas the larger ones are always lemon yellow.

Is there any factual basis for that speculation about why they are scarce? To me it doesn't make sense that they would limit production of such a pretty marble unless there were quality control or cost issues. Then again, maybe kids back in the day preferred other styles?

I assume similar speculation would apply to the Blue Galaxies?

I now own a 9/16" golden rebel but had never seen one in the wild prior to that. Aside from 5/8" and 1" (which I've seen online) did they also make all the other sizes?

They are pretty. I put some of my best marbles in a tray and let my 10-year-old pick out her favorite (for her marble inheritance) and she almost immediately picked my little golden rebel. Had I put a nice Superman in there, she might have chosen that instead.

Dont know if made in one day. The GR isnt that hard to find compared with the galaxy. They came in all sizes. Never heard of 1". I know of a 13/16" sold some time back. Finding them over 3/4" is tough. Finding them clean is tougher Look at the back row of the pic and the graduated sizes. It's missing an 11/16" size though.

post-175-0-94288100-1377028869_thumb.jpg

Dont know if made in one day. The GR isnt that hard to find compared with the galaxy. They came in all sizes. Never heard of 1". I know of a 13/16" sold some time back. Finding them over 3/4" is tough. Finding them clean is tougher Look at the back row of the pic and the graduated sizes. It's missing an 11/16" size though.

Hey Clyde,what is the one above the hole ? I have a few of these and I thought they were MK Dragon flies.

I would say those one day one time run statements are complete and total speculation at this point in time. . I wonder how long a run actually lasted. Being multiple stream marbles if you kept putting the same mix in each furnace area a "run" could potentially last for days or weeks.

Hrm

I found one bag with them in it

I have a 3/4 and a few more 5/8 somewhere..

These also had one I had separated as SIMILAR but darker on the glass over all. It had me confused as it LOOKED like an MK seam on 1 side and the rest of the marble was twisted up and swirl

Also included...the words smallest Bumble bee blend :PPPP Ol, maybe not the worlds,but it's DAMN SMALL !!

DSC04838.JPG?gl=US

DSC04839.JPG?gl=US

DSC04840.JPG?gl=US

DSC04841.JPG?gl=US

DSC04842.JPG?gl=US

Sorry for Derailing your thread bumblebee....hence the tiny Bumble Pic for your pleasure ;)

GP, those two with the blue ribbons and translucent base look like modern MK's to me.

Does look a little like a Pelt Blue Angel now that you mention it, but there are differences, including a lack of yellow on the MK.

The marble above the hole with the arrow is a blue angel. pic enclosed of mibcapper's angels. Can do a seperate thread on angels'

Back to thread as bumblebee is correct in that the 9/16" and smaller tend to have a darker yellow. Reason is unknown. Pelt yellow as well as baby blue comes in different shades. I have seen bumblebees go from a dark "schoolbus" yellow to bright lemon yellow.

post-175-0-71323200-1377037394_thumb.jpg