• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So let's say you're the kind of person who likes quiet and solitude.

Is there anywhere in the continental U.S. where you could sit on your porch for

half an hour and not see and hear airplane flight paths in the sky above you?

30 second exposure of airplane flying at night

_DSC1225_zps76jyzsab.jpg

Sunset at 4:24 today.

We'll be getting our earliest sunset this year at 4:12, starting on December 4 and lasting until December 16.

That feels soooooo early. Makes me feel like a foreigner up here in Wisconsin ... which I sometimes call Canada.

But I look up other places that I've lived and I guess it's not _that_ much earlier than I would have gotten used to growing up. Half an hour to an hour-and-a-half earlier.

4:12 is pretty early for me. But here in Germany we are close to this. But there is something I do not really understand: Midwinter (winter solstice) I assume to be 20th or 21st of December. So I expect to get days longer after x-mas. :dunno:

Yesterday we had a so cloudy day, that at around 15:30 darkness falls aceoss the country - the clouds have been so thick. I hope it is getting spring soon.

4:12 is pretty early for me. But here in Germany we are close to this. But there is something I do not really understand: Midwinter (winter solstice) I assume to be 20th or 21st of December. So I expect to get days longer after x-mas. :dunno:

Yes, confused me for a bit also.

Then I thought about the morning. Sunset getting later on the 16th doesn't mean a longer day, because sunrise also is later.

The day shortens by one more minute before the solstice. Then on the 27th it gains a minute back.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you interested in playing around with physics you might want to have a look at Physics in Advent:

http://www.physik-im-advent.de/

A german site but also available in an english version. You do not need to register to just get the questions and thinking it over yourself - at least this was last years status. It's fun to see how physics are around with us every day without getting noticed.

Good stuff!

Several of us here are very fond of this guy and his colleagues, who in recent years have brought

a new appreciation for physics to this country, even though it's a silly (but great) TV show.

Although it's particularly nice when he uses marbles to think about molecular or DNA

related problems, we forgive him when he uses pieces of corn and peas from his lunch. ( :

sheldon_zpsig3sdmpm.png

My arm might be better now.

Two-and-a-half months later.

I suspect I broke it in more than one spot. The elbow and a couple of inches lower.

I really shoulda gone to see the doctor. But nothing was protruding so I kept saying it was okay.

But it wasn't.

But I think it is now. I don't dare lift anything heavy with that arm alone but I have most of my range of motion back.

Not long ago a friend suggested an approach to dealing with flare-ups and the occasional

hard knock to my bad shoulder/upper arm area.

I don't know exactly what's wrong with me either, so this may or may not be useful, but it

seemed to work well, and it was an interesting concept I'd never heard of.

The basic idea is that you take the anti-inflammatory pain-reliever of your choice, but you

stick to a 'schedule' of continuing to take it for a few days. In this sense, it's similar to

what they tell you about continuing to take your antibiotics even though you feel fine.

The thinking here is that you want to make sure you're keeping any inflammation in

check, which helps the healing process, even if your immediate pain stopped fairly quickly.

And this allows you to comfortably 'push' the limits of your range-of-motion, in the

physical therapy sense, which will bring back your full range more quickly. ( :