Akro Slag?

winnie

It seems i'm inspired by all the red slags lately.

This one is 7/8,i've found it in HollandDo you think it's Akro and do you think handgathered?

I don't think it's German,although Germany has made red transparant slags but they have 2 seams,this one has a cut off.

red-tr-sl%20Large_zps0ly6qqjv-1.jpg

I don't know why i got no response,is it a silly question or too difficult to answer,if it is,i'll not bother the board anymore with questions.

I'm often very uncertain about the origin of the marbles that i find here,are they German--American--Asian or Japanese.

IMO living in America makes it much easier to IDed old marbles.

From 1920-1950 America hardly imported marbles,cause they made their own marbles,during that time Holland imported marbles from all over the world,can you figure it out?

It might be better for me and the board,if i no longer worried about it,and from now on only enjoy my marbles..

About the slag i posted (fond in Holland),i've always thought it was American made by Akro,then i read in the MFC thread that Akro made messed up 9 and i was wondering if my slag was a messed up 9 (IMO it is).

I have some other red transparant Akro slags from America and they don't have nines at all,they are really messed up,they look almost like swirls to me.

Winnie.....I'm learning to speak or ask what I feel knowing at best, only a few may respond.....its good enough for me and not my problem....I have harmed no one enough to be ignored.

As far as the nice slag you show, I'm up in the air on most all of the slags and their origin...except pelts. I want to see what others say and why.

Nice marble, it can be frustrating sometimes to take pictures and post , only to get no responses. Not because it's being ignored but more likely because people are scratching their heads and wondering what the marble could be as well. From the pictures I'd agree it doesn't look like it was made outside of North America so it was likely imported to where it is now. 7/8" is a large size for a red slag, so it's a nice one.

The swirl emanating from the seam in the first view isn't what I think of as a "nine" since it appears to be coming from a cutline and not from inside the marble.

So for the time being I am leaning away from handgathered.

Sorry for not replying earlier. I usually stand back and wait for Galen when I see a slag question. :)

Thanks Steph,that was exactly what i want to know.

I was in doubt wether it was hand gathered or made fully automatic,because of the cut off line and not seeing a tail.

And i have to say i'm not familiar with this kind of slags.

The swirl emanating from the seam in the first view isn't what I think of as a "nine" since it appears to be coming from a cutline and not from inside the marble.

So for the time being I am leaning away from handgathered.

What Steph said. And probably Akro. Nice one!

Very nice Wilie!!

Ann,thats why i was a bit lost,being a slag with a messed uo "nine"but clearly IMO not handgathered,I found contradictory.

Think i make it too hard for myself,from now on I will enjoy marbles and not think too much about,made by whom and where and whats it.

Ann,thats why i was a bit lost,being a slag with a messed uo "nine"but clearly IMO not handgathered,I found contradictory.

Think i make it too hard for myself,from now on I will enjoy marbles and not think too much about,made by whom and where and whats it.

Always a good approach! I tend to think a lot (maybe too much) about all that too, but even that is enjoyable as long as I remind myself occasionally that some things can't always be neatly sorted, the way I would like!

About slags that could be hand-gathered but not have "nines" -- I read somewhere (don't remember where now) that at some point Akro may have decided to set its hand-gathered slags apart from the others by having their gatherers eliminate the nine pattern and try for more of an all-over swirly pattern. I have no idea if that happened or not, but it stuck in my head, and I've gotten a few fine big (for me) swirly slags -- bigger and with more complicated patterning than the usual machine-made ones -- that seemed to fit that idea. Not saying it's true. Just that "big complicated swirly hand-gathered" has become a category for me over the years.

But that may have nothing to do with reality.

CAC had many hand gathered slags and other types, American Agates being one) with no 9s. I also believe there are many Pelt Hand Gathered slags with no 9s. Seeing how Feidler was at both places and the hand gathering expert one can assume that is a good reason. Ann, do all(any) of your Cerise agates show a 9. Oh yea, he was also at Akro.

Ann and Galen,thats not what I mean.

Me too have several slags and transitionals without a "nine"that are clearly handgathered..

What I mean to say is: that at first glance this marble seems hand-gathered,but in my view it is not.

After all,if it would be hand-gathered,the cut off should be on the opposite place of the "nine",isn"t it??

The cut off of this marble is IMO right under the messed up "nine",thats why I was a bit lost.

For clarity,at first glance looks to be a Hand-gathered slag but is machien made.

Of course I can be wrong (because I"m not familiar with American slags).

Here's a pic- of which I think is the cut off.

Sometimes I wich I could explain myself better LOL.

akro%20Small_zpsxyahrvrs_1.jpg

akro%20Small_zpsdqfacnkn.jpg