Fake Antique Marbles

Oh I do hope Ebay will let that stay up.

Maybe you need to make it clear that if someone does pay the $10,000 they will receive some of the marbles pictured. Just so someone can't report you for it not being a "real" listing.

Oh I do hope Ebay will let that stay up.

Maybe you need to make it clear that if someone does pay the $10,000 they will receive some of the marbles pictured. Just so someone can't report you for it not being a "real" listing.

Well, I (luckily) don't have these marbles and so I wouldn't be able to send these marbles. But I really hope that nobody is so nuts to bid for these marbles. Let's hope that ebay does care as less as for the fake-marble auctions.

Ron

Hopefully people see it on ebay before they bid on the faked antiques. By chance I gave your page a visit some months ago and now I learn you are also active here. Why not adding a link to the marbleconnection on your site?

Hopefully people see it on ebay before they bid on the faked antiques. By chance I gave your page a visit some months ago and now I learn you are also active here. Why not adding a link to the marbleconnection on your site?

Hi Hoody

Hey, you are from Germany ? Great, there aren't many collectors around from Europe.

About my homepage. I would like to put on some more information in English first because I will promote it here and other places.

Ron

Well, for the beginning I got a treat-message from the German seller who sold these faked sulphides lately..... But the auction is still running and has already been visit by 137 people, so the information spreads. I wish some people would share my postings on facebook...

Ron

Hi Hoody

Hey, you are from Germany ? Great, there aren't many collectors around from Europe.

About my homepage. I would like to put on some more information in English first because I will promote it here and other places.

Ron

Yes, I am from Germany. But I am not so much interested in collecting old marbles rather let todays mass production run down some tracks. Just give a glance to "Marble Runs & Marble Games".

Great idea to put in an english version to your site. There is plenty of information that our international friends hardly can retrieve currently.

Hoody

I think some of the new Bulgarian marbles are starting to look pretty cool. Do they actually sell for more money because of the bogus back story? Wouldn't they sell even better attributed correctly?

Yes, could be. And nobody would complain if they were listed as "contemporary" and not as "antique". But their fakes get better and better and possibly there comes a time when you can't tell the difference between an old marble and their marbles anymore just from a picture. Have a look at this marble. It is one of my nicest marbles, a beautiful single pontil end-of-day marble for which I paid more than $ 1'000.00 a few years ago. I am pretty sure that a lot of people would assume it is a fake marble from Bulgaria when I would try to sell it on ebay. And eventually this will affect the value of most old marbles and will keep away potential new collectors from this hobby. And this would affect prices even more.

My two cents.

Ron

post-2885-0-46420000-1445280434_thumb.jp

I have some pics of some of the types they are trying to fake. I was going to put them up but then thought that i would just be helping them see what they are doing wrong. Should i post them?

Great auction by the way.

Marbles are deceiving and look too good to be true. Pontils however are dead giveaway as they look terrible. But one needs to have an idea what they might be looking at. Otherwise buyer would think they found something good. Happened to me at a show. Love my magnifier....My best friend. Can imagine online auction, newbee and people will be taken for their hard earned cash.

Sami

Do any of those marbles have the wear on them one would expect to see if they are ove 100 years old? Can we see the pontils?

Yes, they have light wear and pontils and if I have time I will make some pictures later. But perhaps this pic will be proof enough ? At least for that marble ?

Ron

post-2885-0-05729200-1445321158_thumb.jp

They are great marbles, did the marbles come from the same source, maybe the same maker, the pontils look very similar, also the way the glass was worked looks similar in all the marbles?, that's not to say they are old or not, just to say in a group of such marbles, would there not be quite a variation in Pontil marks?

Ps also you can pick out at least one colour from each marble which is shared with another in the group?

They are great marbles, did the marbles come from the same source, maybe the same maker, the pontils look very similar, also the way the glass was worked looks similar in all the marbles?, that's not to say they are old or not, just to say in a group of such marbles, would there not be quite a variation in Pontil marks?

Ps also you can pick out at least one colour from each marble which is shared with another in the group?

They came from totally different sources:

- The large blue one was sold by Marblealan about 6 years ago

- The red (with white loop) I purchased about 5 years ago from an antique dealer here in Switzerland together with a bunch of other handmade swirls (he doesn't know much about marbles and found them all together in a thrift store)

- The blue/red and the red/white/yellow one I bought and a flea market together with many swirls about 5 years ago

- And the colorful one I bought on Ebay Germany about 4 years ago together with about 20 other antique marbles

About the colors: Difficult to say, to me they all look about the same, but I am not very good in seeing such small color-differences.

I know two collectors from the Netherlands (I think they are both in this forum too) who have more or less similar marbles.

Hi again, great info, the 2 you bought together, really do sit together, I sold an Onionskin, not a blotty EOD like the one you have, but the colours were a good match, I've seen a large Blue EOD similar to the one you have which was sold as a group of 5-6 a few years ago for a lot of money, like you say, if you listed those on ebay, I don't think I'd bid with confidence on buying as antique marbles?

They just don't seem quite right to me, sorry, tin hat on at the ready!