What Would You Call It?

orbboy

Listing tonight but want a proper name. I was thinking simply Rare Coloured Early Onionskin. Are there any other applications that should be added? E.O.D?? Cloud?? Would using the term "OXBLOOD" to describe the red be ok. I would add the " " of course. Any input would be great.

post-218-0-13120800-1445368967_thumb.jpg

I (think I) see the Onionskin-like core - although I would love to see a photo taken in a glass of water. The red appears to be oxblood.

I think its going to be tough (and inexact) to describe it as any given named type. It appears to be a "one-off".

I'm going to throw this out there...couldn't this be one of those, kinda wobbly, contemporary fakes rolling around? I would like to see the flow of colored ribbons less jittery, even for a one off. This, but I should point out, I have many Germans, but don't go after them and am not really focusing on them at this time. Just a guess.

If you focus on vintage German marbles, there are some pretty legit traits I see on this one and wouldn't hesitate.

To answer the original question, I think it falls into the general onionskin category more than anything else.

Calling a cane-cut marble a 'one-off' is a bit of a misnomer but I get the gist of Alan's comment (and value his opinion).

I should follow-up my earlier comment:

I see nothing on the pictured piece that caused me to question it's authenticity.

My comment of "one-off" was not meant to exclude its cane-cut nature - but to recommend that we all consider not trying to classify something into the nearest category for the sake of classifying it. Some designs/construction are tough to classify because they are essentially unique.

Its nice to see something that is outside the box.

Its a cool piece - one that I wouldn't mind owning.

Ummmmmmmmm? Ok I'll bite. What would you call it then Galen? I have had more than a few Onions that were constructed this way. Might even have one now I will have to check. Besides it's too late it's listed with bids already so no changing things now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331687020778?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649