Board Update

LouisCamp

Everybody hates new. :) I spent too many years as a software engineer to really complain about updates. Bugs are fixed. Features are added. I'll get used to the differences. And I spent a couple years running a marble forum and I know the effort involved, so thanks to Louis and Steph for all their hard work.

5 minutes ago, ann said:

And does the writing have to be this tiny?

Try pressing the control and plus keys together once or more, Ann.

It'll take a while to get comfortable but it seems cleaner and I think I'll like it just fine - seems like there might be some improved functionality and ease of use too. But then, I try to embrace change, since it's the only thing you can really count on.

And while I'm here, it's a good time to be sure that Lou and Steph know . . . I really do appreciate the forum and all you do to keep it running smoothly!

Major improvement in the attachments.  They post big now.    So that will be good for visibility.  

Is bandwidth or storage an issue?   I checked with my test account and I see that there is still a limit of around 420 kilobytes for ordinary member accounts.  If they're not issues, then could we raise the cap?  With today's cameras people come in with some pretty big images.  

I think that should be something to consider. I host my own photos, but I like to post bigger shots and my directory of marble photos since the end of November is around 13Meg. These aren't posted on a single marble site, but I can see folks hitting the limit pretty fast.

Oh well. First I noticed the difference when reading the eMail notifications and thought something changed on my mail-client...

So time to log in after a few days of abstinence - and wow, new look & feel. As with every change I need to get familiar with.

One property is annoying: Clicking the eMail link "Go to this post" I directly get where I think I want to be. Then I sign in and am warped back to the very beginning of the thread. I am pretty sure I took the same procedure as every time but maybe I missed a new feature? If not, could you please be so kind and reconfigure the sign-in process to leave me where I currently am?

And I really like some of the new emoticons - thanks to the maintennance team:

:computer-22: - console I/O error 4711: incompetent user detected! Abort, Retry, Ignore?   >_

:evil-grin-smileys-111: - call ... me ... now! (always resembles me to a certain german comedy)

:confused-smileys-327: - Hoody's state of mind

Hey team, the most important icon is missing: *thup*

I had a similar 'coincidental' experience to what Edna went through.

But finding out that this new situation wasn't a problem on my end wasn't much relief.

Still, it's only reasonable for me to admit that I noticed a real improvement today!

It looks like the new board format no longer decides to randomly change the

capitalization of words in the title of a post you might make.  This is really good.

But as long as I'm here, I'm going to add to my list of complaints by saying that

I'm getting tired of hitting the large emphasized 'Sign Up' button at the top right,

when all I'm trying to do is 'sign-in'.  Signing in is a daily occurrence.  Signing up

is a one time thing.  Why in the world would someone suddenly decide to 'reverse'

the big bold button on the right with the much more subtle text to the left?

This is just 'silly', and I'm being incredibly 'polite' to describe it that way.  ( : 

I just noticed one good thing in your animal names thread.  Now when we click on a link in a post, it automatically opens in a new window.   So I don't have to figure out how to navigate back to the site if I forget to right-click and open in new window.

Hadn't thought about that situation recently, but that sounds like another good thing.

It's definitely easier and more reliable to close a separate window and/or tab than trying

to shift into reverse and have the website or your browser get confused and goof up.  :)