StéphaneFrance

Assorted marbles from Europe

All beautiful, Stephane, thanks for sharing! (Sorry, I don’t have l’accent grave on my keyboard.) I’ll have to dig out my Veiligglas sparklers and wirepulls too!

Thank you. I like the Veiligglas. The sparklers are wonderful - but not Veiligglas as I understand it - I'd love to know where those and the patches were made.

I’d forgotten that about the sparklers MOK. I found a post from a Stefan in 2014 that showed an original bag of them that said they were made by”VEB Werk für technisches Glas Ilmenau.” (There’s a Wikipedia site for the company - anyone sprechen sie Deutsch?) It seems odd that a technical glass company (beakers, test tubes, and the like) would produce marbles, too, but you never know - they would have plenty of clear base glass handy. Is there any other data on their origin? 

05912204-5354-4CD4-80B1-EA28215E26C0.thumb.jpeg.c4a065fda835fc879175c75e9cda3bdb.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Royal3 said:

I’d forgotten that about the sparklers MOK. I found a post from a Stefan in 2014 that showed an original bag of them that said they were made by”VEB Werk für technisches Glas Ilmenau.” (There’s a Wikipedia site for the company - anyone sprechen sie Deutsch?) It seems odd that a technical glass company (beakers, test tubes, and the like) would produce marbles, too, but you never know - they would have plenty of clear base glass handy. Is there any other data on their origin? 

Most of their production was around 20mm and mainly Cat's (but yes they did produce some sparklers (I've got a bag of Cat's from the glassworks)). Most Sparklers appear to have been of French origin (there's a French Marble thread buried in General chat showing a box of sparklers clearly labelled Made in France), but I can't uncover anything about French factories.