Charms, Pins, Medals and other Marble Tournament Awards and Memorabilia..

hdesousa

Here is a catalogue of tournament awards from Boston Badge - Bent and Bush Co.  Not sure of the year.

In the section of "Miniature Athletic Charms", a marble player is pictured on the award in the middle of page 15.

The catalogue number of this charm (26492) is also used for at least two other designs of marble playing charms (picture attached).

In that picture, the center piece, which has an identical design to the marbles charm in the catalogue, is not a charm at all.  It's a pin back.

These guys are tiny.  The largest is about 3/4" X 5/8" (19 mm X 16 mm)

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

3 hours ago, hdesousa said:

2022 marks the100th anniversary of the first National Marbles Tournament.  That's only 3 years away!

Lets start talking.

Would anyone have any information on this bag?  It's about 5" X 3" (12 cm X 7 cm)

Neat stuff! I managed to find this from the 02 April 1926 Press and Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton, NY) . You can get full-sized page here for now.

Clipboard01.jpg

38 minutes ago, spara50 said:

An original train ticket to have lunch at Valley Forge. 1925 Marble Tournament. (front and back

Very interesting.   A special train! 64 cities competing, each with city, school and playground champions?  I guess a good shooter could be champ of city, school and/or playground the same year?

"United States Marble Shooting Championship Tournament" medals of this type from the 1920's do not usually provide much information on the reverse side.

This particular medal, awarded by The Boston Traveler to Kenneth Rees has the date (1928) and venue of the tournament (Ripley Playground) inscribed on the back.

Jason, can you find out any details of this event?

Ripley Playground B.JPG

Ripley Playground.JPG

54 minutes ago, spara50 said:

Though I usually don't agree with Johns rambling and farfetched theories, I have to agree with him this time. LOL...

Craig, thanks for the support. (Insert censored Emoji here.)

To win a game you only need 7 of the thirteen.  If you ran the first seven straight, would they let you go to see if you could get them all?

Channeling, Scott McBride...

John

4 hours ago, bumblebee said:

You guys guessed right. Hit 13 out with 1 marble without a miss and you're in the club. Here''s the The Pittsburgh Press, Wed May 15,1929 talking about it: https://imgur.com/a/7KWKKk4

That’s a fine feat, and a fantastic find. Thanks to all of you folks for this thread. 

Lady Grant? Is it a wrist watch?  I relatively recently had an intro to the history of wrist watches and learned that for a long time they were mostly for women.  But since this was after WWI, I think they were a male thing also by then. 

23 minutes ago, Steph said:

Lady Grant? Is it a wrist watch?  I relatively recently had an intro to the history of wrist watches and learned that for a long time they were mostly for women.  But since this was after WWI, I think they were a male thing also by then. 

Interesting that wrist watches were mainly worn by women before WW1.

Wonder if women used pocket watches as well.  Pocket watches seem to have been a popular tournament award for boys:

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

• 2 weeks later...