The ox blood looks almost black in hand, a big difference between those and the chocolate ox I have, here's a blue ace w/ choc ox. A definite difference, both mib pics where taken under the same light, what do you consider anemic Al ?? I was always led to believe the dark burnt looking ox blood was the anemic type ?? 

3.PNG

Edited by Chad G.
correction !!

Here's a lemonade w/ the reg. colored oxblood. Same light. pics all taken @ the same time, same bulb, the colors are quite accurate. There's three distinct colors here, I've seen variances here and there but consider each of these ox colors to be spot on. Please if you have something to add I'm all ears ( and eye's ), anxious to learn anything new Al, or something I've been taught  that was wrong and need's to be straightened out.

Chad G.

6.PNG

Just an old term for the lighter chocolaty color, sorry if it look's red, it's not I'm looking for a sunlight pic of the same mib right now, don't know why it did that , same bulb same neutral matting everything, those pics where probably taken a couple minutes apart. Ah !! here it is a side by side w/ the chocolate and the anemic taken in the sunlight. Chocolate is an old term I guess, I've called it that for 20 yrs. Here's the pics. You can see the lighter shade of ox in the first pic of the big blue ace beside the anemic, second is the yellow egg yolk looking anemic next to a lemonade swirl, third pic is of two silver ox w/ what I consider to be normal oxblood color ( very similar to a brick ) The blue ace in the first pic has an extremely light brown color of ox, hence the name chocolate. Names change, known manufacturer's change, I'm here to learn, not like the guy I met @ the marble show who told me he had every color of Akro prize name corks made. I looked @ him and then his 8-10 cases of prize names and said "why yes you do" in my head I know that's impossible unless you had every one ever made, the shades of color varied between almost every marble. I guess it's just my opinion, old habit's are hard to break, but definitely a big difference in the colors of the three types of ox I have presented. Marbles are after all a matter of perspective and everyone has a different one. I am however here to learn and have some fun while I do it.

Regards,

Chad G.

akro21.PNG

akro19.PNG

akro16.PNG

37 minutes ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Can I ask what is chocolate Oxblood?  The Oxblood looks a lot more red/orange in your second pics.  Good pics, just a term I not familiar with.

Just an old term used for a lighter brown colored oxblood. 

Chad, great looking examples shown. I would love to see what Ron S. has to add to this discussion.  He can enlighten us some more.  Akro "Chocolate Oxblood", a chocolate/brownish base with a oxblood patch, an Akro patch that is not that easy to find.  Most i (think) were in the 3/4 range.  Chuck G---

The blue ace is over .75" @ 97/128ths,  the smaller anemic ace next to it is 11/16ths dead on w/ digitals. Thanks for chiming in Chuck, I also would like to hear what Ron has to say, so many opinions, maybe @ the end of this thread we can all learn a little and come to a unanimous decision. I knew when I started this one thing would lead to another !! Isn't that the point ?? These forums where after all designed for us all to learn, share information and  "have a little fun while were at it"

An Akro oxblood patch on a dark muddy kinda olive looking base. Under normal lighting and backlit, only one I've ever seen W/ this particular dark muddy olive base and the oxblood patch. Already positively I.D. as Akro. Normally a clear base w/ another color accompanying it or riding along side it. 5/8ths dead on w/ digitals. Sorry for the debris I didn't have my glasses on. Good shape for a dug example, no fleas or pitting, nothing I can find, I got lucky. Thanks.

Chad G.

50.PNG

49.PNG

52.PNG

47.PNG

48.PNG

51.PNG

33 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

An Akro oxblood patch on a dark muddy base. Under normal lighting and backlit, only one I've ever seen W/ this particular dark muddy base and the oxblood patch. Already positively I.D. as Akro. Normally a clear base w/ another color accompanying it or riding along side it. 5/8ths dead on w/ digitals. Sorry for the debris I didn't have my glasses on. Thanks

Chad G.

1 (558).JPG

1 (559).JPG

1 (560).JPG

1 (561).JPG

1 (562).JPG

1 (563).JPG

All of those that I know of were dug on the Akro site from the French Drain.  I would describe the base as an odd olive.  There were other weird oxbloods that came out of the same drain, 90+ percent of them dug by one person - "W".

On 10/17/2020 at 3:28 PM, Chuck G said:

Chad, great looking examples shown. I would love to see what Ron S. has to add to this discussion.  He can enlighten us some more.  Akro "Chocolate Oxblood", a chocolate/brownish base with a oxblood patch, an Akro patch that is not that easy to find.  Most i (think) were in the 3/4 range.  Chuck G---

3/4" patch ...

akro chocolates.JPG

chocolate ox 003.jpg

akro-choc.- sparks 002.jpg

akro blu oxblood. 3-4 in. exceptional coverage.jpg

3 hours ago, Alan said:

All of those that I know of were dug on the Akro site from the French Drain.  I would describe the base as an odd olive.  There were other weird oxbloods that came out of the same drain, 90+ percent of them dug by one person - "W".

Thanks Alan, that thread is where I got the Akro answer from you and 2 others, dug probably, I was just presenting a rare example.

Nice patch Bill, a first for me, The blue I have has a much much lighter color oxblood, it's not a normal brick looking color like yours ?? By the way the blue :thup: also an excellent mib.....They both need a life long examination @ my house free of charge of course. 

I have heard anemic oxblood. Oxblood color is suppose to look like the blood of a Ox. If you look up Anemia ,anemic or anemically = a condition in which the blood is deficient in red blood cells. So the best oxblood color may be lacking some red in anemic oxblood. Most times what is considered anemic oxblood is burnt oxblood the temperature to high for the thinner oxblood color. The higher or longer the temperature is to high the darker the oxblood will go until it is dark red, brown and then black then it disappears. 

From what I have heard the most, Akro Chocolate Oxblood  people were referencing a Akro Chocolate colored base and oxblood patch.  The exact chocolate color base is always a varied discussion. Just like chocolate candy from light to milk to dark chocolate.  Like the candy more people like the milk or medium chocolate color, for the Akro Chocolate Oxblood. They are rare and like Chuck said more of the medium chocolate oxblood patches were 3/4 size and opaque. There are smaller sizes and and some transparent or translucent, but most of these have the much lighter or much darker chocolate base. Any  of the Akro Chocolate Oxblood patches are desirable. But the highest value or most desired is the 3/4 inch medium chocolate oxblood patch. 

I have never heard of Chocolate in reference to a certain color of oxblood.  With Akro the chocolate refers to the base glass color. 

Thanks Ron, that would be the one Bill has and Chuck referred to !! correct ?? The "French drain" mib is just a rare oddball I like to hang onto. Thanks again for the info. I always associated anemic as relating to human blood the more anemic you are the darker your blood as in the first 2 mibs I have pictured. A very dark color for oxblood. I can't type fast enough for you all, tryin but my big fat fingers won't move quick enough, Ron chimed in while I was texting this. Oh well, it's all good !!

Chad G.

16 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Would you consider the first two Akros I posted as anemic Ron or Alan, Bill, anyone ?? just asking for a personal opinion of the two  now that the chocolate issue is straightened out  ??

I wouldn't personally refer to them as "anemic".

Way darker than normal ox, the blue is really dark, maybe burnt from getting to hot. As far as I know both examples are by definition "anemic " Thanks" for gettin back to me so soon Alan, I appreciate it. Pls. if any one has a mib they consider having " anemic oxblood" I would love to see some pics of your perspective.

Chad G.

Now I also learned the true meaning of chocolate oxblood, a two fer. By the way, I've never been messaged by so many people @ once had me :Panic: And since I fat finger every word I text it became a real chore just to keep up w/ one person. Not complaining, to the contrary I asked for it and am grateful for all the feedback ( Thanks all ) "Great stuff" Maybe tomorrow I'll open another :worms: