The "Score!" thread. Post your exciting finds here...

A freind and antique dealer I know well .passed away this weekend. I visited him pretty much every weekend he always brought me some new Mibs.

This weekend there were several peltier shooters waiting for me.

I'll always treasure these and God bless his soul. Rip Buddy!

20240630_072622.jpg

20240630_072633.jpg

20240630_072652.jpg

20240630_072642.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/18/2024 at 6:02 PM, schmoozer said:

Perfect lead-inIMG_1464.thumb.jpeg.ee485fc15142ae9e4a3a21f7249fb0d8.jpeg to my find last week in Tombstone.

Sweet toy jug sample. Nothing like indoctrinating kids to drink spirits like pappy.  I remember getting candy cigarettes at 7-Eleven!! Same thing, but a different decade.

We spend our youth trying to grow up. And spend our adulthood trying to reclaim childhood.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, davesnothere said:

A freind and antique dealer I know well .passed away this weekend. I visited him pretty much every weekend he always brought me some new Mibs.

This weekend there were several peltier shooters waiting for me.

I'll always treasure these and God bless his soul. Rip Buddy!

20240630_072622.jpg

20240630_072633.jpg

20240630_072652.jpg

20240630_072642.jpg

Keepers for sure. May you always fondly remember your friend.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 6:43 PM, Shamrock Marbles said:

Sweet toy jug sample. Nothing like indoctrinating kids to drink spirits like pappy.  I remember getting candy cigarettes at 7-Eleven!! Same thing, but a different decade.

We spend our youth trying to grow up. And spend our adulthood trying to reclaim childhood.

A little confused here. Can you provide some backup on your opinion?

• Like 1

It may be taken out of context @schmoozer. It may have been misconstrued.

I for one, and lets say all of us here; would never suggest that any kid would smoke or drink let alone any adults but I did buy “Popeye Cigarette” candies as a kid with no repercussions from my Parents. 
My folks also saw no harm in giving a kid a drink of beer---not good—but I was a kid and loved it—toooooo--much. 
That was back in the 1950’s—thing are more correct now—but still out of wack a tad.
I wonder who invented “Candies Cigarettes”? 
Was it the tobacco companies—well maybe—old school social media?
They hooked me for quite awhile; I was about 14 at the start and quit about 40.
I do not think that anyone here condones drinking or smoking with children, teens or adults’.
Let’s just marble—On!!—and forget that post.

20 hours ago, schmoozer said:

A little confused here. Can you provide some backup on your opinion?

7 hours ago, akroorka said:

It may be taken out of context @schmoozer. It may have been misconstrued.

I for one, and lets say all of us here; would never suggest that any kid would smoke or drink let alone any adults but I did buy “Popeye Cigarette” candies as a kid with no repercussions from my Parents. 
My folks also saw no harm in giving a kid a drink of beer---not good—but I was a kid and loved it—toooooo--much. 
That was back in the 1950’s—thing are more correct now—but still out of wack a tad.
I wonder who invented “Candies Cigarettes”? 
Was it the tobacco companies—well maybe—old school social media?
They hooked me for quite awhile; I was about 14 at the start and quit about 40.
I do not think that anyone here condones drinking or smoking with children, teens or adults’.
Let’s just marble—On!!—and forget that post.

Why would a manufacturer make a toy jug (typically used to hold ales and spirits) and toy clay pipes? Because they sell.

Akro made glass tea sets, so children can mimic the adults and hone their social skills like hospitality and politeness.

Manufacturers placed ads in comics for x-ray glasses. Was this so you can see if your dog has a broken leg? No, it was to exploit the “curiosity” of adolescents.

IMG_1314.jpeg.5d5f985385020a5f53005ab660c2cd0a.jpeg

Children want to “act” grown up. They will mimic the adults in their lives. Manufacturers will exploit those desires for dollars. It’s an age old game. YMMV.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, schmoozer said:

with inserts

$20 for two Superman--plus--killer find--!

Now figure out if there are any B/W corkscrews--or W/B corkcrews--alway a chore for sure---but fun none-the-less.

Nice shoes too:wub:.

Marble--On!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, akroorka said:

Now figure out if there are any B/W corkscrews--or W/B corkcrews--alway a chore for sure---but fun none-the-less.

Marble--On!!

1 and 1/2 supermen…plus a good John Deere. Most were pelts, a dozen slags (6good), a few AKROs (2 maybe white on black?), an alley yellow flame, and a Vitro aquamarine.

IMG_1623.thumb.jpeg.8d88c132e8a75ce52a94825b8f3bc132.jpegIMG_1625.thumb.jpeg.5bc6dcd40a9411c5c9ef6e58245f618e.jpegIMG_1624.thumb.jpeg.f64c92acc2dd852f0c61a2fc10f27561.jpegIMG_1626.thumb.jpeg.7626ad243027ef183345697d2e0d43c9.jpegIMG_1629.thumb.jpeg.e6b5f2757bb76def23163f823000852b.jpegIMG_1634.thumb.jpeg.89416cbc674b46619cdd620497603ecd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

23 hours ago, akroorka said:

Marble--On!!

How does tell white in black versus the reverse?

12 minutes ago, schmoozer said:

How does tell white in black versus the reverse?

That is a good question, they are so similar that it barks and does not want to sit down.(sit boy--sit!!🐶lol)

I had a big problem with back filling a "Prizename" box of 100 quite a few years back. The b/w,w/b marbles were mostly there and I needed three or four.

You would think that a simple B/W Corkscrew would not be the hardest to find but it was--something just did not look right, you know what I mean? I purchased many of what I thought were what I needed and failed miserably. I always want to match not just the glass color but the uv reaction as well, all of the glass involved.

I do not believe to this day that I have researched or looked at any other marble as much as a B/W.W/B Akro Corkscrew--what a trip into Akro Agate marbles and the construction--I just love this stuff--really I do!

I am getting too old to remember which was the hard one to find but I think that it was white on black,(I may have a few images though it will not help)

The cutlines are the thing here--good luck--I was mesmerized by a simple corkscrew design, they are more complicated than anyone may think.

Marble--On!!

• Thanks 1