King's Rose china marble..

IeatSOUND

Found this hiding amongst a handful of clays, chinas and Benningtons that were in a couple mid-sized cigar boxes full of mibs I bought off an antique dealer friend of mine.

Anyways, I was looking up info on china marbles and apparently this pattern, called the King's Rose, is pretty rare..  especially in this smaller (~5/8ths inch) size.

There is surprisingly very little info out there, at least that I was able to find, on the web about this marble.

I found a few links to auction pages where iterations of this mib have been auctioned off... The pics looked pretty well identical, as far as mibs can be "identical" that is.

The closest match to mine was for another smaller sized one, about the same size as mine. The estimated going price said something like $200-300 or $300-500, I can't recall which it was right now. The site wanted me to become a member in order to see the actual final selling price unfortunately, so I'm stuck with a rather vague approximation of value. 

TL;DR is this: Anyone know anything about these china marbles..? Particularly this King's Rose one? Is there any way to tell for certain that it's authentic? I'm sure there have been unscrupulous people who have attempted to make counterfeits to try and sell off.. 

Any info is appreciated! Thanks for looking! 

IMG_20210531_021240.jpg

IMG_20210531_021254.jpg

IMG_20210531_021322.jpg

IMG_20210531_021308.jpg

IMG_20210531_021352.jpg

IMG_20210531_021338.jpg

IMG_20210531_021420.jpg

IMG_20210531_021406.jpg

• Like 1

But if the slip (or glaze) is fired, it would probably have the same "eye" result, similar to a Bennington?    I don't know much about these types either, never seen on in hand before and my last kiln experience was 4th grade art class, just thinking out loud.

Sweet! Thanks for the link Steph. That makes me feel a lot more confident that mine is legit. Very cool. Especially considering I only paid $100 for the two cigar boxes of marbles and so far from what I can gather the value of the mibs far, far exceeds that number in value.. Monetarily speaking, of course. I'm in it for the love of marbles and collecting them. So as far as I'm concerned they're priceless. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...