Finished selling on feeBay

bumblebee

I sold something recently, a 12" replica working vintage video game called Dragon's Lair, for $384 (cost me $149 originally).

eBay took $53 in fees and I paid $47 to ship it 1,200 miles USPS priority mail. I listed it as free shipping assume it would be about $20 in shipping. It weighed under 6lbs. I still made some money off the deal but simply not worth it. I could have sat on it another five years and watched the value double or triple as these were sold out.

I had no idea postal costs had skyrocketed so much. I returned a single caster wheel for my BBQ that was the wrong size. I stuffed it in a small box and the cheapest shipping was $15, half the original price!

If you were an 80s kid like me you may really enjoy these Replicade arcade recreations. Truly works of art!

I remember Dragons Lair...wasn't that the one with the knight, princess and dragon, kinda like playing a cartoon? Been so long but that seems like what I remember. Also remember getting charred like burger on the grill too long also 🐲

Ebay. I remember when things started getting a little crazy with the fees. Seemed like they were starting to charge a fee for everything back when I got out. Postage wasn't as bad as it is now but was starting to show signs of a slow but steady increase. I remember when I began keeping my listings pretty basic because of a new fee of some sort suddenly being added. And going small because of shipping prices beginning to climb. Between those issues and the time consumption, I just hung it up. Still have my power seller certificate around here somewhere, for earning so much per month. For some time, it was fun and profitable. Nice extra money. Too bad to hear it's gotten so out of control with cost. I shipped a very small box too California from Minnesota this past Christmas that also was under 6 pounds, cost me around 40 bucks. The Christmas prior to that same thing, about the same weight but easily almost 5 bucks cheaper. Same destination. It's nuts.

Just had a memory I wanted to share regarding Ebay...I had a knack for spotting items that I thought would sell and I recall on an outing I spotted this planter. It was various tones of brown and beige with a few other colors sprinkled in. It was of good size, about as big as a soccer ball. It was in the likeness of an owl, double sided. I picked it up pretty cheap, around 10 bucks. After some research, I discovered that it was a VHTF unmarked McCoy. I listed it for a 3 day selling period and picked up the typical watchers, bids, etc. During the last hour, the bid suddenly jumped almost 20 bucks. As I watched, refreshing occasionally, this same bidder would jump ahead every time over another bidder. Turns out this was a lady who lived in Texas, who was ecstatic to win her prize, spending around $150. Turns out that, even though I had researched it, knowing I had a McCoy, there had been another one made too match it! The particular one I had, she had searched for the longest time trying to find. I recieved an email with pictures some time later of her standing on her front porch with her owls hanging behind her full of beautiful flowers. Now that was a good feeling. Probably the only thing about Ebay I miss are the rewards like that. 😊

• Like 2

7 hours ago, William said:

I remember Dragons Lair...wasn't that the one with the knight, princess and dragon, kinda like playing a cartoon? Been so long but that seems like what I remember. Also remember getting charred like burger on the grill too long also 🐲

Yup! First laserdisc game. They also did Space Ace and another I think?

1 hour ago, bumblebee said:

Yup! First laserdisc game. They also did Space Ace and another I think?

Yeah, and when it first hit arcades and movie theater lobbies, you had too wait to play...did that a few times!

• 1 month later...