Roger Hardy Akro Collection

Akro Nirvana,

Thanks so much for the images. This is my Disneyland trip of the future.

No Haters here my friend, Akro slags are in the quad-millions and they sure can look like all the others ever made--if in doubt--call it an Akro, no arguments from me.

Welcome here for sure,

Slag--On!! and Marble--On for sure!!

Indeed, Welcome and thanks for sharing all those great pictures. Myself, pretty much new to marble collecting and the marble world, having basically started earlier this year. Also love collecting the Akroware and whatever slag glass pieces I come across that grab my attention, be it Akro, Fenton, Westmoreland, etc. Looking forward to your mib pics 😊

• Like 1

I've been collecting glass for nigh on 20 years when I started when I was 13 or thereabouts. I have a massive antique bottle collection but got into marbles a couple of years ago after I completely ran out of room for bottles. I think marbles are more fascinating than bottles. I am and have been obsessed with birding too since I was young, and marbles are much like birding with identification and pattern recognition. I've amassed a pretty sizeable marble collection of every known marble maker in the Americas; along with quite a few Euro marble makers; it helps being only an 1.5 hours away from where most of the WV marble making companies were. I dig for marbles almost every weekend down in WV and around where I live at town dumps and its awesome when a marble pops out of the dirt and I know that I'm the first person that has held that marble since someone touched it in 1930 or whatever. 

My akro collection however only takes up one shelf and pales completely in comparison to Rogers. I mean he probably has millions of dollars of akro and got to dig at the factory site before you would get arrested for doing so. I probably only have about 5k of akro marbles but its a start and luckily I didnt pay much for them as Ive found most in jars or in the ground. 

• Like 1

Show some bottles Pittsburgh, just add some of your marble digs with them.

I have dug old dumpsites in Wisconsin but I quit when I started finding old cattle syringes. My kids and I had great fun doing this together, swatting mosquitoes, getting dirty for fun and walking home with a great time spent in the outdoors and most times finding little else but a bunch of rusty fingers, junk and bones. We always thought that it was a treasure though. Living around WV I am sure that you did better--show it off.

I love the Steelers by the way, Just a close second to the Packers is all I can say.

Marble--On!! and dig --on!!---Kids on for sure!!! 

^^ 

I’m moving into a new house, our first house ever after renting my whole life, so most of my bottles are packed away. But here’s some of my display as of now and a new Akro box I just found yesterday at an estate sale. The demijohn I’m holding I bought back in college in Arkansas in 2011 at some dudes barn after I told him I collect bottles and got it from him for 20 bucks, it’s an 1840s Pittsburgh made demijohn and worth about 2k. The Beech nut tobacco porcelain sign from around 1920 I dug up about 3 weeks ago at a dump; where I also found a Navarre marble from around 1890 below the sign in Steubenville. 

51380820701_c1e5489c67_b.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51380056147_02bfdc0752_b.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51381057853_a2bb0513a3_b.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickrp/2mhm8Vv]51380820731_7897ce0b48_b.jpg[/url]Untitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51381057848_2386e475f8_b.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Award 1

I have taken several people to view Roger and Claudia's collection. But they always stated that they did not want any pictures of their collection posted on the internet.  They always granted permission to take pictures as long as they were never posted on the internet or published. Things must have changed ??   

^
hmmmm he was in there when I was taking photos and he didn’t seem to mind and didn’t say anything about not posting them but if he doesn’t want photos of his collection out there I guess I can take this down... I just figured it would be a good reference for people and I bought his book and 80 bucks of Akro stuff when I was at his store yesterday; which I highly highly recommend anyone going to if you like Akro glassware and collect it as he has tons for sale. And obviously if you care about marbles you should def go see his absolutely incredible one of a kind world class collection.