box question

Berryb

Is this box legit? The reason I ask is; the one panel says No. 5 and a #5 mib is an inch and 3/16ths diameter. That would no more fit in that box than fly to the moon. The only other explanation is Master used a numbering system for box sizes. If it turns out to be a fake that would call the other box into question (same source). Thanks

Bruce

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

box generic1.jpg

It's legit, and a no. 5 mib would be 15/16". Although, the No. 5 on this box probably just refers to the box style.

The second box also appears to be a legit jobber box. Although, I believe some of these were filled many years after the boxes themselves were made.

You are right to ask because the Master #5 boxes were faked (maybe some others as well). Looking at the logo in the circle with the mMm. In the fakes the middle “M” side posts are straight up and down. The originals flare out to the sides at the top like yours does. Great question!

Marble—On!!!

8 minutes ago, Berryb said:

I got the marble size from an old Grist book. Grist got it from an old catalog. Thanks

Bruce

I'd be interested to see what Everett was talking about. Can you give me the edition and page number?

Thanks.

I agree with the center logo and the M being the easy key to the fakes. Several of these Master boxes were made fake. 

The boxes with the stars 10 cents are old original and can be red, or blue or green. You find a wide range of marbles in these, over several years. Some have nice marbles some have very common and or plain marbles. Probably a jobber box or used by different jobbers ? 

29 minutes ago, Berryb said:

Everett Grist's Big Book of Marbles 2nd Ed. page 12  The catalog page is on pg.13. Thanks

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. I guess I never really paid much attention to that section since I am not real big on hand-made marbles. It's interesting to me that they were sized in 1/8" increments, except the difference between a No. 0 and No. 1, which was a difference of 1/16" and the increment between No. 8 & No. 9 & No 10, which were 3/16"each. Honestly, the sizing system described seems a bit arbitrary to me, but I suppose it helped cover the bigger sized ones.

The American machine-made system is much more standardized. As far as I know, it uses 1/16" increments throughout (No. 00 = 9/16, No. 0 = 10/16, No. 1 = 11/16, etc.), which makes it much more sensible, at least to me.