Beat up clay marble

Newblue

I hear your assurance that it is clay.  I still can't see that though.  The high shine doesn't go with clay in my mind.

It looks mineral.  

Normal clays are worth very little even in mint condition.   

This is a cool old marble and it may be some form of multi layered clay, it could be ancient or it could be mineral.

It looks like it was fired/glazed and covered again and then fired/glazed once more—kind of an odd thing. The way that the layers are chipped off does look like it has been wrapped in several layers of clay of some sort.

I played around with it on my photo editor and I have two questions.

The first set of images shows a fissure and I would like to know what it looks like inside of the dark area that I highlighted

The second set of images shows what appears to be some form of marking. I highlighted this as well.

Nice images!

Marble—On!!

What is this 1.jpg

What is this 2.jpg

2 hours ago, Steph said:

I hear your assurance that it is clay.  I still can't see that though.  The high shine doesn't go with clay in my mind.

It looks mineral.  

Normal clays are worth very little even in mint condition.   

You may be right. I didn’t mean definitely clay, I should’ve said I believe it is as that is what I was told on another forum, but you guys seem smarter 😃. I know nothing, I am one week new to marble collecting. 

1 hour ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

The shine is throwing me off.  Usually the glaze is on the outside and the innards are chalky/matte white (from what I've seen).  Probably not valuable in that condition unless it turns out to be a petrified dinosaur egg or (or world's oldest gobstopper) or something

Dinosaur egg would be awesome! 😂

50 minutes ago, akroorka said:

This is a cool old marble and it may be some form of multi layered clay, it could be ancient or it could be mineral.

It looks like it was fired/glazed and covered again and then fired/glazed once more—kind of an odd thing. The way that the layers are chipped off does look like it has been wrapped in several layers of clay of some sort.

I played around with it on my photo editor and I have two questions.

The first set of images shows a fissure and I would like to know what it looks like inside of the dark area that I highlighted

The second set of images shows what appears to be some form of marking. I highlighted this as well.

Nice images!

Marble—On!!

I tried using my eye loop to get a better image inside that crack. It just looks like more and more layers. Also I can’t tell what the marking might be, if it is one. It appears much lighter on the next layer down also (to the right of where you were looking) 

F97D1C4F-C857-41F0-8413-3BE8D69DA998.jpeg

3B8FDDB1-A8A8-46C2-89CF-47F13308B0B5.jpeg

77B9A0A0-15C2-4E48-9465-F3924F97AB91.jpeg