New forum for historical documents

Steph

You may have noticed our new subforum:

Marble-Related Documents, News, Etc., Especially Items with Dates - Marble Connection

The idea is to have a place where it's easy to find historical documents which currently have a tendency to slip to the back pages of the forum.  

We want to especially focus on items that we know the dates for.   You'll notice that we're putting the year at the start of the thread title.  The subforum has an option to sort by thread title.  With the year listed first, a reader can quickly put the items into chronological order.

So if you have a series of Butler Brothers catalog ads, for instance, then make separate threads for the 1892 ads and the 1905 ads.  

We're going with a "keep it simple" approach to thread content.   As a general rule of thumb, we're encouraging essentially one item per thread.   That way the title of the thread can be descriptive of the content.   

Of course,  if you have a related series of documents, such as back-and-forth communications between two companies which spanned many months, then it would make sense to have that all in a single thread.   

If you have an amazing item that you don't know the date of, then it's still welcome!   Maybe at least a general date will be found in subsequent discussion and we can edit the title.   

Not everything has to be academic or technical or dry.   Fun items are welcome too.   And some of the things which get posted will be nonfactual, but that can be fun too.   Do you have any idea how many men were credited with inventing the machine which started the machine-made marble industry?   I don't have a count, but I've come across the claim often.  I'm pretty sure Berry Pink and Art Fisher both got credit at some point for inventing Martin F. Christensen's machine.  A lot of not-quite-right lore found its way into newspapers.  We'll take it in stride.  

I like this idea. Hopefully we can keep it organized. So much great stuff has already been posted but it's everywhere. Can we copy document (image) links from previous posts and start a thread with attribution to the person who originally posted the document?

38 minutes ago, Ric said:

I like this idea. Hopefully we can keep it organized. So much great stuff has already been posted but it's everywhere. Can we copy document (image) links from previous posts and start a thread with attribution to the person who originally posted the document?

If I understand your question, I'll say yes.

With the 1955 Sports Illustrated thread, I almost started a new thread with the images and planned to just give credit to the original poster.  In the end, I moved the whole thread because it was relatively short and had good info in it.   

But if you find some document you'd like to highlight, starting a new thread with it and giving credit is a fine plan.  

When I'm finding photobucket images, I'm not simply linking to them. I'm transferring them to this site because I just don't trust the photobucket images not to completely disappear. 

25 minutes ago, Steph said:

If I understand your question, I'll say yes.

With the 1955 Sports Illustrated thread, I almost started a new thread with the images and planned to just give credit to the original poster.  In the end, I moved the whole thread because it was relatively short and had good info in it.   

But if you find some document you'd like to highlight, starting a new thread with it and giving credit is a fine plan.  

When I'm finding photobucket images, I'm not simply linking to them. I'm transferring them to this site because I just don't trust the photobucket images not to completely disappear. 

Better check that subforum, Steph. I put Bill's doc there as a guest (not logged in).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

Better check that subforum, Steph. I put Bill's doc there as a guest (not logged in).

Yeah, we used to be able to post as guests, then Jason made it so we couldn't,  but now that's back again.  Not sure what happened.  

I split Bill's post from here over to a new thread over there and let Jason know about the guest posting.  

We have wrinkles to iron out.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47f5efrxb8bsd6rra77r

43 minutes ago, Steph said:

:) 

The guest commenting is turned back off.   There is a notice that un-logged-in browsers have to sign in to comment.

Should be no more confusion there.

Sounds good, Steph. Now, an explicit sticky note at the top to encourage proper formatting of titles might be helpful.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Steph said:

:) 

The guest commenting is turned back off.   There is a notice that un-logged-in browsers have to sign in to comment.

Should be no more confusion there.

Another thought, if dates are in the format 2022-01-30  (year-month-day) sorting will work better. Otherwise, separation by month will be in alphabetical and not chronological order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Another thought, if dates are in the format 2022-01-30  (year-month-day) sorting will work better. Otherwise, separation by month will be in alphabetical and not chronological order.

It's looking good, Steph!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steph said:

Great advice there, Ric!

This is such a good idea - I really want to see it work well.

I'd be tempted to put the date format info right up in the forum header too. This from a guy who knows that nobody actually reads the syllabus until it's too late.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'd be tempted to put the date format info right up in the forum header too. This from a guy who knows that nobody actually reads the syllabus until it's too late.

I _might_ be able to make that change, but it looks like a job for @bumblebee

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

e.g., Please begin the title of threads with dated documents with the date of the document stated as year-mm-dd followed by -- and a brief description.