OX OR NO OX? OLLY OLLY OXEN FREE?

Jeremysvt

It is a Pelt,

No Ox---not a Woodie.

Woodies are named for a reason----brown looking---woodie texture---not red---almost like a tree cut one way or another.

This one is a nice pelt Rainbo---imho of course.

Marble--On!!

I've noticed more and more marbles being called woodies.  

I remain distantly fascinated by the ebb and flow of collector names.

Collectors will come up with a name for a very specific type of marble, such as a "fruit cocktail", and then over the years more and more marbles will slide under that name.

But I've also seen it reversed.  Alley Pistachio for instance.   Lately it seems that a UV-reactive base is required to get a Pistachio ID.   When I was brand new and just trying to sort that out, I read a marble elder say that about 50% of Pistachios will have UV-reactive bases.  In the years since then that definition has tightened up.  

Woodie is a marble that seemed pretty exclusive when I started out.  Not to mention elusive.  I never felt sure about the definition of it.  And now I'm less sure. ;)  

1 hour ago, Steph said:

I've noticed more and more marbles being called woodies.  

I remain distantly fascinated by the ebb and flow of collector names.

Collectors will come up with a name for a very specific type of marble, such as a "fruit cocktail", and then over the years more and more marbles will slide under that name.

But I've also seen it reversed.  Alley Pistachio for instance.   Lately it seems that a UV-reactive base is required to get a Pistachio ID.   When I was brand new and just trying to sort that out, I read a marble elder say that about 50% of Pistachios will have UV-reactive bases.  In the years since then that definition has tightened up.  

Woodie is a marble that seemed pretty exclusive when I started out.  Not to mention elusive.  I never felt sure about the definition of it.  And now I'm less sure. ;)  

I agree, Steph, "lumping" seems far more common than "splitting" though.

Well, I am not afraid to admit that I may be wrong.
Here is an old shot of what I have been led to believe over the years is a ”Woody”.
I wish that I could do better today—no sunlight—I give up.
I have a few---they are Killer marbles and I just love-em.
Times/IDs do change—I will admit.
Marble—On!!

woodypair.JPG

• Like 1