Popeye. Hybrid?

Brock

Opinion:  I find the word "hybrid" to be unhelpful.  A hybrid is a cross between two different distinct types of something.  It somehow was introduces into marbles to suggest that a marble has some color in it other than the typical variety.... which has nothing to do with the word 'hybrid'.

I don't expect noting this to change anything. 

• Award 1

56 minutes ago, Alan said:

Opinion:  I find the word "hybrid" to be unhelpful.  A hybrid is a cross between two different distinct types of something.  It somehow was introduces into marbles to suggest that a marble has some color in it other than the typical variety.... which has nothing to do with the word 'hybrid'.

I have always had the same thought...I sorta feel the same about (end of day)

Just my opinion 🤷 

9 hours ago, Alan said:

Indeed that would be  more accurate  and Websters would mostly agree. I would prefer the factory name myself. Imo the tri- onyx is a gold standard in the Akro line up . I would not call Kellogs Corn Flakes " roosters" . Despite the hybrid misnomer , i believe the essence of the question was understood and at the end of the day that is all that matters. At least they have not been labelled genetically modified....yet.

Good points but it’s even seemingly impossible to get members of this blog to use fractions for reporting measurements. Mostly you still see peeps using tenths of an inch or even mm! Hybrid will not go away either, these things are too easily accessible it seems and hard to change once ensconced. 

Jon

I appreciate all that has been said but a “Hybrid Popeye” is what it is. A collectors and sellers term that has been around too long to change. 
The original posted marble is a Hybrid Popeye.
Nice marble!
I feel your pain jhomer2172, Google is translating mm to inches for me all of the time:dunno:.
Marble—On!!

• Like 1