Photos of my inherited collection as I go

Hello, I inherited a large collection that belonged to my grandfather a few years back. He passed away around 26 years ago and have been sitting since. I got a wild hair and decided to take on the challenge of sorting and learning what they are this past Monday. 

I am blown away by the patterns, designs and level of detail they have! I knew nothing really about marbles on Monday and have learned a lot since. I was initially going to auction them, but once I opened the first box I cannot do that! I am hooked!

Here's a topic for photos as I go. I'll reply to this thread with more photos.

I have a lot unboxed and set out so far, but so more to go! I hope you all enjoy them like my grandfather did and I am doing now! 

FB_IMG_1660750203082.jpg

FB_IMG_1660750205944.jpg

20220817_205649.jpg

20220818_180628.jpg

20220818_180711.jpg

20220818_181148.jpg

20220818_181241.jpg

20220818_181944.jpg

20220818_180340.jpg

Yes, having a blast so far. And I accidently opened the box since I thought it was just a moving box from when we packed them up and I moved them from Ohio to Georgia. It had 24 packs of those A-OK marbles, but a few of the packs were busted open. The old plastic just gave out on some on the bottom of the box.

Nice BEN, 
Grandpa was obviously into it all and I mean all—all over the place. He obviously loved all marbles.
Treat those Master Made Marble boxes with great care. They are not a real common thing to find in that size. The Vitro Blackies bag is a great bag too.
Keep them coming!
Marble—On!!

• Like 1

That's awesome!  My wife would probably have something to say about it but what a HUGE collection.  Watch out with those big glass jugs, sometimes they spontaneously bust.  Some of the handmades look original, but there are some contemporary and (possibly polished) ones mixed in. 

What strikes me as interesting, is that 26 years ago, some marbles might have been considered common enough to just throw in a jug or jar.  Nowadays there could be high demand for those 'exiled' marbles.

Have fun, and if your Grandfather had that much passion for the hobby I'm sure he'd appreciate you enjoying them as well

• Award 1
  • Care 1

Wow awesome .....we have a fourm for marbleholics ,looks like you are gonna need to visit it . .....lol. 

What a huge amazing collection of marbles have fun sorting and learning it is a wonderful hobby. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your treasure trove....

And welcome to the marble community 👍😃

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I'm loving it so far and since making my first post on a couple FB groups and then on here the support is amazing! Seems like a lot of great people are into this hobby. I'm so ecstatic to be able to bring my grandpa's marbles another life! Still having a tough time figuring out how to identify them. Reading about marble types online on several sites and realizing a contemporary isn't also classified as say a ribbon core swirl since it's contemporary like the one attached. All in due time!

More photos to come soon!

20220819_170309.jpg

20220819_170329.jpg

20220819_170355.jpg

20220819_170440.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

That's awesome!  My wife would probably have something to say about it but what a HUGE collection.  Watch out with those big glass jugs, sometimes they spontaneously bust.  Some of the handmades look original, but there are some contemporary and (possibly polished) ones mixed in. 

What strikes me as interesting, is that 26 years ago, some marbles might have been considered common enough to just throw in a jug or jar.  Nowadays there could be high demand for those 'exiled' marbles.

Have fun, and if your Grandfather had that much passion for the hobby I'm sure he'd appreciate you enjoying them as well

I can't wait to dive into the jars. Some are mostly grouped and appear similar, but most are random different looking marbles. Definitely tons of glowing ones with my UV light! Pretty cool to see. 

Does anyone know anything about Robert A Brown? I'm told by my family that him and my grandpa were friends and I have probably 100 or so marbles with his name on it. Including one personalized to my grandpa and grandma as well as one that my brother designed and Robert Brown made into a marble for my grandpa. My brother would have been about 8 and I was a few months old at that time. Pretty cool to see and think about. I also found the two letters stuffed in a marble collector book of his. 

20220819_214702.jpg

20220817_194432.jpg

20220817_194444.jpg

20220819_214821.jpg

20220819_214829.jpg

That's some nice ephemera to go with some nice marbles.   Dennis Webb and Robert Brown are both marble luminaries. 

I found this thread first ... it has Brown's photograph. 

Robert Brown - Archives - Marble Connection

It links to this thread:  

Robert Brown And His Brownie Marbles - Archives - Marble Connection

• Like 1
  • Award 1

Hey Ben, this is Sherri from FB. I am the one that recommended this page. I try to be covert on forums, so use my middle name on here (Leigh), but I am the same person. I'm glad you joined here. I just looked at the FB photos of that marble by L. Matthey. I have a feeling it has something to do with Freemasons. I have to do more research though! So interesting....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Leigh said:

Hey Ben, this is Sherri from FB. I am the one that recommended this page. I try to be covert on forums, so use my middle name on here (Leigh), but I am the same person. I'm glad you joined here. I just looked at the FB photos of that marble by L. Matthey. I have a feeling it has something to do with Freemasons. I have to do more research though! So interesting....

Hey! Thanks for recommending this site to me! Photos of marble she's referring to attached. Looking for any info on it.

20220819_221324.jpg

20220819_221342.jpg

20220819_221238.jpg

20220819_221254.jpg

2 minutes ago, BENgineer said:

Hey! Thanks for recommending this site to me! Photos of marble she's referring to attached. Looking for any info on it.

20220819_221324.jpg

20220819_221342.jpg

20220819_221238.jpg

20220819_221254.jpg

Hey Ben, I don't want to ask any personal information, but it might help to know the year your grandfather was born (his age) and what town/state he lived in while he was obtaining the marbles.  

Just curious... what type of engineer are you? My boyfriend is a Robotics Engineer and I work for an engineering software company where we do software for Water/Bridges/Highway, etc., etc....

• Like 1

This is definitely the Freemason`s emblem. Just ordered a book on their symbols, etc., but I know enough already to positively ID this. Wow.  If these few marbles indicate the depth and variety of this collection . . . I hardly know what to say, except that your grandfather was a great collector!

• Like 1