Akro , Pelt , Slag Marble (9)

Mojo

15 hours ago, Mojo said:

3 more 

Nice ones 

1st one ....Akro Lazy Cork 

2nd ....Peltier ? ....Skunk ?

3rd ....Slag Marble.....has the (9) in the swirl on one pole .....correct ?

20220824_073115.jpg

20220824_073157.jpg

20220824_073238.jpg

'Lazy Corkscrew" I think the pastel Pale green with Maroon is Akro Royal patch.  However, It does not mean the two colors were not made as corks.  But the way it appears, the cut lines would be at each end of a corkscrew. It looks more like a patch that got squiggly which has the colors Akro used in Royals. A pastel Pale green with Maroon Royal patch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chad G. said:

I thought any rotation disqualified it as a patch and then considered a lazy cork ??   :dunno:

Not so important yet, Paches like this can get squiggly on one side or the other and I think the key here is not necessarily just the Pale green. The maroon is like, not been spun as Barker's spinning cup would have twisted both together with the same motion.   Straight Maroon patch and swirly Pale green motion is not in sync. 

For a Royal, the wiggly Pastel , Pale green is a bonus. 

16 hours ago, Chad G. said:

I thought any rotation disqualified it as a patch and then considered a lazy cork ??   :dunno:

You Know Chad  Chad G.    and ann   In years and years, I really have not paid much attention to Royal marbles. Patches, like, I seem to recall a discussion, gosh, must have been in the 90's.  Old memory is not too faded, yet.  I would say; most everybody just makes a quick presumption that every Akro patch, must be a Royal.  If that were true then all the marbles in a complete, and not back-filled, as in sticking a bunch of patches to replace missing others would not match the real thing. Squiggly wiggly and erratic swirly Royal patches is a thing on some. 

I have lost many years of info on a hard drive about 20 years ago after an electric Company Brown out. So, if I'd captured old nineties info, that's gone. Brain drain of time, still got some stuff in there. ha, ha. And as previous reply, difference in a cork is whether Barker spun it or not. 

Anyways, the net, and google has plenty data and so, I asked. 

Here's an aged Morphy auction photo and unaltered, as it appears and perhaps an early set where you get a little more verity in the patches and the colors Akro advertises, "Pastel" colors. Not great photo: I suspect, old camera low pixels but good enough to see how Royals are not always just any old patch where good eyes should see, plenty action happening on some that are not symmetric as other Akro patches and Royals tend to be. (Bonus photo below this old box set from murphy auctions.)

22252042_1_x.jpg?quality=80&version=1385

Rightfuly, I'll plug this seller's eBay offering. No clue who it is but they have 2  original 1937 ads for sale and in it, Royals have some description. 1937 PAPER AD Akro Agates Mesh Bag Royal Box Moonstone Glass Marbles | eBay

And as I understand regs and rules, laws do not prohibit displaying public availed photos, if you are not attempting to sell or earn monies, profit by doing so. So, I swiped their photo for educational purposes. Hopefully it loads as large as I blew it up so, it's easy to read the whole thing click the +'s until new page opens:

1218967884_1937PAPERADAkroAgatesMeshBagRoyalBoxMoonstoneGlassMarbles.thumb.jpg.a6c0d25a0c6d09485a7656b02bab77c3.jpg

• Like 1

Good eye Jeff54, I get where you are coming from. 
The marble in question does look like it twisted before cutoff but not with the help of a spinner cup. Intended to be a patch is a good conclusion.
In hand is always better but I can agree with patch for sure.
The cutoffs in a corkscrew are usually better defined but not always, so it could be a wonky corkscrew as well.
Marble—On!!

I see your point, too, Jeff54, but it still bothers me when I see how far around the marble the red stretches. However, I`m not a patch devotee (OK, I do look out for crazy Peerless Patches), although I do like a nice corkscrew, so my opinion on this one is worth less than it sometimes is! 

3 hours ago, ann said:

I see your point, too, Jeff54, but it still bothers me when I see how far around the marble the red stretches. However, I`m not a patch devotee (OK, I do look out for crazy Peerless Patches), although I do like a nice corkscrew, so my opinion on this one is worth less than it sometimes is! 

Consider this Ann:, Is the Maroon stretching? I think not because it's the base or greater portion. Rather the Pale Green is doing its thing in the Maroon.  ;)

After having a sandwich and thinking about it:

As I said I`m not a patch collector - although I do buy pretty ones now and again - but I am a transparent-based corkscrew fancier and collector, and the only Akro I`ve seen like this with a transparent red base and this color of green, is a cork, and a very fat cork too. The only other color combination I`ve found with a transparent base and very fat cork is blue transparent with a yellow fat cork. So I`m sticking with lazy cork, myself. Not a hill I`m willing to die on, mind you. To each his own!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 7:08 PM, ann said:

After having a sandwich and thinking about it:

As I said I`m not a patch collector - although I do buy pretty ones now and again - but I am a transparent-based corkscrew fancier and collector, and the only Akro I`ve seen like this with a transparent red base and this color of green, is a cork, and a very fat cork too. The only other color combination I`ve found with a transparent base and very fat cork is blue transparent with a yellow fat cork. So I`m sticking with lazy cork, myself. Not a hill I`m willing to die on, mind you. To each his own!

I am a patch collector to some degree.  I'm agreeing. It's just a little beyond the patch to be a Royal.  Certainly Royals don't have to be quite symmetrical patches but once they start to bend and twist around, I agree that that pushes it toward the lazy corkscrew.  This one starts out as a great patch. so maybe in this case it's an exuberant patch that just decided it wanted to become a corkscrew part way through, But I wouldn't call it a patch.  But I wouldn't get rid of it!  At least IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally, I had a looky at those I have, and one has got same Pastel green and Maroon, with less squiggle but a  match squiggle and all. . And it took me a while to find the same colors in a corkscrew and it's 7/8" which there's no doubting it is Pastel green and maroon plus a big cork. Yet still for the topic, that's a patch where bonus points are due because extra squiggle. Also Ann, I was mistaken as to the base being Maroon, no doubt base is Pastel green. 

"Pastel green" peeps should take note,: for the advertisement I added, we have names to fit Akro's pastel colors.  If I recall correctly, the only reason I have that big cork is  because I deemed the Green uncommon and not, as I did not know about the ad when I picked it, not which Akro colors it is. . So, for the Royals I have, bingo on my cork.  The ad cites: "Pastel Green with maroon, Creem with deep blue Etc." it's of the few times we have named Akro colors where matching the Royal patches can help cite individual color of some corks.  I expect the Cream and deep blue, where maroon is transparent, the deep blue is also transparent.  Especially you can also see, in the box I posted too, Pastel yellow, green and blue. You can see, what I expect is also Pastel blue, in sparklers. 😉