Primary Colors

Fire1981

As an artist I know of 3. Blue,red and yellow. I’ve often heard the the debate about if white and black are colors. I win every time. Pop Eyes have to have a white wispy ribbon. A Vitro Blackies. White Slags. I can’t remember which thread it was but there was a reference to a 4th primary color. If anyone can remember that thread I’m curious what the 4th one is. 🔥

As an art historian I know there are only three too, the ones you named. All other colors are made by mixing those together, like blue+ yellow = green. But blue, red, and yellow - you either have them or you don`t. And yes, I agree that black and white are colors, too. If you mix all pigment colors together, you get black, for instance; mix all light colors together, you get white - although we`re more used to seeing the opposite, a prism breaking white light down into colors.

Very glad you brought this up - I have the same vague memory of a reference to another primary color, but I don`t remember where.

And maybe this is kicking over an anthill, :worms:  but you mentioned Popeyes, so I might as well go there too, since it`s late at night! There are occasional mentions of "blends" with Popeyes and sometimes other marbles, and normally I ignore those mentions. It works that way with pigment colors, like blue + red = purple, but it doesn`t work that way with glass colors. They don`t mix or blend like that. Sometimes they react chemically with each other, usually producing a dark thread where they meet (I think this is where the "burnt" colors, like a "Burnt Christmas Tree" come in).

When it looks like a blend on marbles, especially Popeyes, it`s actually a slight overlay of one glass color over another, producing the illusion of a blend - but that`s all it is, an illusion.

So when looking at a Popeye that might be a "hybrid," or 3-color Popeye, you can tell by first seeing if the thread of a third color is physically where a blend illusion would take place, and if so, is the third color one that would be produced by an overlay of the two main colors. For example, if a thread of green is between the blue and yellow of a Popeye, it`s probably an overlay illusion. If that third color is a thread of orange between the blue and yellow, it ain`t an overlay = hybrid Popeye.

Or if the third color is a primary color, which can`t be produced by an overlay, = hybrid Popeye. For example, I have a red & green Popeye with a thread of yellow = primary color = hybrid; another one is a purple & yellow Popeye with a thread of blue (primary color) running down the middle of the blue = hybrid. And so forth.

My how I do go on, late at night. Nitpicking? Well, I used to get paid for doing just that! My apologies for what might be taken for a rant. It`s not meant as one, I swear! I better go to bed now. Good night . . . 

• Award 1

The primary colors for light are different from the primary colors for pigments.  

For the colored lights that you see coming from your TV screen or computer monitor, the primary colors are red, green, blue.   I wonder if that's where the notion of a fourth primary color came in.  

But they're two separate things.    Three primary colors for  pigments.  Three primary colors for light.  Not a fourth primary color.    

I bet that`s it. How green snuck in there.     :computer-22:

I remember being really puzzled when some people started saying "cyan" slags instead of aqua or turquoise, and then found out it was, basically, an electronic color, like you say, in TVs or computers. I`m glad that trend seems to have been short-lived. Or at least I haven`t noticed it since I`ve been back.

Thanks, Steph - I knew I could count on you!

:clap2:

WOW ! Nice work you guys/gals. The “other” color to be recognized is gray. Black+White = Gray. So there are 6 colors that are recognized as colors.Women see more colors then men because of the amount of cones and rods in their in eyes. They can process 6-8 colors where men usually work with just 4. Just compare wardrobes. Think about it. This is why it takes longer for women to get dressed then men. This is also something that shows up in paintings. I can usually tell if was painted by a male or female artists 🔥

Thank you Ann.  Glass colors do not mix or blend to make a new different color. I see or hear it every day with marble talk.  That is a yellow blend or that's a blend of blue and green. That is a bended hybrid. I am sure that I have done it. But glass colors do not blend to make a different color. Yes they can lay over top of each other and look a different color, especially over white. Temperature will affect glass color.  Sammy has some that is clear. When heated to make marbles it is nice cranberry red. Some colored glass can get to much heat and turn brown then even black. Many times there are powdered chemicals added to enhance color. These can cause chemical reactions and change colors. But glass colors do not blend to make a new different color. Glass colors and paint colors are much different.   

• Like 1
  • Award 1

Thank you Ron!

And yep gray is a color too!

I do acknowledge why many marble collectors don`t count white; I see it as a kind of shorthand. An Akro cork with, say, a two-color spiral on a white base glass is considered a two-color cork = not counting the white. In cases like that, I get it, and accept that vocabulary as being peculiar to marble collectors. But please don`t say (or even think!) that white is not a color! Or black. Or gray. Or you might set off the artists and art historians among us again!

• Haha 1
  • Award 1

1 hour ago, Fire1981 said:

Women see more colors then men because of the amount of cones and rods in their in eyes. They can process 6-8 colors where men usually work with just 4. Just compare wardrobes. Think about it. This is why it takes longer for women to get dressed then men. This is also something that shows up in paintings. I can usually tell if was painted by a male or female artists 🔥

Wow. I did not know that. Thanks Fire!

On 9/10/2022 at 12:32 AM, Fire1981 said:

As an artist I know of 3. Blue,red and yellow. I’ve often heard the the debate about if white and black are colors. I win every time. Pop Eyes have to have a white wispy ribbon. A Vitro Blackies. White Slags. I can’t remember which thread it was but there was a reference to a 4th primary color. If anyone can remember that thread I’m curious what the 4th one is. 🔥

Yeah, I think that was me, siting 4 primary colors in sparklers Red green yellow and blue. . .  Funny you mentioned this B/C  day before yesterday, it dawned on me I added Green into the mix. My bad.

Worse is; Art has played a major role of my life, wife and children too.[grin[

Yes! When I read this post of yours, I went back to several threads and found that one you mentioned. It was probably prompted by recent Akro Sparkler discussions about  the number of colors required for it to be a sparkler, would be my guess. Anyhow, it set off what turned out to be an informative thread, which is great!

I`m glad to hear that art has played a major role in your life - I wish more people were able to say that. We`d probably all get along better!

:thup:

• Award 1