Resin-encased damaged marbles

So this might be a totally crazy idea, but I was thinking about buying some clear resin and some spherical-shaped silicone molds in order to encase damaged/rough marbles that don't really have any monetary value, per se. The idea is that the marble gets a super shiny coating and might get a new life in the old display case. It obviously would negate any potential $ value, but would it work? Has anyone ever seen anyone do this? Am I completely off my rocker? 

I say do it. I’ve doctored marbles with the scratch repair stuff you can buy and use on your glasses. Coating the marble makes it look shiny. I’ve dabbed it in flea bites. I might use clear finger nail polish.I just thought of that. I will never trade or sell these. It’s just fun. Why have a Sparkler if you can’t see in the matrix. I’d be interested in seeing before and after pics if you do this. 🔥

RAR

6 hours ago, Kimbernugs said:

Yeah, I think I'll give it a try. It's not that great of an investment. I'll post my success or failure. 

Good luck 

Nice project , enjoy 

Hope to see it in the near future how it turned out  😃

9 hours ago, Kimbernugs said:

So this might be a totally crazy idea, but I was thinking about buying some clear resin and some spherical-shaped silicone molds in order to encase damaged/rough marbles that don't really have any monetary value, per se. The idea is that the marble gets a super shiny coating and might get a new life in the old display case. It obviously would negate any potential $ value, but would it work? Has anyone ever seen anyone do this? Am I completely off my rocker? 

A similar idea which someone else had success with:  coat it with polymer floor wax.  

Go for it!  Back in the day I wondered about "casing" damaged marbles in a layer of clear glass. 

Epoxy would be easier...but not without its challenges if you were going to do a spherical mold there would still be a parting line.  And trying to keep the marble centered.

If it were me I'd look at making a domed paperweight or incorporate them in a resin countertop or coaster or something.  Post some pics it would be a fun project.

• Like 1

I think that a lot of folks are waiting for results- Start out small. 
I always figured that a jar filled with beat up marbles would be a great place to start. A little jar--lol.
I have used resin in the past--it works quite well. 
My youngest brother was in the first Gulf War--he actually sent me a live Scorpion from Iraq---yes--very alive. Claws up--- stinger ready to pounce--lol.
I put it in the freezer to kill it and made a resin block with it.
He has it back now--not so alive. It worked out really well.
You are the “Guinea Pig” here—your idea—show some results and you will be copied—for sure.
Marble—On!!

I ordered a small thing of resin and hardener plus the spherical molds. Its cool cause the biggest one is 1" and they step down from there. They come with some little trinket things to make Keychains or whatever. There will definitely be a flat spot, but that's OK. Its not huge. I'm pondering on ways to suspend the marbles in the middle of the mold. I should have all the supplies by this weekend, so hopefully next week I'll have something to post. Wish me luck!

• Like 2