Sealed Bags - open or no?

Some bags are where pretty much all the value is.  A very hard to find Vitro bag with common conquerors in it?   Don't open! 

In general I'd try really hard to not open most bags.  Easier now that I've been doing this awhile than when I was starting out.   I do have a few Japanese cat's eye bags still intact. :)

But I bought an Anacortes Vitro bag to be educated.  And even if I can't find another, I don't mind that I took the marbles out to get some clear photos of them.  

Basically my advice is to put the bag in a safe container and wait until you are sure about it.  

Remember, even though you might say, "I'll just remove these staples and I can put it back together,"  it's easier said than done to reassemble.  And if it's "I'll just make a small hole in the bag," well that's not undoable. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Kimbernugs said:

If you were to buy a sealed bag with the original marbles inside, would you be a fool to open it? I suppose it would depend on the marbles, but are you just killing the value by opening it?

If you’re talking about a specific bag of vitro, yes you should open the bag and give some to your fellow marble friends. 🤪

• Haha 1

Just now, Melissa said:

If you’re talking specifically about a bag of cosmic rainbows, yes you should open the bag and give some to your fellow marble friends. 🤪

Oooh, what did I miss?! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Steph said:

Some bags are where pretty much all the value is.  A very hard to find Vitro bag with common conquerors in it?   Don't open! 

In general I'd try really hard to not open most bags.  Easier now that I've been doing this awhile than when I was starting out.   I do have a few Japanese cat's eye bags still intact. :)

But I bought an Anacortes Vitro bag to be educated.  And even if I can't find another, I don't mind that I took the marbles out to get some clear photos of them.  

Basically my advice is to put the bag in a safe container and wait until you are sure about it.  

Remember, even though you might say, "I'll just remove these staples and I can put it back together,"  it's easier said than done to reassemble.  And if it's "I'll just make a small hole in the bag," well that's not undoable. 

Sage advice and it makes perfect sense. I considered the staple thing, LOL. It just so tempting. But I like the idea of sitting on it for awhile and just getting a few similar types to display. 

I guess it would depend on the marbles.

They are only unopened once. They don't make them anymore. 

I've seen people open bags of tiger eyes and rainbos just to see the new common shiny marbles. Those marbles that are worth 50 cents each if you can find someone willing to pay that. But the still-sealed bags have the value. They keep on getting opened and one day there will be so few left that the value will be up there even for the more common stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Award 1

I have bought many historic bags, I sometimes open them and take the marbles out and keep the bag next to the marbles displayed. I’m very careful removing the staples and keep the original staples with the bag and the label. I also have loads of vitro plastic bags; I don’t bother opening those. If they’re common marbles in a bag I keep them in the bag as the value is the bag not the marbles. But if it’s a bag of Jackson’s or a bag of early akros, I’m sure as hell going to open it, but very carefully. 

Here’s an original bag of Jackson’s (only operated for one year and are very rare marbles) I recently got. I pulled out the staples very carefully with pliers and then took the marbles out and displayed them. I then very carefully put the staples back into the same position with the label. 

39704E45-3A90-428A-AC0B-64BED99B6764.jpeg

61B3B630-633D-4BB3-8CD3-18D563694566.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I’ll never open the one’s I have. Unless their full of Blue Galaxies and Guineas. I have a box I will never open. I can see the marbles and know it’s not a backfilled box. I’m not going to risk the chance of tearing the side flap. That’s just my take on it. 🔥

RAR

• Like 1

I’m guilty of being a bag opener 🚓 I had planned on not opening a mesh Alox bag,but from me handling it 2/3 time a week to look at the mibs one of the treads on the side broke and out poped a marble so I decided to take most of them out to take pics . My 1st Ravenswood bags I was only collecting around half a year and opened them thinking the red ones were Red Ravens, thought I scored big time lol turned out they were not Red Ravens just red and white Ravens ,but it was not a total loss because now I had known Ravenswood to study . But I agree with losing the value of the mibs by opening bags , but if your not going to be selling them they look so much better out of the bag on display like PittsburghMarbles did 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tommy said:

I wanna open this but , I think like cheese...:Panic:

20220510_125420.jpg

20220510_124420.jpg

9 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

Oh Snap ! Are those Bogarts 🔥

RAR

Yes, they are!   What a delicious bag!

• Award 1

I would never open a net--never.

I do open Master Glass Cats Eyes bags.

They are some of the worst bags ever made.

They get this weird cloudy crap on the interior that also sticks to the marbles.

Each to thier own!!

Marble--On!!

• Award 1