Just a steelie?

schmoozer

This was a large plastic jar of mibs I bought today at a garage sale. Saw some akros, pelt rainbos, and WVS…not cats and one or two game mibs. Plus one large Alley swirl on the bottom. Lady was using them for art projects, I told her I’d buy them and bring her back the jar full of other marbles for her projects. She was trying to raise money for a new washer, so I offered her $100. She was shocked as was her daughter. Didn’t want anymore marbles, so off I went.

this is 5/8”, never seen this surface before.64F42E92-D989-4F29-A228-A3A48F053FB9.thumb.jpeg.5222eb7bd3dcd4028a5b3c9ea28ac2db.jpegF633A8F6-5BA7-43F8-AA4B-F04D06021B30.thumb.jpeg.a1c373a072c7f49eba649593539f61de.jpeg

3D7EA1C6-2DD6-4864-9F30-8FDC98B2CA20.jpeg

Will it stick to a magnet? If so, probably just a weird, perhaps damaged, ball-bearing or something similar. If not, it sorta looks like it might be pewter or some other type of metal, in which case, I have no idea. lol.

• Like 1

Where is the rust?

I have packed plenty of bearings back in the days--this one should have a flat side or two to it if it is a burnt bearing.

To tell the truth--a great post and thread considering the object:character-smileys-238:.

Marble-On!!

• Like 1

My grandfather worked for a ball bearing company at the time that we were playing marbles and he brought home all sorts of steelies for us, including a real rough surface 1 in and a super smooth 1 in.  Playing marbles with that 1-in Steelie, oh, man, it just went through the game marble circle like a bulldozer.  We had to have an outlawed!!

20 hours ago, akroorka said:

Where is the rust?

I have packed plenty of bearings back in the days--this one should have a flat side or two to it if it is a burnt bearing.

To tell the truth--a great post and thread considering the object:character-smileys-238:.

Marble-On!!

That was my thought, the pitting is too uniform for wear or corrosion.

in the 60’s we didn’t have hollow steelies, just ball bearings.