What to take/bring to a Marble Show

Newton

I plan to attend the Northeast Marble Meet in CT next week. It’s my first time to attend a marble show. I’m not a dealer, artist or a vendor. I have a small collection but will primarily be attending to experience what the show is like and to talk to other enthusiasts and collectors, and maybe pick up a few marbles. 

I’m not sure I have any marbles that others might be interested in trading for but I do understood there will be some in room trading, etc., in addition to what happens during the event hours. I have booked a room for Friday and Saturday.  I’m also unclear on general trading etiquette regarding marbles.  Any tips on how to not be completely annoying to other attendees would be appreciated!

Bring your curiosity and a good small flashlight.  The room doors will be open days in advance.  Walk in, say hi, take your time.  ASK QUESTIONS!  See it as a learning opportunity more than a buying opportunity.  I suggest that you hold on buying until you have visited all of the rooms.  Then go back for key buys.  It is better to buy one $50. marble than ten, $5. marbles.  IMO - the real value of a show is LEARNING.  There is so much opportunity to learn because you have the glass IN HAND - not some pic on the Internet with variable lighting, color boosting and bad focus.  Nothing compares to having the marble in hand.

Ask WHY it is from a certain manufacturer.  Look at the glass, opacity, transparency, movement and color.  Don't try to learn all manufacturers at once.  Narrow it down to concentrate better and learn more.  Good sellers will answer questions without spin, hype or impatience.  Oh - and don't drop someone else's marble.  That's bad juju.  Develop a sense of who you are talking to - and who knows more and has more accurate info to share.  Beware hype.  Know when you are being hyped.

Some of the rooms will stay open quite late.  Much to be learned late.  Most of the show is 'over' behind the scenes before the show day begins.

Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Award 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Alan said:

Bring your curiosity and a good small flashlight.  The room doors will be open days in advance.  Walk in, say hi, take your time.  ASK QUESTIONS!  See it as a learning opportunity more than a buying opportunity.  I suggest that you hold on buying until you have visited all of the rooms.  Then go back for key buys.  It is better to buy one $50. marble than ten, $5. marbles.  IMO - the real value of a show is LEARNING.  There is so much opportunity to learn because you have the glass IN HAND - not some pic on the Internet with variable lighting, color boosting and bad focus.  Nothing compares to having the marble in hand.

Ask WHY it is from a certain manufacturer.  Look at the glass, opacity, transparency, movement and color.  Don't try to learn all manufacturers at once.  Narrow it down to concentrate better and learn more.  Good sellers will answer questions without spin, hype or impatience.  Oh - and don't drop someone else's marble.  That's bad juju.  Develop a sense of who you are talking to - and who knows more and has more accurate info to share.  Beware hype.  Know when you are being hyped.

Some of the rooms will stay open quite late.  Much to be learned late.  Most of the show is 'over' behind the scenes before the show day begins.

Have fun!

😉Solid advice!!! Just coming from a show not in a hotel (I spent a lot of time with the sellers and other marble collectors) asked a million questions, listened to stories and got answers on some of my burning questions about marbles I had... 

So that would be my only add if you have questions write them down or bring the marbles in question and a black light flashlight :)

oh and many people have cards for contact in the future .. def snag them if they have it. It's great to stay in contact ☺️

thanks for asking I hope to go to other shows myself so the advice was heard over here too 🥸

• Like 1

If you have marbles that need to be ID'd, bring them and have them separated in "whatever" so you can make small notes on paper to put with the marble so you don't forget the ID.  Memory is funny, especially when the marbles look similar.  Same thing for ones that you buy.  You can also take pictures of marbles for your future reference and learning.

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2023 at 9:40 PM, Alan said:

Have fun!

Is there usually a grading service offered at the shows?

3 hours ago, Newton said:

Is there usually a grading service offered at the shows?

Dealers would likely agree to grade a marble for you.  I suggest that you ask anyone why grades a marble for you "Why?" it is graded as such.  Older, more experienced dealers are likely to be of the most help in this age where seemingly everything is vastly over-graded.

The whole purpose of course if for you to learn to accurately grade for yourself.  "Teach a man to fish".

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2023 at 9:24 AM, Alan said:

Dealers would likely agree to grade a marble for you.  I suggest that you ask anyone why grades a marble for you "Why?" it is graded as such.  Older, more experienced dealers are likely to be of the most help in this age where seemingly everything is vastly over-graded.

The whole purpose of course if for you to learn to accurately grade for yourself.  "Teach a man to fish".

On 9/28/2023 at 4:58 PM, Al Oregon said:

If you have marbles that need to be ID'd, bring them and have them separated in "whatever" so you can make small notes on paper to put with the marble so you don't forget the ID.  Memory is funny, especially when the marbles look similar.  Same thing for ones that you buy.  You can also take pictures of marbles for your future reference and learning.

Note paper is a good idea!  I had planned to bring pre-labeled plastic boxes to put any new marbles I may get.  But in asking questions I might learn things about a particular marble other than the maker.  

On 9/27/2023 at 9:23 PM, Tommy said:

Everyone is awesome at these events.  In room trading is where you display the mibs ya want to sell or trade .….

It is possible.  I bring some of the plastic boxes (and so do a few others) but I won't be at this show.  Also, there are usually a few of the wooden "show-off" boxes that people make and sell or are getting rid of theirs.  By the way, collectors do use the small 2x2 or 2x3&1/2 plastic bags to keep their marbles in with tags or notes on ID's, etc.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the help and replies… now for the last question.  I have about about 30 marbles I’d like to take to the marble show and get help with I.D.’s and talk about to the dealers and other collectors. 

Separate from those, I also have a lot of not very interesting/common types and want to know if there is ANY REASON to take them, or have them available in my room just in case they might be someone’s cup of tea?  Since I’m a marble show newbie I just have no idea. 

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_1482.jpeg

IMG_1481.jpeg

IMG_1480.jpeg

IMG_1479.jpeg

IMG_1478.jpeg

IMG_1476.jpeg

IMG_1477.jpeg

• Like 1

Alan is right, look for the doors open or cracked after the dinner rush. Those are where you'll learn. Usually some long-timers will be in there telling stories or trying to figure out a mystery marble or something like that. Ask some questions and mostly just listen. There is always something to be learned, no matter how long you've collected. Definitely bring the bright light and extra batteries in your pocket. A small pocket notepad and pencil are useful to keep notes before you get off on another topic and forget. I was unsure about walking around in a hotel going to other people's rooms the first time I attended one but that apprehension disappeared immediately. What fun the shows are, we just had the Old South show in Valdosta and we had such a good time. Find a crowd with dinner plans and go with them, you will have a blast!

382587825_7055652427780390_4627091743680420168_n.jpg

• Like 1