My Precious! Nooooooo!

bumblebee

So my girlfriend decided to go on a late-night cleaning spree, and, without my permission, tackled my dusty 6-ft marble temple shelves.

All of you know what that means, and you're probably thinking the worse, and the worse is what happened: she somehow dropped or knocked off (from what height I know not) my most valuable brag box, which is sealed with a magnet, and which is still missing six marbles this morning. I presume they all fell out and she just put back the ones she could find.

To find mint bricks and tri-color CACs floating around on the hard floor or lower wooden shelves feels as bad as you all can imagine.

My mint Akro Royal with heavy aventurine is still missing, probably under the shelf on the floor.

I refuse to take out a loupe and examine them. What's the point? They're each unique and irreplaceable, and I wouldn't sell them for five times their market worth.

An obvious lesson here is ensure people in your life realize how fragile and important your marbles are so they see the DO NOT TOUCH sign.

But for me the bigger lesson is that ultimately we all must let go of everything precious in this life when we leap into the unknown country. Little incidents like this can help us practice that shrug of letting go.

When my time comes to be knocked off this mortal shelf, I hope that wherever I end up, someone or something discovers me in the darkness, shines their light on me, and finds me precious enough to be worthy of a seat in some divine--and much more secure--brag box. 😀

6f7962bbaa7a63ef32a4fbd7ba92c04d.jpg

• Sad 2

Sorry about your mishap. There are always lessons to be had. Glad you recognized one and stated it so well here.

Quite a few years ago Bill McCaleb was carrying a tray of about 120 high dollar Alleys. He caught his foot on a step and flung them all over the kitchen. They were in the sink, down register grates, even on top of the kitchen cabinets.  Fortunately, most of the ones we recovered were undamaged but we were still finding them months later - they really went everywhere. It was a comical episode and Bill was unhurt so we were both chuckling when he got up off the floor, looked at me and said, "they're only marbles". We laughed about it for years and years.

• Haha 3

Things like this remind us that we are but temporary caretakers of such things.  And then they will some day move to new homes - hopefully some of them will cherish them for more than their dollar worth.  In the end, glass will outlast us all.

• Like 3
  • Award 1

41 minutes ago, Alan said:

Things like this remind us that we are but temporary caretakers of such things.  And then they will some day move to new homes - hopefully some of them will cherish them for more than their dollar worth.  In the end, glass will outlast us all.

Great point. Many of those mint marbles have already outlasted their original owners. They're just on loan to us.

• Like 2
  • Award 1

2 hours ago, bumblebee said:

But for me the bigger lesson is that ultimately we all must let go of everything precious in this life when we leap into the unknown country. Little incidents like this can help us practice that shrug of letting go.

When I read this, I thought it was going to lead to "bye, bye girlfriend"

• Haha 1

How ironic. I just told Ric a story similar to yours as well as his. My Granddaughter is learning the difference between common and HTF marbles and what those are worth. I was showing her a mint marble last weekend. She was holding it up to the sun and her little dog named Chewy jumped into her lap. The marble went doink, doink, doink, doink, doink, and then rolled across the floor. OUCH ! It now has 8 moons. I immediately told her not to worry. It's just a marble. 🔥

RAR

• Like 2