What is this?

Olddude

Hey folks, you've been great at helping this newbie; hoping you'll indulge another ID query.ย 

I've looked online at a lot of articles and pics, and I'm not sure. .. .

Any opinions are bound to be better than mine. ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks.

ย 

P9222217.JPG

P9222216.JPG

P9222218.JPG

P9222219.JPG

• Wow 1

On 9/23/2024 at 9:48 PM, cheese said:

What size is it? I think it's Alley or Ravenswood. In pic #3, if you could show the area right at 12:00 a little better it might help determine the maker.

Sorry for the delay responding - I had some, ah, "technical problems" this week and no online access.

Without calipers, I'd say it's roughly .6 " Here's a couple more shots; is this what you had in mind?

ย 

P9252221.JPG

P9252222.JPG

On 9/23/2024 at 2:18 PM, akroorka said:

I am not sure either but William is as close as it gets as far as I am concerned--

@cheeseย will have my final evaluation here. (It may be an Alley).

Nice find --nice marble!!

Marble--On!!

thx. It actually is a "find"; it was under a 1920's - era house I was working on. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 1

Alley, Heaton, Ravenswood...Swirls can be tough to ID sometimes. Would like to hear more about how you found it for sure. Either way, to echo Art's comment, Great find indeed!

Chuck should be able to nail it down for ya with the additional pics...

6 hours ago, William said:

Alley, Heaton, Ravenswood...Swirls can be tough to ID sometimes. Would like to hear more about how you found it for sure. Either way, to echo Art's comment, Great find indeed!

Chuck should be able to nail it down for ya with the additional pics...

I've worked in construction for years. Can't remember exactly when this was, but the job was an old hillside home that had an ancient foundation that had failed, and was sinking into the dirt. we were excavating select areas to pour the new foundation and get the dirt away from the bottom of the house. I found quite a few interesting things on that job, like a few rim-fire large caliber bullet casings, a "Ball" canning jar without the threads for a screw top - just a smooth rim, and a sterling silver teaspoon. And this marble, too. Actually, I think the house was more from 1900 - 1910 now that I think about it. Old, anyway.

12 hours ago, Olddude said:

I've worked in construction for years. Can't remember exactly when this was, but the job was an old hillside home that had an ancient foundation that had failed, and was sinking into the dirt. we were excavating select areas to pour the new foundation and get the dirt away from the bottom of the house. I found quite a few interesting things on that job, like a few rim-fire large caliber bullet casings, a "Ball" canning jar without the threads for a screw top - just a smooth rim, and a sterling silver teaspoon. And this marble, too. Actually, I think the house was more from 1900 - 1910 now that I think about it. Old, anyway.

Love it.ย 

One of my hobbies is going on digs at old abandoned farmhouses. The stuff One discovers is sometimes pretty amazing. I Live in Southern Minnesota so if one looks in the right places in Tri-state area they can be found.ย 

I actually have a thread in the Lounge titled "Iowa Digs" you might have fun checking out.

Oh, and as far as your marble is concerned, after the additional pictures, I am now thinkingย  a strong Ravenswood as well,ย  With a small chance of Heaton.

Definitely a keeper like I said, simply based on the memories aloneย 

Be Cool

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

On 9/27/2024 at 8:11 AM, William said:

Love it.ย 

One of my hobbies is going on digs at old abandoned farmhouses. The stuff One discovers is sometimes pretty amazing. I Live in Southern Minnesota so if one looks in the right places in Tri-state area they can be found.ย 

I actually have a thread in the Lounge titled "Iowa Digs" you might have fun checking out.

Oh, and as far as your marble is concerned, after the additional pictures, I am now thinkingย  a strong Ravenswood as well,ย  With a small chance of Heaton.

Definitely a keeper like I said, simply based on the memories aloneย 

Be Cool

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

that sounds like a fun hobby for sure. I'm here in CA in the SF Bay area, so "old" is less old than where you are but there's still things to be found. In my work, I've had the chance to discover quite a few things. I'll check out your Iowa Digs.

As for the marble: it's sounding like there's no way to tell for sure, huh?

It's still fun to find out the possibilities. . . ๐Ÿ™‚

On 9/29/2024 at 1:47 AM, cheese said:

I'm with RW.

Thanks. Most votes here agree with you.

I found a few discussions about Ravenswood; none of the posted pictures or common color descriptions correspond to this marble, but the pattern does for sure agree.