Handmades Vs Machine Mades

JVVmarbles

Greetings! I've not posted here for some time, but checked the topics almost daily...and I noticed that almost all the topics are about machine mades and most of you collect machine mades. I really wonder why you prefer machine mades over handmades! I only collect antique German handmade marbles (I've got 1000's of old machine mades but they are in boxes) and I personally don't understand why anyone can prefer machine mades over these handmade beauties. The design/craftmanship/colors/age etc are much better in handmades (my opinion). Can some of you explain to me why they like machine mades better?

and couldn't there be a seperate marble discussion part for handmade collectors?

I'll take a stab at this, please remember it is just my opinion. Certainly not to be taken as gospel.

My thinking is that most of us collect what we know. As kids we played with the machine mades and that is what we know.

I can say with certainty if there were any hand mades around I was never allowed to play with them.

I don't know them, never have and probably never will. I just dont have any memories of playing with them. I dont even remember seeing any placed in the knick knack shelves at any of my aunt's house's that I could see or hold.

It's a nostalgia thing with me, trying to go back to my childhood. One of these days I'll make it. LOL!!!!

Guest marbleus1

I think most of us collect both. Why the preferance is hard to say. I think that childhood games may be a factor.

Good to see you back.

David

edit: Bo's a purty smart fella!

I'm SO glad to see you back, J!!! :)

My first love will always be handmades.... As a very early collector (late 1960's) collecting machine mades was unheard of!! We (The little knot of "regulars" that ran into each other at antiques shows, markets and auctions...) actually got quite a chuckle out of the folks who were beginning to sift through piles of machine made marbles.... But, the joke was on us!!!

The idea that being able to ID a machine made marble by color and design was just beyond us...

I've developed a liking for machine mades... But, it's just not quite the same as my love of handmades... There are certain styles that "sing" to me.... Corkscrews come to mind... Primarily, snakes, augers and tightly wound corks in great colors..... Could it be because they are pretty close to handmades in design?? Maybe.... OK, I really like the Euro cat's eyes, too.... Same thing!!

I don't own a Guinea and could care less... I think they're pretty ugly....

My second love seems to becoming contemporaries.... It never ceases to amaze me how many ideas can be placed inside of a glass ball!!! But, these folks manage to keep it fresh....

Not only are we able to love the marbles, but the association with their makers is awesome, too!!!

I think the original switch over from handmade collecting to machine made collecting may have been based largely on cost... Though, I'm sure that the nostalgia that Bo mentioned is a close call for that, too....

The collector gene has a large amount of "hunter" in it.... A lot of the thrill of collecting is in the finding...

My love for the hunt has grown very cold and tired with handmades.... They're pretty tough (though, not impossible) to find as diamonds in the rough.... The hunt for great machine mades is still very alive.... Making it a much more satisfying "sport."

I would bet that the quantity of "Wild Machine Mades" in Europe is quite different from the availability here in the US...... This may be why that bug hasn't bitten the European collectors in the same way that it's chewed on us???

Thanks for all your replies! I had some handmade swirls when I was young (and I'm from 1973!) and they always fascinated me the most....I always kept them and then started buying similar marbles when I was about 20 (didn't even know then they were antique and handmade!) at flea markets etc. Also handmades can still be found in my country (Holland) for very low prices (like a nice sulphide for only $1) so the problem with the extremely high prizes for handmades doesn't really count where I live.

Machine mades (made in Germany around 1920-1940) are much easier to find than hand mades here, but they are by far not as pretty as the handmades.

I understand why most of you collect machine mades a little more now! I'm looking forward to hearing more opinions!

I also believe machinemades get more posting because who is going to ask What is this and who made it about a German Handmade. It might be about that simple. Most of the discussions on German Handmades have been done. So other than look at my pretty marble Posts there is not a lot to be brought up about the German Handmades that hasn't been wtitten or talked about. IMHO. Peace,Galen

I also believe machinemades get more posting because who is going to ask What is this and who made it about a German Handmade. It might be about that simple. Most of the discussions on German Handmades have been done. So other than look at my pretty marble Posts there is not a lot to be brought up about the German Handmades that hasn't been wtitten or talked about. IMHO. Peace,Galen

I have to disagree with you on that one...very little is known about who made certain types of handmades (which Glashutte made which kind of swirl at what time). Much more is know about manufactures of machine mades. There is so much more research to be done on German handmades! Were certain glashutten only making certain kind of swirls? etc. and what about this: I think what you call 'Leighton transitionals' were actually the first German handmades made around 1840-1850. I've found several of those at archaeological digs in Europe from that age.

It's very interesting that every single person has different likes and dislikes.

When I started collecting marbles, it was because I was doing paintings of the game of marbles that children played, when I was young and in elememtary school. (My Mother gave my Brother the family marbles and they are no where to be found :( We think that his wife sold them in a garage sale.)

So, I began using some marbles that my husband had kept = to do paintings of.

Because of that I needed to use machine made marbles as models.

These paintings led to being quite popular. I needed more marbles of different styles and colors than what my husband had kept. He also had a couple of old handmade marbles but I was more interested in the machine made marbles. (We still have the marbles that he had.)

And it wasn't because marbles were inexpensive at the time. I was teased for buying machine mades at the first Columbus, OH show that I attended.

There was so much to learn about the machine made marbles that I decided to concentrate on them, still do. (I can still enjoy my collection but can no longer do the paintings.)

My paintings of the game of marbles brought several nice local and National sales and awards. Even an article in the, AMERICAN ARTIST, magazine, in March of 1993.

My budget wouldn't support collecting both old hand mades and machine mades although I have owned some handmades and still have a few, that simply is not where my yearnings to collect, lie.

There are vast types and styles of machine made marbles. I like the new ones being made also,

They are beautiful!

I have a few comtemporary, handmade, marbles, each one is special because I have met or know, the makers of them.

Marble collectors might be, "birds of a feather", however, there seem to be many different types of birds that come to the feeder.

It's very interesting that every single person has different likes and dislikes.

When I started collecting marbles, it was because I was doing paintings of the game of marbles that children played, when I was young and in elememtary school. (My Mother gave my Brother the family marbles and they are no where to be found :( We think that his wife sold them in a garage sale.)

So, I began using some marbles that my husband had kept = to do paintings of.

Because of that I needed to use machine made marbles as models.

These paintings led to being quite popular. I needed more marbles of different styles and colors than what my husband had kept. He also had a couple of old handmade marbles but I was more interested in the machine made marbles. (We still have the marbles that he had.)

And it wasn't because marbles were inexpensive at the time. I was teased for buying machine mades at the first Columbus, OH show that I attended.

There was so much to learn about the machine made marbles that I decided to concentrate on them, still do. (I can still enjoy my collection but can no longer do the paintings.)

My paintings of the game of marbles brought several nice local and National sales and awards. Even an article in the, AMERICAN ARTIST, magazine, in March of 1993.

My budget wouldn't support collecting both old hand mades and machine mades although I have owned some handmades and still have a few, that simply is not where my yearnings to collect, lie.

There are vast types and styles of machine made marbles. I like the new ones being made also,

They are beautiful!

I have a few comtemporary, handmade, marbles, each one is special because I have met or know, the makers of them.

Marble collectors might be, "birds of a feather", however, there seem to be many different types of birds that come to the feeder.

Can you show me some of pics of those marble paintings? I'd love to see them!

I am a newbie! The first marble to pique my interest in collecting was a huge European Handmade from my exhusband's deceased father. My cuiosity got me and I checked out Ebay to see what they had in the way of marbles... Whoa!! I was surprized and got HOOKED!!

From what I see from this perspective as a new collector is American collectors wanting to preserve and learn the history/heritage behind American made marbles which just happen to be machine made instead of handmade. The different companies from the past offered differnt constructions, colors using their own styles and techniques at different time periods.. a huge variety to satisfy the tastes for everyone. As for me playing marbles as a kid?? ... not warm fuzzy memories on that... my older brother used to badger... BULLY me into playing different games including marbles and he would beat my butt and later gloat about it. LOL (now)! JV.. you are from Europe where the wonderful handmades were produced as an art form.. of course you would collect/study them to preserve your marble cullture. Welcome back!!

Kris

Here is a quick scan of one of my little paintings = that we still have.

The NFWS was for Niagra Falls Watercolor Society, which I was a signature member at that time.

It will take awhile to find photo's or post the article.

This is a little smaller than actual size of the painting.

1pic.jpg

I've liked handmades since the first one I won in a marble game.

One of the big appeals (for me) is how remarkable some of the intricate balanced patterns are that got turned out by hand, with basic tools, and not "mass produced" by machine. Yes I know some of the glass huts DID crank them out in great numbers but that makes it even cooler that they could make so many with the technology available at that time.

As much as some machine-made fans claim to dislike "the name game", that's one of the topics that gets the most discussions on the board. Everybody likes controversy and let's face it, narrowing down which glass house made which handmade isn't nearly as interesting or controversial for some.

IMHO I think most "nice" machine-mades are more of a quirk than anything... but don't get me wrong I've seen plenty of really beautiful machine mades with cool patterns and colors that would be impossible to make by hand.

Different strokes for different folks... it's like comparing apples to oranges but as long as you like fruit, all's good.

Sure would love to see some factual information on the different German machine mades, Times, companies, ect. So far 95% of our info has been guesses. If you can find some facts we need them. Like you, I believe a lot of the German machinemades were late 20s early 30s. Although with the great depression in Germany prewar I doubt they were making machinemades for long. And with the occupation of East germany after the war I can't imagine them making many marbles in Soviet run East Germany. heck 15 years ago East Germany was still full of bomb craters and damaged buidings from WWII. I do know many of the striped transparent type slags were dug at the glashutes that made handmades putting at least those types at an early date. With the great records the Germans kept on everything you would think we could get some factual information. Peace,Galen

Just a guess, but no one has brought it up.......wouldn't the increase of collectors in the last 10-15 years have something to do with some of them turning to the machine mades as cheaper and more plentiful at the time. And hasn't the expansion of the genre had something to do with the overabundance of dug handmades flooding the market lately?....what do you think about that?

pax Jon

Since we are on the subject of most favorite handmades now, i thought I would share a few of mine.

oooooooooooh! VERY VERY NICE!!!!

Here are some more of mine:

blizzard3klein.jpg

2-1/8" blizzard mica onion

clown_cloud.jpg

1-3/8" single pontil clown cloud

Rare012.JPG

5/8" 2 color single ribbon

indianlutz.jpg

1" indian Lutz

millefiori1.JPG

1-3/8" paperweight millefiori marble

Well JVV nothing can beat that clown, gotta love it! The funny thing is is that these are just a few examples of the most awesome handmades out there and nothing can take awy from their true craftsmanship......

P.S. Anytime you need a safe hiding place for that clown JV just let me know, because I have a great spot in my collection for it....

Well JVV nothing can beat that clown, gotta love it! The funny thing is is that these are just a few examples of the most awesome handmades out there and nothing can take awy from their true craftsmanship......

P.S. Anytime you need a safe hiding place for that clown JV just let me know, because I have a great spot in my collection for it....

yeah, that clown is one of my absolute faves...I've never seen another one like it. Such bright and bold colors and the side opposite the pontil is completely covered with dots as well (so most likely not an end of cane, but an individually made marble). It even has some slight lobing too (4 lobes). If I ever want to part with it, I'll let you know!

Here's another pic:

clown.jpg