Cilantro

kbobam

I just clipped this part of a web encyclopedia's description of the stuff.

Different people may perceive the taste of coriander leaves differently. Those who enjoy it say it has a refreshing, lemony or lime-like flavor, while those who dislike it have a strong aversion to its taste and smell, likening it to that of soap and bugs.[15][22] Twin studies have shown that 80% of identical twins shared the same preference for the herb, but fraternal twins agreed only about half the time, strongly suggesting a genetic component to the preference. In a genetic survey of nearly 30,000 people, two genetic variants linked to perception of coriander have been found, the most common of which is a gene involved in sensing smells.[23] The gene, OR6A2, lies within a cluster of olfactory-receptor genes, and encodes a receptor that is highly sensitive to aldehyde chemicals. Flavor chemists have found that the coriander aroma is created by a half-dozen or so substances, and most of these are aldehydes. Those who dislike the taste are sensitive to the offending unsaturated aldehydes, while simultaneously may also be unable to detect the aromatic chemicals that others find pleasant.[24] Association between its taste and several other genes, including a bitter-taste receptor, have also been found.[25]

Thought the first sentence was interesting. And possibly an understatement.

Have come to realize that some people are almost violent in their dislike for the stuff.

(Please disregard changes in fonts here. The computer is going nuts.)

I personally love the stuff and can't get enough of it. But it definitely seems

like one of those things which should be avoided in a 'main course' for guests.

Good Scotch is a similar product. Guess which side I'm on with that one! ( :

I don't know about that particular genetic disposition, Galen, but I have the same reaction to apple skins. Oddly, I once had a horse who felt the same. Give him an unpeeled apple or piece of unpeeled apple and he would spit it out and commence doing funny things with his tongue. But he loved peeled apples.

I dislike cilantro and am really tired of seeing it added as an ingredient in everything.

Cilantro is heavenly for me.

And I used to skip school to go buy apples. Crunching into an apple is one of my favoritest things to do -- I don't do it often enough. .... so I guess I must not have that particular gene.

Ann I think it is about a one in four thingy with how some folks bitter detectors work. Gin also always disgusted me? It was long ago in College I read the study about the taste bud thingy.

YEEEHAAAAAAA!!!!! my brain still works, look what I found http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/inheritance/ptc/

Yeah, that's pretty cool!

Never heard of the apple skin 'thing' until you mentioned it.

Or of the 'bitter receptor'. It does all sound related.

This whole thing got me wondering about a particular situation.

I'd like to hear if anyone has any most and/or least favorite things

to eat. But , it has to be something that almost everyone you

know feels the exact opposite about. ( :

That's a good one.

Cooked spinach is pretty repulsive to me.

But it's great on a funky white pizza, where the limited cooking doesn't ruin it.

Also terrific raw in a healthy salad!

I should mention for the record that my 'healthy salads' involve mass quantities of

thousand island dressing, crumbled cheese, and real bacon bits. :P

I agree, don't like cooked spinach at all, but I think it's more of a texture thing for me.

I love raw spinach.

One thing that everyone (all my female friends anyway) seem to love is the smell of cucumber soaps or lotions. I never have, it smells bitter to me.

I love cucumbers, but don't think the "perfumed" cucumber smells or tastes anything like the real thing.

So it's definitely looking like cooked spinach is a no-no at dinner parties.

I mean, why serve something which at best will have a 50% success rate?

Was glad to see I wasn't alone in making the raw/cooked distinction.

Feel the same way about carrots. CarrotDance_zpsvkasby5j.gif

Hated cooked spinach as a child. I can choke it down now -- more easily if it has balsamic vinegar sprinkled on it. I don't relish it raw, but I'll eat it in a salad that has a bunch of other stuff in it too.

I never liked cooked carrots until an Austrian friend made me "Carrots Esterhaus" one Thanksgiving. You start with equal fairly large piles (in volume) of chopped onions and coin-sliced carrots. Cook them in chicken broth until nearly all of the chicken broth is gone. Throw in some sweet (unsalted) butter and sauté the carrots and what's left of the onions until they look sautéed, which should be about the time you want to eat. Stir in a bunch of SOUR CREAM and serve.

I have been a cooked carrot convert ever since.

Oh geesh. That doesn't sound too bad.

But I can't be certain.

You can put all the marshmallow glop in the world on sweet potatoes, and I still hate them.

I don't bother with peeling raw carrots anymore, mostly out of laziness. They seem fine either way.

On a separate note, my father once voiced his opinion that "It isn't even really a pizza without anchovies".

I wasn't having any of it at the time, but I sort of agree with him now. Just can't find anyone to eat one with. ( :