Fake Pelt Comics

Whoa, yeah Mark, that bid history is a beaut. (edit: oops, sorry, Craig!)

Bill, look at the blue. It's the most obvious MK structure - modern Rainbow style not Peerless patch. Blue patch on either end.

289460585_tp.jpg

Here's a comparison of the images. The Skeezix is a better copy than the Sandy. Of course it's still fake.

ReproVsReal.jpg

by that way, anyone here familiar with a peerless patch with a yellow patch like that?

The color of the patch is wrong. The color is muted in a MK example compared to a Pelt example. The pic is wrong. Steph got it right in comparison of the pic style. I like Edna saw these when I first started about 10 years ago examples in hand. You can feel the print. But you cant feel the pic lol. The size being 3/4 is also a give away. Vegas is still up in air. Although work has approved my time off during that time. Clyde

The question was asked, "Why so many people bidding on this?" Simple. Amongst the greater antiques & collectibles public(including antique dealers) while there is considerable ignorance regarding the arcana of marbles almost all of them have heard of Sulphides, Comic Marbles, Popeyes, etc. So when some misguided soul with a decent track record(What was that? 98.5%) provides a description with only a sketchy qualification(the ? after Peltier) minds run wild. Hey Clyde, bummer about the plane snafu. I'd be interested in hearing how this eBay sale progresses. Anyone yet advised the seller about his reproduction Comic? David Chamberlain

The question was asked, "Why so many people bidding on this?" Simple.

fwiw, the question I saw wasn't why were there so many bidders. It was why were there so many bids.

There was something suspicious in the bids. There appear to have been 5 people or fewer bidding on the two auctions. That is, there were 5 distinct ebay accounts involved. One of the bidders placed almost 100 bids total, pushing the bids up, up, up. That CAN be an innocent bidder uncertain of how high they want to go and doing it in increments. However, it's still disconcerting.

Here's a comparison of the images. The Skeezix is a better copy than the Sandy. Of course it's still fake.

by that way, anyone here familiar with a peerless patch with a yellow patch like that?

great comparisons - thanks for the tips. As you can probably gather - I don't have any of these in my collection yet...so now I will know better what to look for when I decide to get them - thanks!

Unfortunately, either way, # of bids or # of bidders the result(s) were the same, a mad scramble to buy that which wasn't what it was purported to be.

Re. Bennett's comics: Actually they were rather charming in their thoroughly different illustrated box. Bennett even garnered himself a small corner in the field of marble collecting. And the size of the marbles pretty much made them patently obvious to anyone with a smidgen of marble knowledge. Unfortunately ignorance prevails! None of us are immune to it. Marbles are a real cipher. David