Wash Out Marbles

duffy

That second one is fabulous!

Can you explain a bit more about this 'wash out'? I think it would be way kewl if folks were able to get an example of one of those..they sure are different!

Thanx for sharing and have a great day!

:-) Felicia

Those are fabulous Burt, just look at the rich, deep colors! I seriously think these tank/wash out marbles are fabulous! They just have that 'specialness' about them. I got purple AND pink..woo hooo...I love'em all!

It is very pretty ziggyzora. I've been wanting one with pink for a while.

Oh, That would be fantastic if duffy has one there. You will see just how much better it looks than by a picture.

The kewl thing I have noticed about some of these, it's like you have this color/design on the surface and then it dives into the center and comes out the other side..awesome effect!

Have a great day!

Here ya go ziggyzora (it's actually more of a tangerine color behind the pink):

Pink.jpg

Nice thanks! What is really special about the other is the vibrancy of the pink and red you can see in that pic. Didn't make it to the show, way too far for me and probably out of budget too, loved all the pics though!

I'm trying to get this straight in my head...

There was a Joker run then a wash, then an Encore run then a wash, all in April?

Where does Duffy's speckled ones come from?

And, did both wash-outs have glittery/sparkley stuff?

Thanx for the help and have a great day!

The tank wash outs are done before each special run. It is to wash or clean the tank of the majority of glass that was being run prior to the special run. Before the special runs,many times the same tank is being used to make industrial marbles. The special runs with so much money involved is different than industrial marble glass,may be color or better quality glass. The tank needs washed or cleaned and then set with the new base glass for the special run. Then after it is set with the new glass it has to cook a while before the run begins. A marble factory is a 24 hr. continueous operation. It is to expensive and time consuming to shut the heat off of a tank once it is in operation,unless it is going to remain down for a long period.

Duffy's speckled ones,this may be the ones with gold lutz or colored glass speckled ones. If they are the normal or smaller size,not the 3/4 inch,then they are from the tank washes before the recent special runs. With the gold lutz ones sometimes it may be on the inside of the marble. If so,then the goldstone was added to the glass inside the tank. The gold may sometimes be on the out side of the marble. If so then it was added to the glass stream as it exited the tank before it got to the shears. The colored speckled glass is called fritt. Colored glass is crushed into small pieces to make fritt and can be added to the glass inside the tank or sometimes again added to the glass stream as it exits the tank before it reaches the shears.

There are different methods of adding glass and indgrediants to the inside of the tank. There are different methods of adding colored glass or gold and other things to the stream exit the tank,before it reaches the shears.

The marble named Duffy's gold,a 3/4 inch marble from the Tribute to Friendship run has some of the special things like aventurine and gold added to the inside and (Steve) Duffy was blowing gold also on the outside of the glass stream before it got to the shears. For the Edith Irene marble of the Tribute to Friendship run,the main colors were in the tank and some in the crucibles. Plus Ed Parsons was adding a orange colored rod in the glass stream before it got to the shears. At the same time, i was adding a pink rod into the stream before it got to the shears. Plus many of these also have gold lutz on the outside as Duffy was blowing the gold on the outside of the stream before it got to the shears.

It is not easy to explain the details of making machine made marbles. There is lots of variables,different methods,equipment, to many to list. These are not in any book,but in a marble makers head,from years of experience.

This is why any of these special runs have been a education for many or all of the people present for the run. The final end product is not the only benefit from all these special runs.

Thank you Duffy and Wvrons for the information.

Wow, there sure is a lot involved, even for a wash. I had to read a few times just to kind of 'catch a clue'.

So, with this latest wash and the experimenting that went on with it, it looks like some very amazingly colorful and creative designs came along. Will these experiments, which look quite successful, be used for further runs?

I find them all unique and fascinating, perhaps part of that goes with what I had read about Jabo's and no two are alike. I think what is intriguing about most of these are that you can see what's going on inside and outside, which is really really intense to me. It's like a whole new world of marbles.

I understand that it is better to see the process to get the full effect and that includes the friendships forged through these runs. It's all truly fantastic!

Thanx again and have a blessed day!

Hey guys! Those first one's are super cool! When were these colored fritt ones made? They could almost be guinea's! well, maybe or maybe not, but they are still super cool! How many were made? and the most important question, how do I get one? lol If someone would be willing to swap for one, I have many nice mibs from the Friendship run. **sidenote: I have to send some mibs from the friendship run out this week to some great people. Sorry for the delay guys. **

God Bless!

ZZ, I think that's not likely.

Most tank wash mibs probably weren't guinea-like. The frit is incidental to the true purpose of the process. Just a little something extra from what I gather, and done on a very limited basis.

If you have that one sitting in England, I think we can quite safely conclude it was made as an intentional frit mib for regular production and not by Jabo.

my $.02