See What Leroy Did.

bermar

Some of you said, "Yep, do it" and others said, "Nope".

All good points of view.

I think Leroy did a great job and I think it was the

right decision.

What do you think?

Oh, I didn't see the ghost core until today.

It's polished size is just a hair under 1 1/2".

THANK YOU, LEROY.

Burt

post-254-126005336061_thumb.jpg

Wow, that is just super fine! I don't know if it's just a finger print where the flash is, but I found something that works great for an extra fine polish/buff. some will laugh, but I'll stake my life on it. My wife bought a product for her legs, and didn't like it. I tried it on a mib of mine that just needed a fine polish and wow, it does the trick. Oh, the product is smooth-away. And it does one heck of a job without taking off more than a micron of glass. Terrific stuff. Although I wouldn't reccomend doing any sort of dry polishing without using a professional grade respirator. God Bless

Looks good.I was "on the fence" with that one.

How big did the ends open up?

Thats the only thing "I" dont care for,when polishing handmades.Some times the structure inside the marble,is just right,and there is only a small "window",where the pontils used to be.

If you ever get a monster sized onionskin,thats hammered,you can get a realy unique marble out of it.Many times,there is an inner core,with color,that you can reveal,by taking off,all of the outer color.

Griff

On this style of banded lutz the stripping rarely goes all the way to the top. The reconditioning did not open the ends any further as they were already open nor were the stripping' shortened. I love to work on these because they are so beautiful and rare. Thanks Burt for letting me work on it. ----Leroy----

I like the marble more now than before. I understand the argument of basically removing some of the history of the marble by polishing it so drastically, but really... these aren't coins... they are works of art and as far as I'm concerned they look much better when they look original and new. I look at cleaning/polishing these as acceptable much like an old painting is restored professionally in order to display in a museum. Why should these be any different if they've been restored? Is it because the paintings are one of a kinds that it makes it acceptable to have someone remove the years of dirt and grime and repair damage? Or is it because they are worth in upwards of millions of dollars?

In any event that marble looks stunning! I would have done the same thing. If you arent selling it and are happy with it then I think you already know if you made the right decision or not.

I think there's a point where a little damage is OK, in order to keep the integrity of the original surface and the pontils... But, once the damage has stepped over the line of making the marble look bad, no matter how you look at it, then there's no longer much point of saving that integity... It's already ruined!!

In this case, it woulda been an easy call for me!!

Awesome work, Leroy!!! :D

Very well put Sue and I believe that there's nothing wrong in starting a "new history and integrity" with a marble that is badly hurt. 100-200 years from now it could mean a lot to some person looking for marbles and as it has been pointed out by some of the Marble people that know marbles, they might be able to buy it for a lot less than one that hadn't been restored, but at least the marble had been saved instead of lost forever. Of course I'm biased because I like pretty marbles even if they have been restored and it makes me sad seeing what could be a beautiful marble all beat up ----Leroy----

:cool-smileys-262: Polishing is not the worse thing that could happen to a marble in it's life. Leroy did a great job! Maybe you can bring it to Sistersville, to show me his work. :music-rocker-001: I have always felt that when a marble is dead due to it's condition it is the only human thing to do, give it a face lift and CPR, :party-243: Like magic it is back to enjoy life and it has more time to bring joy to us humans who love marbles. :P I may be putting my foot in my mouth, so if this offends anyone, don't hack me to death over it :fighting-547:

I feel that the only people who fight the thought of marbles being "restored" are the folks that have a huge investment in marbles to sell for profits. Having a hot looking mib that was restored for $50 compared to an original for $200 tends to pull collectors to the $50 range. It is also what people can afford, people collect for so many different reasons that being original sometimes falls to the way side.

I have so many people, people who that have been in marbles for years make mistakes if a marble is polished or not. So, who is the marble god to make the final decision on the life of a marble? Maybe we need a pit somewhere that everyone who has old chipped mibs can send them to be burned and buried so there are only original surface marbles in the world :rolleye-842:

Let restored marbles free! Let them roam the world again, and see light of day.

SNYD

I feel that the only people who fight the thought of marbles being "restored" are the folks that have a huge investment in marbles to sell for profits.

OK, now I'm gonna jump the fence to the other side....

I disagree... I don't think anyone who has a large investment needs to worry about restored marbles... The restoration, in itself, is a part of it's history and will reflect in it's value. It will never compete with an all original...

Just as it was suggested that it's OK to refinish or restore cars, toys, furniture, etc...

Sure!! It's OK to restore a marble... The fine line comes along when a marble that has only minor damage goes to be restored, because the owner wants it PERFECT... That's where the trouble always ends up... There are people who feel strongly about doing it and there are people who feel strongly about NOT doing it...

In all of the above examples, a lightly damaged original finish will always have more value than a restored finish... How many times, on the Antique Road Show, has the appraiser said, "Well, it's beautiful. But, it would be worth double that if it hadn't been refinished."

A fabulous, fully restored 1954 Corvette on Barrett-Jackson will pull in HUGE money!!

HOWEVER.... The same car in original paint??? To the MOON, Alice!! To the MOON!!

So, this is where the battle lies... The people who will pay the "To The Moon" price, DO NOT want to see prime, lightly damaged examples restored. So, they fight it....

OTOH.... When that appraiser on the Antique Road Show makes that comment, he has no way of knowing the condition of the item BEFORE it was refinished...

Just as we look at the marble above... For years to come, it will get the comment, "Too bad it's been polished".... What that really should mean is... "Too bad that NEEDED to be polished."

I think most anyone who sees the "Before and After" will come to the conclusion that it was the best alternative.