Need A Kingfisher Photo

Kingfisher

Hey there Gene, don't leave us rookie's out! smile.gif lol Can you tell us a bit about the crow/kingfisher? who made it, timeframe, and why it's special? THanks Gene, just saw your post and thought it was intriguing. God Bless

Really amazes me you have never seen a crow/kingfisher... It is really one beauty of a marble... I would call it scarce to very rare finding one...

hey glangley and others

the "famous" or so crow/kingfisher marbles were all dug up about 3 years ago on one of the 2 big digs on the old akro property dig

several diggers bypassed them while looking for more $$$ marbles

i was lucky to get the ones i did

from one to another they have somewhat different patterns

anyhow there u go

info for the masses

steve

hey glangley and others

the "famous" or so crow/kingfisher marbles were all dug up about 3 years ago on one of the 2 big digs on the old akro property dig

several diggers bypassed them while looking for more $$$ marbles

i was lucky to get the ones i did

from one to another they have somewhat different patterns

anyhow there u go

info for the masses

steve

Thank-You for the input Steve... I have had my crows since at least 2005 and possibly earlier... I have possibly 6 or 8... Only 2 that are jewels... How sure are you that they didn't exist until 3 years ago... This is quite puzzeling to me...

Wow, that is something, what a looker, man that is goregous. It could even be a penquin! That is so cool! Is that base totally opaque or is it a bit translucent? What a picture. Thank you for that, and the information. So were these on the market at one time, or were these something that didn't get distributed much?

Here's a quick pic of mine for those who haven't seen one. Gene, I emailed several shots that I hope will suffice. I didn't measure it, but is shooter size.

Bob

akrokingfisher.jpg

Thank-You very much Bob... The photos were ferrific...

Another question here... I am seeing the Crow spelled two different ways...

Crow and Krow!!! Does anyone have any input here???

Wow, that is something, what a looker, man that is goregous. It could even be a penquin! That is so cool! Is that base totally opaque or is it a bit translucent? What a picture. Thank you for that, and the information. So were these on the market at one time, or were these something that didn't get distributed much?

I would say all 3 colors are slightly translucent...

The cantaloupe color being the base with a little white and even less black...

I am seeing the Crow spelled two different ways...

Crow and Krow!!! Does anyone have any input here???

I'm no expert here... But, I think it's just the variations of the play on words that Akro used in their logo, "Straight As A Kro Flies"

(So, I guess.... Technically, the w should be eliminated from the Krow? LOL)

not that it worth an argument

but here goes

i dont claim to know much in life about anything

but what i do have is a decent amount of akro know how

i have seen more dug marbles than 99.9% of everyone else

i have been so lucky to have been there at different times when jackpots were found

the brick holes, the slag holes, the sparkler vein, the thousands upon thousands of supermen that poured from the ground, the huge cork holes, the patch crater which by the way is still very full, glass ware by the piles, cullet chunks in three foot veins, more than most can imagine

but anyhow i am fairly sure that all the "crows" were dug out of the same hole that gave mostly orangish red marbles that some diggers called early flinties the same spot also gave some bricks and some uranium slaggy looking marbles

i was right there about 4 feet down getting mine those cold days a few years back

if anyone has any older ones i would love to know where they came from

not saying it is impossible but i never saw any until that time

steve

and not all had the bird head either.... but having collected akro for well over 20 years, I have to ask what is a tadpole?? never heard of it, and who came up with the name? can you post a picture of it please Gene?

I started my marble collecting in 2005 and the "Kingfisher" was one of my first marbles... It was quite some time later I heard it referred to as a "Kro" or "Krow" or "Crow"... After this post was started, I do think "Kro" is probably the most correct spelling...

I have 8 or 9 of those Mibs, only 2 with the long bill... The others do have a wisp of white with a black vein, but no bill...

and not all had the bird head either.... but having collected akro for well over 20 years, I have to ask what is a tadpole?? never heard of it, and who came up with the name? can you post a picture of it please Gene?

Give me a couple of days... Soon as I get my new lamps I will start adding photos...

The "Tadpole" had nothing to do with the "Kingfisher's"... It was simply another marble

I picked up... I purchased it as being an "Akro Tadpole"... Believe me, I am a real sap when

it comes to Akro's... I had never heard of a "Tadpole" prior to that... Photo's to follow in a couple

of days...

• 1 month later...

This is for Zaboo & Gangly and anyone else that is interested in my aka; "Tadpole"... I don't remember the gals name that I bought it from, but she described the marble as being an "Akro Egg Yolk Tadpole" that's all it took for me grab it up... I have never heard of a Tadpole prior to this, but new I wanted it what ever it was... These two photos are from the seller, I did not take them, but I do have the mib... The mib measures 3/4" Dia. mint+ cond... White lightly translucent base with yellow and a black Tadpole... The Tadpoles body is covering what I think is a pontil... A slight indent as made in the mib... Wire pull possibly??? At a real loss here "Gang" help me out...wacko.gif

post-2351-1265829260_thumb.jpgpost-2351-126582927284_thumb.jpg

Judging by the "tails," looks like it could be an accidental blob of burned aventurine . . . intended to be a green / yellow popeye or popeye patch, maybe? Cudda been a stunner . . . what a great "error" mib!

My favorite was an opaque oxblood that I bought from Brian Estepp and it had the perfect image of a whale, in fact, he sold it to me as a Whaler. I sold it as a Whaler to what's-his-name at Amana(Great Guy!) and we kid all the time about there being a full box of Akro Whalers somewhere; it just hasn't surfaced or been discovered yet. I've gotta lay that one on Roger one of these days. Wish I had a pic of the marble. David