Anyone Watching This One???

I don't think I could ever comfortably bid on something where the seller stresses the point that their are no gaurantee's or returns. It could be old, but what if it's not? Too much moolah to chance it for this poor rookie. lol

That scenic china marble is without a doubt FAKE!!!! A modern reproduction. I live close to Germany (in Holland) and I was told by several German antique dealers/ marble colletors that there's an old guy in Lauscha who digs up old plain china marbles and paints them like the old scenic chinas. He's getting a little better ;) his first few efforts were terrible.

Based on the pics and location, I'd also bet lunch that it's a fake...

He sure is getting better!! Good enough that I'd really love to see that one in hand.

I saved some pics of a questionable one that came up a while ago... Same guy??

post-3-126275798743_thumb.jpg

post-3-126275800518_thumb.jpg

post-3-126275801876_thumb.jpg

post-3-126275803332_thumb.jpg

post-3-126275804402_thumb.jpg

It's really too bad. Some of the painted marbles out there are really beautiful and would command a 'fair' price alone. But selling them without telling really could screw the rookie collectors out there and turn their stomaches against buying/collecting marbles. I suppose you should always live by(or buy) buyer beware, either way it just doesn't sit well in my crawl for them not to say exactly what they are selling. Could it be that the seller doesn't know exactly? I suppose. But it could also be true that they know exactly what they have and are just trying to get one over on the next person. Which is akin to stealing in my book.

Steve, I'm pretty sure the one you have and the one I pictured are the same guy... These both came up in a previous thread....

This new one is really quite different. I hate to seem naive, even though sometimes I can be... But, I still have a teeny shred of space left for the possibility that this could be real.

I strongly doubt it... But, I'm open to the possibility...

Another thing to factor in: The quality of photo when a high priced marble is listed. In this case, it doesn't appear that the camera wasn't able to take good pics, as much as perhaps the seller didn't want the lighting or focus to be too clear. Of course I don't know if it was a fake or an original, but the photos make me suspicious.

Ruth