Jabo News (This Just In)

Bocci

All I can say is, "Sa-weeet!" I hope they are making marbles for years and years to come. I would love to be able to take my daughter down there in a few years and let her have the experience that my wife and I enjoyed. Awesome news. Thank the good Lord that atleast a few Americans are still working. And I can't wait to see what Dave does next! :)

i'm startin to think marbles are less collectible than I used to think - way tooo many fakes, frauds and scammers in the market - especially of late - there is no longer a definite way to know what you are buying. Marbles are just too easlily reproduced by fakers to maintain their unique value as a collectors item.

I am seriously considering selling my collection - if anyone is interested....

Just like any antique and collectible area/arena it is necessary to stay on top of it all the time. Disillusionment comes from rip offs but they are often a minor and marginal aspect of the collecting field. If you truly love marbles these distractions shouldn't deter you. I do believe in proactively fighting back and exposing fraud. Unfortunately too many newbies in a whole host of collectibles fields get gored right out of the gate. Life can suck but I sure ain't letting it get in the way of my passion for marbles. David

Just like any antique and collectible area/arena it is necessary to stay on top of it all the time. Disillusionment comes from rip offs but they are often a minor and marginal aspect of the collecting field. If you truly love marbles these distractions shouldn't deter you. I do believe in proactively fighting back and exposing fraud. Unfortunately too many newbies in a whole host of collectibles fields get gored right out of the gate. Life can suck but I sure ain't letting it get in the way of my passion for marbles. David

What he said.

ann

i'm startin to think marbles are less collectible than I used to think - way tooo many fakes, frauds and scammers in the market

Yep... Basically, what David said... If you collect what you love and pay what you feel it's worth, there are no fakes!! It's only when values get involved that fraud issues come up.

I do understand your feeling... If I were out there buying expensive marbles for lots of money, I'd have a lot more to be worried about...

But, if you stay within your knowledge comfort zone and "hunt" wisely... And most of all... LOVE what you collect. It's tough to go wrong.

right on scoop!!..buyin marbles as an investment or with dollar signs in your eyes will surely put a bad taste in your mouth...i still like goin thru them boxes of dollar mibs and cruisin the antique stores and fleas...

Yeah I have had fun over the years collecting basics - never really dumped more than 150 bucks into any one marble - after all they are only a wad of glass.

Tried my damndest to get a MK watermellon - never found one, at least not one I could afford.

Tried like the dickens to get Peltier Golden Rebels and galaxies and never even saw one for sale.

Now making matters worse - fakes abound and its really hard to put out couple hundred bucks for a marble that might be a fake. For instance - I always really desired to collect a Peltier Comic box and add the Comic marbles one by one - but there ain't no way I am gonna pay the prices those things go for now, especially when I see fakes and repros all over the market driving the value down.

I have purchased several original bags of various sorts and when they arrived and I get my hands on them - I am immediatley suspect of the nice header card and clean mesh on the bag - I mean they look original but are they really??? They have original marbles in them but there is no way to know... So then I bought some with older looking header cards and they arrive and I am left with - well the seller just made it "look" old - :computer-22:

You post a photo of a marble and you get 6 different responses to its origins.

I think some of my despair comes from handling thousands of Vacors and finding some here and there that could just be complete knock offs of older marbles - especially of slags, Ravenswoods and other WV swirls.

My favorites to this day are still the Josh Simpson "earth" marbles along with David Salazar's "tropical fish" - I have them displayed side by side - total spent about $300 or so on 3 marbles...but they are works of art, signed and are well known.

I am sure of the ids of just about all the marbles in my collection. There's only a handful of WV marbles that I'm not positive which company made them, but I'm sure they're all vintage. I buy only what I like. Sometimes I'm a little disappointed on the condition, but never on the vintage. If I'm not sure, I ask someone. I think it's pretty easy to spot a modern marble, including Jabo or Vacor.

i'm startin to think marbles are less collectible than I used to think - way tooo many fakes, frauds and scammers in the market - especially of late - there is no longer a definite way to know what you are buying. Marbles are just too easlily reproduced by fakers to maintain their unique value as a collectors item.

I am seriously considering selling my collection - if anyone is interested....

Maybe it is time to stop collecting. Please note that the fakers are usually journeymen torch guys copying machine made not the other way.Please note that for the most part the better contemporary artists are proud of their work and sign it.

As for what is rare and or confusing, I would be very leary of Peltier if I were you. Pelt made 33,000,000 marbles in 1927 alone. JABO in about 20 years of production hads made about 60,000,000....so be very careful of the Pelts, because they are vey confusing. Hell there isn't even a good definition of an NLR or Rainbo. Three different authors seem to have three different definitions of a Pelt called a Champion JR. I can't even fathom how dangerous it might be buying Akro.

I guess I'll put my duck boat in the St. Lawrence and go out into the main shipping channel and dump my 45+ year collection into a 10 knot current. Care to join me? I'll let you dump yours first...

As psia put it, "contemporary artists are proud of their work, and sign it." I couldn't agree more. There is just one thing I want to know... when and where will you guys be taking this boat trip? As I would like to have my snorkel in the water that day. With a fine mesh net, I should be able to score quite a few nice pieces I'd otherwise not afford.

Production figures can be misleading. In 1927, 40% of Peltier's marbles were seconds, some usable, most not.

In 1933/34 Peltier made about 160,000 picture marbles. By late 1937, they had sold only about 30,000, and 20,000 were missing or unaccounted for, and the remaining 120,000 were junked.

I wonder how many of the Jabos are actually played with, compared to the Peltier marbles made 80 years ago.

Just because a marble maker signs his mibs, doesn't necessarily mean he is proud of them. I sign my marbles so the unscrupulous sellers won't try to pass them off as Jabos, to get more money.

mike b.

When I read this........

I always really desired to collect a Peltier Comic box and add the Comic marbles one by one - but there ain't no way I am gonna pay the prices those things go for now, especially when I see fakes and repros all over the market driving the value down.

I realized how much I felt much the same way... In some respects....

When I started collecting, the prices were FAR more reasonable... Sure, there were things I couldn't afford (Though, I wish I had the chance to pay those prices today!!!) But, for the most part, one could scratch the hobby addiction itch on a weekly basis and stay pretty happy....

Because I was able to buy some very nice stuff at very reasonable prices back then, my collection is at a level where the additions I "need" for it are FAR beyond what I can afford... What I can afford, I don't need....

That was when I found myself getting farther into contemporaries... I could get the thrill of buying something that REALLY wowed me.... I was able to afford it.... AND, it comes with something that vintage marbles don't come with... An Artist that you can interact with!!!

Sooooo, when you say.....

My favorites to this day are still the Josh Simpson "earth" marbles along with David Salazar's "tropical fish" - I have them displayed side by side - total spent about $300 or so on 3 marbles...but they are works of art, signed and are well known.

You may have come to your own solution... Maybe you should check into the contemporary market a little more!!

The Wheaton Show is happening in Millville, NJ on the June 18-20 weekend. It is MECCA for both artists and collectors alike!!

Some people do sell vintage there, but because it's primarily a contemporary show, it can be good pickin' for vintage, too!!!

Also.... when you say....

I think some of my despair comes from handling thousands of Vacors and finding some here and there that could just be complete knock offs of older marbles - especially of slags, Ravenswoods and other WV swirls.

Why the despair?? If you find them and you like them, BUY them!!! Who cares if they are Vacors!!

Yes... I understand why you feel a little betrayed by the confusion... BUT, if you can get the same enjoyment from a Vacor, as you can from a vintage marble, is there anything wrong with that?? I don't think so....

This huge bruiser is one of my VERY favorite marbles... It is displayed with some of my best vintage and signed contemporaries...

post-3-126436713781_thumb.jpg

When non-collectors view my collection, they have no idea of the vast "social & economic" differences between that Vacor and the "high brow" stuff it sits next to... After all... In the end, they ALL are just what you say....

after all they are only a wad of glass.

Buy what you love, love what you buy.... Don't sweat the social pressure!!!!

people like different marbles. i like akro and master, hard to find these days in my price range plus wet mint ones are harder to find. the other old vintage companies are about the same. no more will be made ever from the companies.

marble king and jabo are nice too. the older marble king are nice. the newer ones are ok but are still being produced and as said before they are mostly collected and not played with so there are more mint ones for your collecting pleasure.

the newer runs of jabo just keep getting better and better but there are more nice ones available than the older stuff simply due to the fact that they are made for collectors and not young kids.

vacor, imperial, and all others come next to me.

i couldn't tell a fake if it bit me.

but i like the vintage marbles. there may have been more made but most have been lost and/or damaged so if you can find some of them (akro, mfc, cac, master, master glass, pelt, alley, kokomo, jackson, ravenswood, davis, cairo, heaton, bogard, vitro, higher-end champion, early mk, and the other rarer companies) buy them. in the end they will hold their value and their collectabilty will go up.

just my opinion. :white-flag-25:

I am sure of the ids of just about all the marbles in my collection. There's only a handful of WV marbles that I'm not positive which company made them, but I'm sure they're all vintage. I buy only what I like. Sometimes I'm a little disappointed on the condition, but never on the vintage. If I'm not sure, I ask someone. I think it's pretty easy to spot a modern marble, including Jabo or Vacor.

yeah LOL buy yourself a 500 count bulk bag of Mega Marbles "Old Fashioned" style - you will be astonished how much these resemble vintage stock marbles and they have been getting snookered into the vintage WV marble market for years now:

That was when I found myself getting farther into contemporaries... I could get the thrill of buying something that REALLY wowed me.... I was able to afford it.... AND, it comes with something that vintage marbles don't come with... An Artist that you can interact with!!!

Sooooo, when you say.....

You may have come to your own solution... Maybe you should check into the contemporary market a little more!!

Yep that thought has occurred to me - but the entire hobby especially the vintage end has been something of great interest to me for year and years - I started with the marbles my Grandfather - (a railroad worker from Kansas who grew up in the 1920's) gave me when I was just 20 years old....been at it ever since - just seems to have lost its luster....not to the point of dumping them in a river though, and If I threw them into my backyard pisa would show up with a flashlight and keep my dogs up at night...LOL

people like different marbles. i like akro and master, hard to find these days in my price range plus wet mint ones are harder to find. the other old vintage companies are about the same. no more will be made ever from the companies.

marble king and jabo are nice too. the older marble king are nice. the newer ones are ok but are still being produced and as said before they are mostly collected and not played with so there are more mint ones for your collecting pleasure.

the newer runs of jabo just keep getting better and better but there are more nice ones available than the older stuff simply due to the fact that they are made for collectors and not young kids.

vacor, imperial, and all others come next to me.

i couldn't tell a fake if it bit me.

but i like the vintage marbles. there may have been more made but most have been lost and/or damaged so if you can find some of them (akro, mfc, cac, master, master glass, pelt, alley, kokomo, jackson, ravenswood, davis, cairo, heaton, bogard, vitro, higher-end champion, early mk, and the other rarer companies) buy them. in the end they will hold their value and their collectabilty will go up.

just my opinion. :white-flag-25:

1. AKro corks - ok
  2. MK Patch ribbon patch from the 50's - ok
  3. Master Marbles have a contemporary knock off - marketed as Imperials or new toy marbles - pick up several new bags at your local Wal Mart - its extremely hard to tell the difference between these new marbles and a vintage Master Marble - and these have been creeping into the vintage market for years now, spoiling vintage collections.
  4. The majority of the so called West Virginia Swirls - heaton, ravenswood, cairo, swirls are nearly worthless - the new market is flooded with look a likes
  5. and as for MFC and CAC - so very few were made and so very many are on the market - there is no way to know what you are buying is original - there is very little original stuff to compare to to know, and yet huge claims from better known collectors have left everyone digging through piles of marbles to find the "one" - LOL
    I was sent a CAC for comparison purposes by a collector when I first opened Marble Mansion - he swore it was a CAC - he had no provenance as to its origins - only his word - but to this day I cannot tell it apart from a common everyday marble.

as for Jabos - well imho Jabos have become a pain in the ass to collect - so many varieties and so many different runs and no way to keep up with them unless you are absolutely sold out to collect jabos - lots of space on your collection shelves would be eaten up by even a modest collection of current run jabos. They used to be fun when they had a single run every fall and you could collect a set and date them - not now - by the time you get a set together - there are 3 new runs out already that are as different as a duck from a dog while at the same time are as similar as a blackbird to a crow - confusing as hell. Add in Mike Rowe burning his ass while melting in a little gold lutz and voila - you have everone searching though piles of worthless crap for the "one" again. LOL

I don't know....sounds like a lot of whining to me. The field of marble collecting is strong, a LOT of people are having fun, kids are playing the game again and marbles are beautiful. Get over it! David

P.S. It would be so much easier to be understanding and show kindness if the wailing weren't so acerbic.

Marblemansion,I am sorry to hear you are not enjoying your hobby at this time but all things change and heal with time,I am told.I am privaliged to work at my own bussiness with my wife,she is a great partner.Everynight as we drive home we take turns sharing three things that we are thankful for that happened that day.Many times we have more than three things each to be happy about,it's very uplifting.Very rarley are marbles one of my three blessings for the day,there is much more to life than marbles.Rather than throw out the marbles you love so much it might be a good idea to set them aside for awhile and focus on the things you can identify,understand and be thankful for.We all become frustrated ,these are hard times but there are things you can give thanks for.Hang in there,bo

Marblemansion . . . Rather than throw out the marbles you love so much it might be a good idea to set them aside for awhile and focus on the things you can identify,understand and be thankful for. . .

Forget it. I think he should throw them all out in his back yard so me and psia-antique can go over there with shovels and flashlights. And large sacks. And maybe a red waggon.