Gear Shift Knobs

Ally Opp

I have been meaning to ask this for some time but keep forgetting....glass gear shift knobs. Which companies produced them? I almost bought one in Nevada, but backed off because it had one small flake. It was a bright green and white opaque swirl. I have seen a few others, but without any information or values. The price for the knob I didn't buy was $65.00. Should I run back up to Nevada and purchase it?

hi! we've collected them for many years. and yeah they are being reproduced. before buying, one, they need to be as close to perfect as possible. 2, you can easily tell the new ones from the old ones by the threaded insert. the new ones are shiny bright aluminum. usually.

the prices they fetch depends on the patterning and the number of colors used.

these knobs were never original equipment either. they were an after market accessory. hope this helped a little.

One of the companies making glass gear shift knobs in 1929 (at least) was the L. J. Houze Convex Glass Co. . . .

I'm pretty sure I have at least one other company name somewhere. I'll try to find that. . . . [edit: It was the Globe Specialty Co. Doesn't necessarily look as if they made them though. They were charged with unfair practices in "sale and distribution". So it's not clear who their supplier was.]

I found that other company's name when reading about the California Agate Co. aka the California Onyx Co., who made onyx gear shift knobs.

Onyx knobs were popular in the 1920's and 1930's, and glass companies jumped on that, making them a lot cheaper than the onyx companies could. The Federal Trade Commission stepped in to try to stop misleading advertising.

What are the opinions on which are spinner or shifter knobs? One is round like a pool ball. The other is round but more flat and usually has two grouves around the middle. The $65.00 is a average price for a vintage one. They can be more depending on colors,pattern and condiion.

hi Ron.the flatter ones can also be shift knobs. there were a couple varieties. the suicide knobs are smaller for the stearing wheel, and usually not glass. mostly catalin or bakelite. what is confusing is there are also glas finials for the smokers stands that look like shift knobs. but are usually a translucent glass base, although not always, a bit smaller, and the threading is differest as well. the new ones are made in china.. sorry sue.lol'I had this picture on file from a discussion on the akro ashtrays... but you can see a few of the gear shift knobs.. hope this helps a little.

ashtrays.jpg

Great replys and information everyone, thanks! I am glad I didn't plunk down the money for that knob, as I do believe it was a newer one. It had the shiny threaded insert, plus a small chip. It got my attention because I have seen (rarely) some discussion and pictures of knobs, but not enough to be certain. Now I know! Zaboo, those are some nice looking knobs....lots of styles. I kind of miss the spinner knobs.......yah hoo! You can have them installed in cases of handicap limitations. My daughter has a Subaru that had one. Luckily she took it off.

My first gear shift knob cost e $2300 but it was on a 1930 model A coupe still have the knob but the A went years ago. be care full buying gear shift knobs there almost as addicting as marbles and then well you start looking at lamp finals ? Mike

post-94-127095594708_thumb.jpgpost-94-1270955954_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...