Some Handgathered Marbles

lstmmrbls

Do you have a close-up of a folded pontil? That's the only one I'm not sure I've seen . . . is it the same type I've seen elsewhere called a "finger" pontil?

Don't know if this would qualify as a folded. I have heard this type described as a "fingernail" pontil (lower left). Although I do not believe it is a true pontil. Hope this helps.

pslag.jpg

thanks.

just wondering Galen, are any of those cane cut?

I think ,i see a few LOL.

Just wondering, did you Galen or any one else ever got this sort out of Germany?

I know they are found in England -Canadian Australien and I found them here in Holland.

winnie

Yes I have received many of these from German parcels. Most of the ones in the left side(except the melted pontils). The right side has a lot of the spider web rough pontil Japanese types. And no matter how hard I look Dubby, I can not find a cane cut marble in the bunch. :rolleye-842:

I like seeing these types, my other thread seemed to die on the vine. Anyhow, any related info I find interesting - there is much to learn. Thanks *edit* two in this photo for the cane-cut fans, not intended to cause confusion (just because I think they look nice together and I don't have a big yellow handgathered). :white-flag-25:

113_3426-2.jpg

Stacy, The German handgathered marbles IMO date from the 1850-70s for the ground pontil types to the 30s when Gob feeders started to be used. Most handgathered do not really have a pontil but a shear mark that shows as certain shapes depending on type of shear method of rounding and temp of glass when sheared. Personally I believe German marble machines and their use followed about the same timelines as American manufacturers. I know of no real good books on this subject. I have gotten a lot of information from adds in toy catalogs pamphlets ect., original packaging and from what other marbles were often in the groups with the handgathered marbles. There is one Block book titled Collecting Early Machine Made Marbles that deals with a lot of the Handgathered marbles. It has many good pictures. I also have some of the "Canadian" types and American handgathered slags in different containers.