Favorite Marble Company

Chordus

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the three major marble companies is your favorite?

2. 2. Of the other marble companies, which produced your favorite marbles?

• Alley
    • Alox
    • C.E. Bogard & Sons
    • Cairo
    • Champion
    • Davis
    • Heaton
    • Jabo
    • Jackson
    • Kokomo
    • M.F. Christensen
    • Marble King
    • Master
    • Mid-Atlantic of WV
    • Playrite
    • Ravenswood
    • Vacor
    • Vitro

I've separated the companies into two groups because I feel as though most collectors tend to go towards Akro, Peltier, and CAC, while I'm more interested in what people think of the other companies.

In the case of Jabo, do NOT include the limited collectors runs. In the case of all of these marbles, I'm only interested in knowing about mass-produced marbles which would have been sold in stores and played with by children.

you forgot one important place to poke....all......everybody would like a ca cobra but even a simple alley could be a coveted marble....a favorite marble could be a bennington that your grandpa gave ya 50 years ago...imho it haint all about the best or the most ...its about ...history ...friendships...get togethers....and marbles is the catalist

I was having a hard time with where to place MFC, to be honest. They're certainly one of the originals, and have some good marbles, but I feel as though they don't get as much press.

Vitro is a little newer than the others if I recall, yes? Or they lasted longer? My marble history isn't 100% up to snuff, I fear.

I guess I'll give my basic reasons on my selections for the top three here. Whenever I look in books or boards, Akro, Pelt, and CAC are always the ones with the biggest selections, and always the ones with the most consistently highest-priced marbles. MFC usually gets a back seat to those three, and though I don't understand why, I've just gone with it. Vitro also gets a good mention most times, but their marbles generally don't run as high.

How about this: we can delete this poll and create a new one if we all come to a consensus as to what should be at the top.

Vitro is a little newer than the others if I recall, yes? Or they lasted longer? My marble history isn't 100% up to snuff, I fear.

Vitro also gets a good mention most times, but their marbles generally don't run as high.

1932-1992. Longest lived U.S. marble company that I can think of. Their name even lives on as a legal entity under Jabo. (If I'm not mistaken.)

That most of their marbles are so affordable is part of their charm. New collectors and longtimers can both find something to hunt for.

How about this: we can delete this poll and create a new one if we all come to a consensus as to what should be at the top.

Nah, it's okay. You learned something making it. And you got some good comments. If you really really want it closed, I think I can do that. Don't see any harm in it staying open though.

lewisl.moore.jpg

Lewis L. Moore was the plant manager at Vitro Agate and a great marble maker. The Tribute group named a marble in the Legacy Run (November 2009) at JABO for him. At our last run December 2010, his widow, two of his children, and a daughter in law were in attendance. Meeting them was really nice and they had a great time seeing the old machines and talking about vitro marbles.

moorefamily2best.jpgIn the Legacy run there are a lot of marbles named for people who had an influence on the career of David McCullough. I never posted them because some people who read here don't like JABO. I quit showing the marbles. Couldn't resist the one above, because we presented Mrs. Moore with a box containing marbles named for her husband and some from others that she personally knew, like Lawrence Alley and Roger Howdyshell.

In the pic are Lewis L. Moore, Jr., Mrs Opal Moore, Autim Moore, and Linda Simmons. Mrs. Moore is holding the box I gave her.

mrs.moore27sbox1.jpggiftbox2.jpg

The gift box

Top row of marbles are Lewis L. Moore,

2nd row are Roger Howdyshell,

bottom row is Lawrence Alley

The third row is named for the run Legacy. The most important influence on Mr. McCullough is his wife Bonnie and the marble is in honor of her.

yes delete it ....ive got a vote for no more popularity contests...

For most people, marble collecting is about collecting what you like. I don't think it's unfair to ask collectors what they like, is it?

Besides, it's not like a vote for one company means that you hate the others. I voted for Ravenswood because I like the colors and patterns, but that doesn't mean that I hate Jabo or Marble King or Alley.

I'm also not asking people to rate the owners of the company. We all know that the owners work hard at what they do, and they all deserve credit for the marbles they make.

I was considering combining Vitro/Jabo, but I think that Jabo has become its own entity, and its marbles are sufficiently different enough that I figured separating them made more sense.

Let's just keep the polls as they are. I apologize to everybody if my grouping isn't perfect.