Marbles At Flea Markets

I know someone mentioned this in another topic, but with Spring/Summer finally here in full force in the Northeast, I've begun to notice it at the local flea markets. Over the past 10 or 15 years I've rarely bought marbles at them. Usually you're lucky to you find one person with marbles, and they are usually jars of junk or very overpriced handmades. But, over the past few weeks I've seen many more people with marbles at the flea markets and it is higher quality stuff at reasonable prices. I have probably bought more marbles at flea markets in the past 4 weeks than I've bought in the last 10 years.

Has anyone else noticed this? To what do you attribute it? Economy? Aging population?

Hi Bob!

Agree! we've found a lot more too!. especially at the antique shows, and very reasonably priced for the most part. Guess when times get tough, the good stuff comes Ernie & Dani

009-2-1.jpgYes I agree also.Here in Reno we have several flea markets and antique shows .I love to go and see what is available,It's always different.Yesterday I went to an antique show and there were lots of marbles,had to look at them all most were junk but I did find these in a two dollar bin.I saw a basket full of large carpet balls,maybe 12 of them,selling for $100 ea. a little high?They looked like the real deal.

all fleamarket found (this weekend) .....I actually have cultivated a following were people will bring marbles if you ask them .... and yes that included the miller swirl and akro blue oxblood @.50 cents each......the real secret is if "the sun is up your already late" but to answer your question I lend the "Aging population" and a certain "lack" of interest and knowledge , people do not know what they have. Pop.

post-2349-130729509161_thumb.jpg

post-2349-130729510611_thumb.jpg

post-2349-130729511641_thumb.jpg

It's all about the Hunt, but if some says to me that, they've "already lost their marbles" again I think I hear that at least 8 times a weekend well I might just scream...pop.

I hate that line, I went yard sale hoping all weekend and that's all I heard. Sometimes I want to say it for them, before they have the chance to get it out.

I can dream can't I? LOL!

It was advertised about 2 weeks ago in the Antiques and Arts Weekly and Maine Antique Digest, so I figured I'd see a bunch of New England collectors. But, the auctioneer sent out postcards to everyone and his uncle this week, so I guess there will be a big crowd. Oh well, so much for some bargains!

I'm not sure how much use the catalogue is if you want to absentee bid, as each lot only has a picture and a size. No grading of condition. Good pics though.

Douglas holds one or two large paperweight auctions a year and I've bought a number of weights from them over the years. Through past experience I now only buy if I can actually get up there and look at the weights.

Good and very competent auctioneers.

i picked these up from a friend, the orange slag was a surprise, the white slags dont look like much but they are cool 9's,,, not much for the top shelf collectors but for whats its worth they made my day,,,bj

post-127-130800070084_thumb.jpg

edited to ad i know these arent flea market finds but it saves another thread.