Same Run Machine Made's?

Thousands of milky Oxbloods came out of the ground at Akro. Many very mint, Same run? Seeing how Akro and a few other companies made their own glass and made the same style marble day after day after day would that be considered same run?? A run may have lasted weeks or more

Guest browse4antiques

All same-run or same-cane examples are "presumed" to be so. As Galen pointed out, the same style was often repeated. But if the marbles are very similar, and if there is some clear provenance indicating that they are same-run, I believe they are very worthwhile, and likely merit a premium. Each manufacturer used processes that produced some variation within a run, and understanding that variation is a key ingredient in understanding marbles. Here are some illustrations of these points: ... Roger

Here is a pair of handmades that are identical in construction, but I found them 50 miles and 10 years away from each other. I have also found exactly the same marble, but with the orange and orange-red reversed so that the orange is in the middle.

hm-1.jpg

For handmades, we know pretty well that examples that were consecutive, or nearly consecutive, on the cane are going to be nearly identical, and I don't feel they are very interesting beyond that. I think they become much more interesting when they indicate the variation that takes place along the cane.

hm-2.jpg

hm-3.jpg

hm-4.jpg

For machinemades, same-run pairs or sets can tell us a lot about the consistency with which they were produced - for example, consider this pair of 1" cross-through catseyes.

mm-1.jpg

I think having same-run pairs of corkscrews can add to our understanding of the process, and in particular, Akro's use of tracing colors and variations in construction.

mm-2.jpg

mm-3.jpg

Same-run sets are also useful in understanding the consistency of handgathered examples.

hg-1.jpg

Same run same day????? notice the 2 fine lines beside the large color stripe, Colors change the longer in the furnace, They would have had to change the rounding rollers during this run to make the 2 size marbles

8275099.JPG

Thousands of milky Oxbloods came out of the ground at Akro. Many very mint, Same run? Seeing how Akro and a few other companies made their own glass and made the same style marble day after day after day would that be considered same run?? A run may have lasted weeks or more

Might be trivial but it's the pattern we're talking about here right? ie: similar pattern on marbles consecutively coming off the machine.

Nevermind, saw the CAC pic and I think we're on the same page with pattern/construction and so-called 'consecutive' marbles

I bring that up because of the recent Jabo runs and the later vintage cullet use marbles many folks have come to think of a machine made marble run being finite and to the degree of only a few thousand marbles. This just wasn't the case back in the day with most marbles. The runs often lasted days or even weeks or possibly longer. Much of the stuff put in the ground was part of a run that did not work or often a short run when things turned bad. The term "experimental"(rediculously used IMO) is a term used when there is real no way to prove the manufacturer was actually experimenting. Wow I got way off track(LOL).

I would imagine most pattern similarities on swirls would be a fairly short lived happening, Since everything involved in making the marble would have to remain exactly the same it just amazes me to find these situations. Glass temp must remain the same the orifice must stay open to exactly the same size. The striking glass must remain in exactly the same thickness and the glass must fold in exactly the same pattern. And although the similar marbles may are from the same run it is possible there were millions of others from the same run that have no pattern similarity. Amazing!!!!!!!

Guest browse4antiques

Its not possible for 2 marbles to be exactly the same. I think that my 2 catseyes posted above are about as close as they could be. ... Roger

Yes, I do. But only a pair of 3/4" zebras. I missed out on a pair of cubscouts though. I have no others. To me that shows how rare machine mades are to fined exact matches. For William, I would not call all of the ones he shows exact. Some of them yes. for Roger's cat eye to me it's just a cat eye with same color combo.

Guest browse4antiques

There is usually some oddity of construction that supports the idea of being "same". Each of my 1" catseyes have one wing that is half white half orange. Both the popeyes have an extra band of green. The onions each have a small streak of orange. ... Roger

That was from just one 10,000 count box. Were there others? Very much likely. Jabo contract runs are usually 80,000-120,000. That is considered small compared to an akro or pelt run that could have lasted days. I said improbable but not impossible when say a run may be 1,000,000 or more. Since Steph is the resident math person maybe she can figure some of the odds.

Those were from a 10,000 count Akro box I bought and sold most in New Philly. There were thousands of same run corks in various color combos. Thanks for posting those BJ, forgot how nice they were. There were 5 or 6 of these wood crates that existed, all had the same color combos in them for the most part.