Marine Cyrstals

My files of bag photos are in disarray due to awkward backups before computer reformatting. Hopefully Al will have the bags.

I know that Vitro trademarked the name "Marine Gems" in 1941.

Here's a 1959 ad which shows a different header on Peltier's poly bag version, and a price list.

post-279-0-44681500-1377148038_thumb.jpgpost-279-0-26856900-1377148047_thumb.jpgpost-279-0-70490600-1377148059_thumb.jpgpost-279-0-44471600-1377148067_thumb.jpg

My guess is that it may have been a jobber type bag. I'd normally guess Berry Pink or Pressman but Pressman usually put his name on the header somewhere. Obviously Peltier is a possibility as they used the 'Marine Crystals' name. Of course, MK did also along with 'Marine Puries' but the MK bags are all polybags. Here are some pics of the ones I have that are similar.

post-60-0-45139100-1377370155_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-89017400-1377370172_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-69475800-1377370187_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-45308700-1377370203_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys!!!

Well Al, your bags are the same as mine.

I'm thinking Peltier, why not? Look at the other Peltier mesh bags. Champion Jr. for example. All caps, fancy square around the words, "made in u.s.a." is the same.

When I bought these today, I asked him if these were Peltier's and he said yes.... ??? anyone can say anything when $$$ are involved.

I'm inclined to think the mesh bags are Peltier. We know Peltier used the name Marine Crystals. We know other companies had other names for clearies. So until I get more info I'll guess the Pre-MK "Marine Crystals" were all Pelt. (Do they have a Pelt structure under blacklight?)

MK using the name later even makes some sense because of the connection between Peltier and Berry Pink.

P.s., when I say "are Peltier", I'm not ruling out jobbering -- Berry Pink jobbered Pelts.

FWIW, One thing I've noticed about Pelt Crystals is that many are highly reflective - more so than other makers, I think - especially red, yellow, orange and green ones. You could make a great sign out of them.

Hi. Okay I have taken a closer looks at these. Maybe Al can verify my results with his bags as well.

#8 are 1"

#20 are 11/16" to 3/4" hard to measure in the bag.

Ric. Yes a flash light will light them up (front or back).

Now, here's where it get interesting. Steph, I couldn't really see any seams or what not. Untill I put a black light on them.

All bags the blue was UV.

3 of the Red's in two bags, had an Orange UV band that went between 2 seams. (under black light)

Also noticed that the red ones have a few bubbles in them.

I couldn't really see any seams or what not. Untill I put a black light on them.

3 of the Red's in two bags, had an Orange UV band that went between 2 seams. (under black light)

Also noticed that the red ones have a few bubbles in them.

I have one of these orange/red ones that light up like that (2-seam day-glo orange) under black light. It was given to me as a Pelt (along with a few other types) by Art Jones (everyone take a moment to remember him fondly!) a few years ago . . . with good Peltier provenance.