Silver Surfer Question

ann

While staring admiringly at Dani's Silver Surfer in another Pelt thread, it occured to me that I don't know what the distinction is between the Silver Surfer and the also spectacular large marble usually called the Jolly Green Giant, or sometimes just Green Giant. I've managed to rake three of them into my cave over the years, and I'm open to re-homing more . . .

Some think the Green Giants are Alley. Maybe they are and maybe they're not -- I don't know. Not talking about that distinction, anyway.

Is there a discernable physical / visual difference between the two? (having never seen a known Silver Surfer in person) Or are they really the same thing? And therefore . . .problematic?

Totally different in appearance and construction. Giant is a dark transparent green AV base with white swirls. Similar to a wire pull. Surfer base is clear with a slight green tint. Lots of bubbles. No Av in base. Has white ribbons and black AV ribbons swirled inside with the ribbons come to the surface. The ribbons are like waves. Some multi colored has this same construction. There is another type of surfer that the ribbons are on surface only.

Giant is a dark transparent green AV base with white swirls. Similar to a wire pull. Surfer base is clear with a slight green tint. Lots of bubbles. No Av in base. Has white ribbons and black AV ribbons swirled inside with the ribbons come to the surface. The ribbons are like waves . . .

Thanks Clyde -- that's the best explanation I've gotten. Since I've never seen a Silver Surfer in person, I haven't been able to tell from photos that the Surfer's base has no aventurine, and that the aventurine is actually in black ribbons.

Anybody have a good pic of a Green Giant? I don't. My new camera and I aren't speaking yet. But I also don't remember seeing any good pics of one. They seem to be hard to photograph -- the depth and denseness of the internal aventurine is hard to capture, and they frequently contain flecks of white oven debris, which can be distracting.

Chuck, you there? You used to have a bunch of them -- have any good pics?

The one I got from you is happy to be with others of it's kind . . .

And, um, Dani, maybe you better send me that Silver Surfer, just to study for a little while, you know. I'll send it back. I swear. Really. Almost right away. Promise.

Anybody have a good pic of a Green Giant? I don't. My new camera and I aren't speaking yet. But I also don't remember seeing any good pics of one. They seem to be hard to photograph -- the depth and denseness of the internal aventurine is hard to capture, and they frequently contain flecks of white oven debris, which can be distracting.

The one I got from you is happy to be with others of it's kind . . .

And, um, Dani, maybe you better send me that Silver Surfer, just to study for a little while, you know. I'll send it back. I swear. Really. Almost right away. Promise.

Love ya Ann, but i just can't part with it. :D

Is the consensus that Green Giants are Alley? Or are there other theories?

(I got my first one from Alan B., who just labeled it "West Virginia aventurine swirl." He said he suspected Alley, but he didn't say why . . .)

I need to see a picture. So far the marble you're describing is one which sounded like one I had which I thought was a Jabo.

But I don't have the marble anymore -- sold it on ebay. If it turned into an Alley after I sold it, then :( .... but it might not be the same marble after all.

Very curious now!

They're all big --I forget the size exactly, but it's not far off 7/8. And like Clyde said, with a transparent green base glass purely loaded with aventurine, and a white wire-pull-like thing going on inside, and in some places touching the surface. Usually has white specks of debris inside, and sometimes on the surface. Def not Jabo, though.

There's gotta be a pic around here somewhere . . .

For those who are not familiar with this marble, the white wire-like swirls can vary from what you see in Sami's example to pretty thick and opaque. Sometimes widening into narrow ribbons.The aventurine is sometimes so dense the marble looks black at first glance. I like them a little lighter than that, just because they sparkle more. The white debris flecks can cause some of them to look damaged, but if you look closely they're just debris flecks, not hits. Those too can be few or many.

So if you find one, just send it to me to verify and all, I'll send it back soon, well, pretty soon, you know, unless I forget -- I'm old . . .

Yes, thanks Steph! And thanks, Sami!

I thought I was going to be able to level my "near" unparalleled knowledge of silver-age comic books for a minute.....I was fooled !!!

Sorry. SS was a favorite of mine too. Although I preferred Thor (Ragnarok! Fire and Ice monsters!) and Dr. Strange (Infinity! EEEE!)

Some cool people from Indianapolis :P scored the best ones a few years back in vegas but I think I still have this one

jollygreen2001.jpg

jollygreen2002.jpgjollygreen2003.jpgjollygreen2004.jpg

jollygreen2005.jpgjollygreen2006.jpgjollygreen2007.jpg

jollygreen2008.jpgjollygreen2009.jpgjollygreen2010.jpg

Very much so different from a pelt, the Av is very sparkly and is bronze in some samples.....this one has "gunsmoke grey" colored swirls

jollygreen2012.jpgjollygreen2013.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Clyde is exactly right on the description of the pelt "Silver Surfer". He and i have discussed this many times and i feel he is right on. There are some of these out there but vhtf. There is another pelt that kinda falls into this similiar style and its the pelt "Black Universe" and it has the same characteristics as the "Surfer but contains along with black av the blue av. In the photo, the second row bottom left is the "Surfer" and the far right end is the "Universe". Sorry the photo isnt real good. I can go farther into detail on these if you all like. This is my opinions and most of the other peltheads will most of the time agree. Chuck G--

post-2867-0-55310400-1381156755_thumb.jp