This Was News Today

winnie

Neat!

Duffy, I let google translate the text for me. It didn't mention the cat's eyes specially but it mentioned that Ms. Kupers' grandchildren would occasionally play with the marbles. So I'll guess some of the grandkids' marbles got put in the box.

Anne has had the marbles in its possession when she lived on the Merwede place,she lived there until 1942,so the marbles are from before 1942.

I noticed the cat's eyes (looks Japanese),i don't no what to think about it.

Toosje Kupers said: she stored them in a closet.Only for the grandchildren they were taken out occasionally,.

She don't say her grandchildren have played with them,but you never know.

These marbles can't be Anne Frank's....most of them are Japanese cat's eyes and they were made in the early 50's...she died in 1945...

I was questioned by the mail, phone, about this item, all of them ask me how it is possible that those cat's were in that box? During the 50's, these cat's came to Holland, more generation's played with them, but not the generation of Anne Frank, at least not when they were child.

Exactly what I thought too, when I saw the news. Even the clay marbles in the box are very similar to the ones I played with end 70ties early 80ties. But they could be from before 1945. See this link: http://www.knikkerwereld.nl/fotoaardewerk.php. The box with lay marbles look like the ones in the Anne Frank box. But perhaps these kind/similar clay marbles were produced after 1945 also.

This is Bing Translator's literal translation of the text in the first link. It says Anne Frank's marbles were sometimes removed from the closet for the grandchildren.

"Nearly seventy years after the second world war is toys of Anne Frank turned up. The Anne Frank House announced today that Andrew Kamal, the former girl next door of the Frank family, some time ago a look with marbles of Anne has donated. Andrew got the toys by when the family Frank had to go into hiding.

"It was for me anyway but just a few marbles," says the 83-year-old Kamal. For decades they were at her in a closet. Only for the grandchildren they were sometimes removed. They had never thought they would be so valuable for the Anne Frank House.
"Dream come true"

Curator Teresien da Silva says, "it's a dream come true for us. We already have photos of a playing on the Merwedeplein, but that we now have the original marble look of Anne is really fantastic! " According to her, this is the first tangible evidence that Anne could play carefree outdoor for 1942.

At the beginning of the war shared the families Frank and Kamal a portico at the Merwedeplein in Amsterdam. On the only known moving image by Andrew and her family are also appeared, hanging out the window to catch a glimpse of a starting wedding couple.
Move

The families had a good band. Before the move to the secret annex at Prinsengracht brought the family Frank precious stuff to the neighbors, including the marbles.

After the war, father Otto Frank back to the Merwedeplein. "He had to tell us that Margot and Anne were no longer there. I thought that was very much ", says Kamal.

The marbles of Anne stayed behind. They can be seen on the tentoonstellingDe second world war in 100 objects in the Kunsthal in Rotterdam, which the King will open tomorrow. At the same time as the marbles was Kamal also a tea service and a book by Anne."

On this picture of Anne's marbles,i see some German cat's eyes.

I've always believed these are from the 30s.

In most of the old marble groups (beforeWW11) that i've found here in Holland,they have some German cat's between them.

Anne's tin box

annefrankmarblesamp52_zps3b6d609d.jpg

Here are some of my German cat's

catgerMedium_zpsd4b6c0da.jpg

Boy! It's really fascinating that something so meaningful for so many people has happened.

And that when you get down to it, it's the knowledgeable people here who can best interpret

what the entire world is seeing!

A big thanks to Bob and M!B$ for the English translations!

Winnie, I remember thinking in the first photos I saw that the cat eye style marbles had a

'newer' look to them. And that the more 'earthy' looking single color marbles looked older.

But this is from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

In your last post are you thinking that these 'newer-looking' marbles could be older, but

weren't played with, so could still be in excellent condition?

Seems possible. We all think of Anne Frank as existing in 'black and white'.

And of course that's not the case! ( :

To me the German cats look different from the ones in the box.

In the box the vanes look sharper and smoother to me. And that particular shade of turquoise always makes me think of Japanese (or Vitro if the vanes look right, but in this case Japanese).

To me the German cats look different from the ones in the box.

In the box the vanes look sharper and smoother to me. And that particular shade of turquoise always makes me think of Japanese (or Vitro if the vanes look right, but in this case Japanese).

Hi Steph

I agree with you, I also have German cat's, 99% of them have two or more colors and indeed they are less sharper then the modern cat's, they are fat. And even if it were German cat's, as far as I know, they were made in Illmenau, starting in the early 50's.

Cees

Yes you both are right,when i first saw the marbles on TV,i said to my husband,this is not good,there are newer Japanese cat's in the box,it's not possible Anne has played with them.

Then i saw this picture of the box and i look close,saw 2 "German"cat's in the right corner,turquoise and green,of which i think are made before WW11,but thats an supposition.

Cees do you have proof this "German"cat's are made in Ill menau in the early 50's,any packed?

More German cat's

DSC04565Medium.jpg

Yes you both are right,when i first saw the marbles on TV,i said to my husband,this is not good,there are newer Japanese cat's in the box,it's not possible Anne has played with them.

Then i saw this picture of the box and i look close,saw 2 "German"cat's in the right corner,turquoise and green,of which i think are made before WW11,but thats an supposition.

Cees do you have proof this "German"cat's are made in Ill menau in the early 50's,any packed?

No not packed, I was in Illmenau, and spoke a man, who worked till the end at the Illmenauer Glasswerken, also at the marblemachines. He told me what I know now.