Another Marble For Consideration

jeroen

In the same group of the unusual ribbon core, was this marble also. It came from the UK. It is a super twisted swirl of some kind. It has a facted pontil also. Especially the photos under water are very nice. In this way it is very good to see how the construction of this marble is. If you take a good look you will see one red band with on each side a very small black line, that is swirling through the core of the marble.

The marble is 11/16 inch. In the book end of day marbles from Block, there are one or two photos in the section of joseph coats that are similar. But in this marble the lines are in several layers. JC's has all the lines in one layer as far as I know. And JC's are later marbles, and they don't have faceted pontils.

So I am not sure in what category to put it. I look forward to hear your thoughts.

Jeroen

post-2911-0-52974400-1392546396_thumb.jp

I heard that from a collector in the USA also. But the facted pontil looks good to me. And there is a cold roll line also. I am wondering if modern marbles have this cold roll lines also. If you consider modern from the last 20 years or so. I think that torch marbles don't have cold roll lines, but I am not expert on that.

And it was in a group of old handmade marbles, most of them old with faceted pontils. And it is from the UK. I think there are not so many marble makers in the UK.

So I give it the favour for it being a old handmade marble.

In the same group of the unusual ribbon core, was this marble also. It came from the UK. It is a super twisted swirl of some kind. It has a facted pontil also. Especially the photos under water are very nice. In this way it is very good to see how the construction of this marble is. If you take a good look you will see one red band with on each side a very small black line, that is swirling through the core of the marble.

The marble is 11/16 inch. In the book end of day marbles from Block, there are one or two photos in the section of joseph coats that are similar. But in this marble the lines are in several layers. JC's has all the lines in one layer as far as I know. And JC's are later marbles, and they don't have faceted pontils.

So I am not sure in what category to put it. I look forward to hear your thoughts.

Jeroen

Very nice finds!

Early solitaire boards had exceptional marbles that often defy categorizing. I was told that in those days, one could walk into a toy store and pick from a barrel the 32 marbles you wanted for your solitaire board. I'm sure the unusual and prettier ones were often chosen, rather than the usual run-of-the-mill playing marbles to which we've now given names.

I've seen several solitaire boards with many unique looking marbles - most in great condition since they were not used for knuckling down.

What were the other marbles in that group?

Contemporary is the first thought when I was looking at it. Marbles made for the English market sometimes have different colors and designs/constructions than the traditional German Handmades so that could be a possibility as well, I believe that is what hdesousa was implying but forgive me if I'm wrong. I still am leaning alittle more towards contemporary though.

Very nice finds!

Early solitaire boards had exceptional marbles that often defy categorizing. I was told that in those days, one could walk into a toy store and pick from a barrel the 32 marbles you wanted for your solitaire board. I'm sure the unusual and prettier ones were often chosen, rather than the usual run-of-the-mill playing marbles to which we've now given names.

I've seen several solitaire boards with many unique looking marbles - most in great condition since they were not used for knuckling down.

What were the other marbles in that group?

Hi Hansel,

You are right, the English solitaire boards have sometimes very unusual marbles. I have seen a few solitaire boards at English auctions last year with very strange marbles on them. See the one attached here. If I remember correctly it is a cheated, shaded? core with mica?

The group the marble from this post came form was very large, several hundreds of marbles. A lot of them very common, but several unusual ones. With the help of Jeroen vV I picked out the most interesting. There was another marble like this one, with the same colors, but simpler design.

England is still a great country for finding unusual marbles. Not the very big rare onionskins or swirls, but the smaller ones, probably from solitaire boards.

Jeroen

post-2911-0-72826200-1392666200_thumb.jp

post-2911-0-87956500-1392666227_thumb.jp

Yes I did, and it does not glow under a blacklight. But lots of old hand mades, swirls and onionskins I have do not glow under a blacklight. Most sulphides glow very strong under a blacklight. I think Swissmarbles (RON) made a post about which and how many marbles glow under blacklight)

Jeroen

I dont think it has to be a new one when it doesnt glow. I just thought it could be an evidence for a new marble when it had a strong blue glow (afaik old ones dont glow bright blue). So there are still chances for it to be old. If it is old, congratulations to that one :)

Hi Hansel,

You are right, the English solitaire boards have sometimes very unusual marbles. I have seen a few solitaire boards at English auctions last year with very strange marbles on them. See the one attached here. If I remember correctly it is a cheated, shaded? core with mica?

The group the marble from this post came form was very large, several hundreds of marbles. A lot of them very common, but several unusual ones. With the help of Jeroen vV I picked out the most interesting. There was another marble like this one, with the same colors, but simpler design.

England is still a great country for finding unusual marbles. Not the very big rare onionskins or swirls, but the smaller ones, probably from solitaire boards.

Jeroen

No way you're only going to post one pic!! How about some more pics of the one with mica.

Looks new to me, most clear glass made prior to 1936 will have a very light glow under UV, manganese was removed from clear glass production in 1936, not all manufacturers used it, also the pontils are too fine, typical faceted pontils are a tad rougher and done with a rotation, not flat and strait, this looks to be ground on a 600 of finer diamond wheel, also, the slightly reversing twist on the one pontil makes me think contemporary as well as the many trapped bubbles under the cane, typical mistakes made by new glassworkers.

JMHO :character-smileys-238: